PDA

View Full Version : Jalil Okafor the next Tim Duncan?

srom12
12-19-2014, 02:23 AM
Thoughts?

Averaging 17/9/1.5

Lawd have mercy when the Timberwolves/Sixers or possibly the Lakers draft this guy. INB4 title contenders.

Winter52
12-19-2014, 03:02 AM
I can see the duncan comparisons but he looks more like cousins to me

wildchild11
12-19-2014, 07:52 AM
Insanely advanced fundamentals for a freshman. i actually like the comparison

DaHoneyBadger
12-19-2014, 08:14 AM
This comparison has been thrown out too many times. I can see why they do it - offensive polish on the block.

But once you get to the defensive end, the comparison doesn't work. Duncan is a defensive anchor. I haven't been impressed with Okafor on that end so far this season.

12-19-2014, 08:56 AM
He's an insane offensive talent. Watching him feels like a 90s throwback. However I don't think he's as refined as Timmy was even in college.

Great player though, if he shows no signs of durability issues he'll probably go first overall.

lsiberian
12-19-2014, 09:22 AM
He'd need better rebounding and defense to be Tim Duncan.

Crazy that Tim Duncan is still a top 5 PF even at 38.

sknot1454
12-19-2014, 10:05 AM
Yep. 10 games into college and he's comparable to the best power forward in NBA history.

edreese23
12-19-2014, 01:54 PM
Wish the kid plays atleast 2 years of college ball if not more. Has so much potential but really needs to work on his defensive game and has so much time to do that in college, not in the NBA
Why on earth would he do what he's good at for free against lesser competition when he will be paid and improve at a much faster rate playing against the best in the world?

12-19-2014, 01:56 PM
Why on earth would he do what he's good at for free against lesser competition when he will be paid and improve at a much faster rate playing against the best in the world?

That's where I think it becomes tricky. Some guys will gain a lot from playing against NBA competition, but for more high potential draft picks than others, it ruins their confidence.

Seems like a mentally tough guy though, so i don't think he'll have issues with it. I think staying another year would benefit him just because of who he'll have coaching him in college vs. the NBA. With how high he'll be picked his coach will likely be a bum.

wildchild11
12-19-2014, 02:04 PM
Wish the kid plays atleast 2 years of college ball if not more. Has so much potential but really needs to work on his defensive game and has so much time to do that in college, not in the NBA

The goal of improving is to be drafted high

He's already gonna be drafted at #1

You can only go backwards from there. Another year so GMs can convince themselves of your flaws? Nah

knicksbrah
12-19-2014, 02:26 PM
Lawd have mercy when the Timberwolves/Sixers or possibly the Lakers draft this guy. INB4 title contenders.Strong no mention of the Knicks

The Knicks even get doubted for draft lotteries wow

wildchild11
12-19-2014, 02:39 PM
true. i don't know, if i was a college star, i'd want to milk the college years for everything i could playing under a great coach in a great program having 2-3 extra years to work on the fundamentals and everything rather than going straight to the NBA and being a bust.

but then again, i'm not a college star.

Marcus Smart did it wrong, he could have been drafted at #2 by the Magic had he come out after his freshman year.

Instead he came back and his stock tanked. All in the name of "improvement".

Money is there? You go

And besides, you can improve real quick when hoops is your full time job and you dont have to waste time on classes and bs like that

StreetSharks
12-19-2014, 03:49 PM
Yep. 10 games into college and he's comparable to the best power forward in NBA history.

I remember when morrison was supposed to be the next bird

Lol at these comparisons