PDA

View Full Version : Squats and Deadlifts same WO

EjnarKolinkar
12-27-2014, 12:01 PM
Programs like Texas Method, Starr's, Madcow you always squat and deadlift the same day. Madcow moves the deadlift to the "light" squat workout. Most other programs run the heaviest day with deadlifts early in the week with a midweek recovery day. I liked the midweek model on Madcow. But I see that in order to be fresh to hit the max day on TM deadlifting early in the week would be beneficial.

What have your experiences been with either method, or just squatting and deadlifting on the same day in general?

I know the intensity of the DL work seems unlikely to match that of a dedicated day like 5/3/1, but it seems the volume of the squat work is just being prioritized at the expense of the deadlift. I'm just thinking aloud I guess, eh well, in print.

RT1957
12-27-2014, 12:20 PM
My thoughts are always down the line of push pull with squats being the push and DL being the pull to balance out front and back strength. I DL the last day of the week so it doesn't interfere with any of my other work and I pair it with front squats giving DL's priority. If I did DL's day one I'd have to take a day off before doing my next WO. They really bomb me a lot more than squats...mentally squats are harder physically DL's are harder but I don't freak out before a DL session like I do every time I know I'm squatting

Jtbny
12-27-2014, 12:21 PM
My expereince has been I can't do both with as much intensity the same day as I can when they are done seperatly with some time in between. I do, and have done for a while, squat after my DL on the same day but with far less reps and intensity than I do on my dedicated squat day.

Deadlifts take the most out of me and I need the recovery time.

Tmax55
12-27-2014, 12:46 PM
I've done 5x10 heavy (for that rep range) front squats followed by pyramid deadlifts.

As long as I continue to grow and progress without doing something like that, I will not be repeating that workout. It just took too much out of me.

When I went to legs 3x per week I gave up doing deads and any squat movement on the same day and although I'm back to legs 2x per week during this cut I certainly won't need to go back to doing that.

Two weeks after the cut ends I'll do another 3x per week leg blast for about two months... After that I may try squats and deads same day again but I hope not to need to.

I've no idea if that's helpful but that is my experience/thoughts

Garage Rat
12-27-2014, 12:58 PM
Check out powerlifter Paul Carter's "man maker" program that has squat and DL the same session.

Plateauplower
12-27-2014, 04:21 PM
I have done them together and I'm not a fan. I would squat first though because deads take so much out of my lower back that squats with appreciable weight feel scary if done after deads.

DCSpartan
12-27-2014, 04:28 PM
Only real luck I have had with it is after squats, I grab some straps and go all out with 12-15 rep set of deadlifts then call it a day. Its better then not deadlifting that week at all.

drudixon
12-27-2014, 04:36 PM
For me it depends on the intensity. Sheiko has both, and tho the volume is crazy, the intensity is low, so I managed.

Opaq
12-27-2014, 04:42 PM
Personally, I'm not a fan. This is why I am currently doing the Greyskull full body routine -- you squat twice a week (say, Monday and Friday), and Deadlift once (Wednesday). This works great for me, and I'd recommend this method to anyone who is looking for a full body workout. If you do PPL or something similar, it's not an issue anymore.

kconnell
12-27-2014, 05:48 PM
It depends on the person. I don't do 'regular' deads, but do Stiff-leg variety with hamstrings and legs (thighs) on the same day.

angrypenguin54
12-28-2014, 01:15 AM
I went through an 8 week cycle of doing them on the same day and it wore on me too much. I dont think I will be attempting it again, it just makes for a nasty day that is tough to recover from.

I either do a 3 day a week full body with squats on 2 of the days and DL on the other. I also will run a push/pull A/b with squats on both push, DL on one pull and SLDL on the other pull. I like that routine, but I have to rotate it with the 3 day a week workout every 8 to 12 weeks as my recover suffers toward the end.

JediRN
12-28-2014, 07:52 AM
FLEX told me to superset them about 1.5 years ago so I do. He doesn't question himself so neither do I.

On an unrelated note, I'm recovering from my first weight training related injury. Can't wait to get back to the supersets though.

skk5076
12-28-2014, 08:34 AM
RIP Erector Spinae

Jayjoe
12-28-2014, 08:47 AM
My leg day = squats, sumo deadlifts, RDL, Zercher Squats......works great but I know that after squating first with full intensity that my Sumos cant max out.

EjnarKolinkar
12-28-2014, 02:11 PM
My thoughts are always down the line of push pull with squats being the push and DL being the pull to balance out front and back strength. I DL the last day of the week so it doesn't interfere with any of my other work and I pair it with front squats giving DL's priority. If I did DL's day one I'd have to take a day off before doing my next WO. They really bomb me a lot more than squats...mentally squats are harder physically DL's are harder but I don't freak out before a DL session like I do every time I know I'm squatting

Squats are harder but DL's make me want to take more naps too. I think they are the ultimate insomnia cure.

My expereince has been I can't do both with as much intensity the same day as I can when they are done seperatly with some time in between. I do, and have done for a while, squat after my DL on the same day but with far less reps and intensity than I do on my dedicated squat day.

Deadlifts take the most out of me and I need the recovery time.

I read often of how many programs are squat heavy and not ideally suited in terms of specificity for powerlifters who have DL as 40% of their total. IDK how to translate that for myself. I can't progress at a beginner level anymore, I don't have the recovery. But I'm still pretty far from an "intermediate".

I think that is why I keep gravitating to texas method. IDK maybe practical programming just brainwashed me, lol. And I guess I am biased as I've had good results from 2x "hard" leg sessions a week.

FLEX told me to superset them about 1.5 years ago so I do. He doesn't question himself so neither do I

I like the volume work of SLDL, GHR, GM's whatever on a squat day. I guess I will have to order big boy pants and handle the intensity day and see what happens.

Personally, I'm not a fan. This is why I am currently doing the Greyskull full body routine -- you squat twice a week (say, Monday and Friday), and Deadlift once (Wednesday). This works great for me, and I'd recommend this method to anyone who is looking for a full body workout. If you do PPL or something similar, it's not an issue anymore.

Lot's of folks seem to like that LP for that reason. Thanks for your thoughts.