PDA

View Full Version : Coming back from lower back injury - rested for 3 weeks

Palatinate
12-24-2014, 08:34 AM
I have been back training for nearly 3 weeks now and I feel like I have gotten weaker on deadlifts and squats more than my other lifts. On deadlifts my 5RM is still 25kg away from my 5RM best. My squat is stuck at 100kg-102.5kg lol when usually I am squatting at 125kg 3x5.

My lower back just feels a lot weaker than it did before.

Is this normal?

Jayjoe
12-25-2014, 01:50 PM
Do not push your lower back. It may take years for you to get back to normal. I had a back injury and I stopped doing deadlifts for years. Only now about 4 years later I am doing Sumo Deadlifts becuase the legs share the load with the lower back. Also I suggest doing Kettlebell swings, great for hips, glues, and to warm up.

dmacdonal9
12-26-2014, 05:54 AM
A lot of different things can happen to your lower back, anything from a major disc herniation to a small muscle strain. Unless you know what it was, you can't say much about how long it'll take to recover.

Palatinate
12-27-2014, 09:16 AM
Do not push your lower back. It may take years for you to get back to normal. I had a back injury and I stopped doing deadlifts for years. Only now about 4 years later I am doing Sumo Deadlifts becuase the legs share the load with the lower back. Also I suggest doing Kettlebell swings, great for hips, glues, and to warm up.

What would you do for back exercises? I actually injured the lower back by doing BB rows.

Palatinate
12-27-2014, 09:23 AM
I tried squats/deadlifts again today, and could not even lift 2 reps of 90-100kg without lower back stiffness and pain. Otherwise everyday activities and stretching are absolutely fine, but it is like when I try to squat and deadlift, the lower back support is not there anymore. I just have a real lack of strength there now.

One last thing guys... how does this routine look? I plan on working around the injury until I am fully recovered. Plan on adding some chins/pullups and more reps on the 3x3 sets.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/luis7.htm

Tmax55
12-27-2014, 12:50 PM
Make sure you warmup a lot. Do 4-5 sets before your working weight. This has helped my back.