PDA

View Full Version : Newbie needs some help

LexLociDelicti
12-27-2014, 12:52 PM
Hi all,

I'm new when it comes to strength training (I was a runner [40-50 mile weeks] for many years, but never liked how I looked or felt [fat-skinny runner look] tried weights at a friend's suggestion and love it). I've been doing the 5x5 StrongLifts program (M,W,F) (and some light cardio 2 mornings a week) and am progressing on my lifts nicely, but I think I have to get my diet in order to see real gains. Right now, I'm at 6'4 205, probably about 15-17% BF. My goals are to get strong, without getting a big waist or excess bodyfat. I'm not sure my genetics will be able to get me to single digit bodyfat, but I figure with y size I might be able to lift big.

Anyway, my questions have to do with Macros and timing. Would 40/40/20 be a good ratio to start at? Also if I workout in the morning fasted, is it a good idea to have carbs the night before and immediately after, only? Would doing keto be a better option? The nutrition just seems confusing and everyone seems to have an opinion.

Thanks!

Lance1Woods
01-25-2015, 10:54 AM
Don't worry about macros, worry about micros! Google The Dolce Diet, it will set you on the right path to changing your life!

Gxp23
01-25-2015, 11:07 AM
Don't worry about macros, worry about micros! Google The Dolce Diet, it will set you on the right path to changing your life!

Explain.

BigNattyBiceps
01-25-2015, 11:41 AM
Hi all,

I'm new when it comes to strength training (I was a runner [40-50 mile weeks] for many years, but never liked how I looked or felt [fat-skinny runner look] tried weights at a friend's suggestion and love it). I've been doing the 5x5 StrongLifts program (M,W,F) (and some light cardio 2 mornings a week) and am progressing on my lifts nicely, but I think I have to get my diet in order to see real gains. Right now, I'm at 6'4 205, probably about 15-17% BF. My goals are to get strong, without getting a big waist or excess bodyfat. I'm not sure my genetics will be able to get me to single digit bodyfat, but I figure with y size I might be able to lift big.

Anyway, my questions have to do with Macros and timing. Would 40/40/20 be a good ratio to start at? Also if I workout in the morning fasted, is it a good idea to have carbs the night before and immediately after, only? Would doing keto be a better option? The nutrition just seems confusing and everyone seems to have an opinion.

Thanks!

I would just focus on eating healthy, and some protein with each meal...rest will take care of itself!