PDA

View Full Version : The feels thread

drudixon
12-24-2014, 07:35 PM
Pick a lift, describe the feels you have and the difference those feels make. Feels are individual and tied to a purpose. One of the benefits of lifting for a long time is learning what feels result in what effects.

For example, pullups, feel the lift from the elbows, feel shoulder blades pulling together to start the pull. For me resulted in much more lat activation.

Squats. I recently learned how to get more low quad involvement by starting the descent with my knees going forward. If I want hips and hams, I push my butt backwards. Result being I can finally use squats for my quads more effectively.

What are your feels?

DocHoss
12-24-2014, 09:08 PM
I dunno - feels bad, man :D

Not sure this is really what you had in mind, but I've been experimenting with grip width in my BB rows. After my heavy sets, I do some sets at 135 underhand grip. I find that with a really wide grip I feel it in my lower back (Christmas tree area) while with narrow grip I feel it in my upper back (mid trap area). I alternate sets between wide and narrow grip and really like how the feel differs.

JerryB
12-24-2014, 11:43 PM
That's one of the things about weight training, you can get addicted to the feeling of stimulated muscles.
It's good feedback the muscle is being trained.

SteveWright1
12-25-2014, 03:19 AM
Bench press = I feel pretty laid back about that
Military press = I feel it all goes over my head a bit
Squat = I feel ups and downs with that exercise
Deadlift = I feel something will certainly kill me and it might as well be that

Merry Christmas Dru

drudixon
12-25-2014, 08:15 AM
Good comments. Feels is used a lot in golf. Which muscle used when does what to the swing. Since I've abandoned heavy lifting for my shoulders, I've been paying attention to things like grip, how movements are initiated, etc. It's really helped address some problem areas I have, notably upper chest, lower quad and upper back thickness.

61customrebuild
12-25-2014, 07:09 PM
I use the concept of "power path", which basically means that you are in a total body balance and employing every muscle in your body equally to perform the exercise. You are so much more powerful when all your muscles are working as a total collective for a purpose. Spot training is a mind-trap. Yes, it is all based on feel; every higher level you can get to is just a progression in greater mind/body communication. Yes, it all differs from person to person, so the training aspect becomes a personal journey.