PDA

View Full Version : Mind over Matter

mikemodjeski7
12-25-2014, 08:16 AM
Just saw this yesterday, I find it hard to believe that it works to the degree stated.

http://www.breitbart.com/news/mind-over-matter-the-brain-alone-can-tone-muscle/

Squid24
12-25-2014, 08:23 AM
Just saw this yesterday, I find it hard to believe that it works to the degree stated.

http://www.breitbart.com/news/mind-over-matter-the-brain-alone-can-tone-muscle/
I call BS. Mind/Muscle while working out with weights yes, but just thinking about working out...NO. I have been doing that all my life...lol...does not work...lmao

WonderPug
12-25-2014, 11:28 AM
Garage.

Nonsense.

drudixon
12-25-2014, 11:40 AM
Cool study, albeit limited. I think it supports what Arnold used to say about bodybuilding, how much of the game is in the mind and believing fervently that one is a champion.

Furthermore, supports how when some people overcome certain diseases and others don't. Studies have shown how telling people they've been exposed to certain illnesses, they actually develop real symptoms.

mikemodjeski7
12-25-2014, 01:28 PM
I call BS. Mind/Muscle while working out with weights yes, but just thinking about working out...NO. I have been doing that all my life...lol...does not work...lmao

Maybe you didn't have enough faith, lol

JerryB
12-25-2014, 01:29 PM
To a large degree it's nonsense.
To an experienced athlete mental focus does help.

Squid24
12-25-2014, 01:36 PM
Maybe you didn't have enough faith, lolHummmmm...faith...hummmmm???...lol

JerryB - I know the mind can help with many things, that is why I said mind/muscle, but I am sure you can not become a bodybuilder with just sitting on a couch mind building...lol. srs though, I do know what you mean. It's mental focus that has kept me from being sick for the past 3 1/2 yrs :)

drudixon
12-25-2014, 03:36 PM
Hummmmm...faith...hummmmm???...lol

JerryB - I know the mind can help with many things, that is why I said mind/muscle, but I am sure you can not become a bodybuilder with just sitting on a couch mind building...lol. srs though, I do know what you mean. It's mental focus that has kept me from being sick for the past 3 1/2 yrs :)

The study isn't saying it can.

mikemodjeski7
12-25-2014, 04:08 PM
I'd have to re-read the article, but wondering if maybe the degree of loss was less rather than gains being made. I suspect that is what is seen in the study, which is still pretty impressive.

Just had an interruption in my training, and the losses were significant in just a couple of weeks time.

drudixon
12-25-2014, 06:21 PM
I'd have to re-read the article, but wondering if maybe the degree of loss was less rather than gains being made. I suspect that is what is seen in the study, which is still pretty impressive.

Just had an interruption in my training, and the losses were significant in just a couple of weeks time.

What was your diet during that time?

Any losses I've had due to layoff or diet were immediately recuperate once I surplussed again.

mikemodjeski7
12-25-2014, 06:53 PM
What was your diet during that time?

Any losses I've had due to layoff or diet were immediately recuperate once I surplussed again.

My diet was totally off. My layoff started with a bout of stomach flu, then a death in the family required a trip out of state and resulting odd hours, diet, etc. I think recovery will go pretty fast from what I can see.

61customrebuild
12-25-2014, 07:18 PM
There's probably some scientific merit to it, otherwise somebody gets fired for it being published. The human body is amazing in many ways, this probably just one of them. But this is nothing. Diet and training are the key.

DocHoss
12-26-2014, 08:15 PM
There was a similar study published on the *** a couple of years ago.

brb, thinking of squatting and benching!