PDA

View Full Version : Can vitamin deficiency lead to bad mood / depression-like state?

NicoLen
12-19-2014, 07:44 AM
Hello all! After a bit of googling i found out that there is some kind of link between those two but could anyone explain it to me with a little bit more detail?

I came up with this question a few days ago when i noticed a massive mood / confidence boost after stuffing myself with fruit and veggies, after a period of a poor, meat and simple grain-related carbs diet i was following for practical reasons. The calories are exactly the same, a few hundred under-maintenance.

Bastiat
12-19-2014, 08:36 AM
vitamins are catalysts in alot of reactions in your body. Look at the list here http://www.emedicinehealth.com/vitamins_their_functions_and_sources-health/article_em.htm you will notice over and over "Part of an enzyme". You body has alot of things to do and a lot of complex chemical reactions that must take place to get these things done. Alot of these reaction do not happen natually, but when the right molecules get attached to the right enzymes, the enzyme forces the reaction to happen. Vitamins are activators for a lot of these enzymes. They get the enzyme to do its job. but, your body cant create these vitamins on its own, it has to get them from outside sources. So if you arent getting the vitamins you need, your body cant keep up with its jobs because the enzymes arent working at capacity. If that happens, the products of these enzymes get out of balance or in low supply and this can cause all sorts of different problems. Since your brain is just a special organ, deficiencies/imbalances can affect your brain too one of the symptoms, then being mood issues.

Im sure a very simplified version has some semantic issues, but thats the basic idea.

As a side note to others who are interested, there are some fats that your body cant produce as well: essential fatty acids. This is one of the reasons that a proper amount of fats are important in your diet and why a very low fat diet is not something that you should shoot for.

NicoLen
12-19-2014, 09:23 AM
Thanks for your answer but im looking for a little bit more detail. For example: Which vitamin/s has/have the most impact on the psychological level, why does it have that kind of impact etc.

Mobraelite
12-19-2014, 09:24 AM
Only low vitamin T leads to depression etc

Get your T up bro

NMS3
12-19-2014, 09:24 AM
I know that banana skin boosts levels of serotonin.

bradstearns
12-19-2014, 09:36 AM
Recent reasearch has linked Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD: the winter-time blues) to vitamin D deficiency. Get some sunshine or supplement with vitamin D3, just to be sure.

On a more general note, lack of vitamins, minerals, phyto-nutrients, and polyphenols can all play a role in mood as can a calorie restructed diet. The mental depression that accompanies a slow down in metabolism is an evolutionaty link that restricts activity in the presence of potential starvation.

Also, the blood sugar roller coaster of a high carb diet can play havoc with your mood.

Always keep your macros appropriately balanced to your activity level. Don't overly restrict calories. Always eat prenty of vegetables and fruits.

Bastiat
12-19-2014, 09:39 AM
Thanks for your answer but im looking for a little bit more detail. For example: Which vitamin/s has/have the most impact on the psychological level, why does it have that kind of impact etc.

ahh ok. I dont know the specifics of individual vitamins but try starting here http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/002399.htm and look at B12 and D. heres one for D http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitamin_D_and_neurology

NicoLen
01-05-2015, 10:12 AM
Sorry for the late reply.

Also, the blood sugar roller coaster of a high carb diet can play havoc with your mood.

Well, this. I've tried getting vitamin supplements, eating as clean as one can eat, monitoring my cals and the ONLY time I felt really good this whole time was during the holidays where I was feasting like a madman.
Back to cutting now and with deficit came along the mood swings.

EdenPrime
01-05-2015, 01:08 PM

Well, this. I've tried getting vitamin supplements, eating as clean as one can eat, monitoring my cals and the ONLY time I felt really good this whole time was during the holidays where I was feasting like a madman.

1. Define eating clean.

2. How many grams of fat are you eating per day? Macros?

sportsguy47
01-05-2015, 01:39 PM

Roughly how many calories have you been eating? One of the reasons you "feasted like a madman" may be because you restricted your calories too much.