PDA

View Full Version : I feel like I need a complete change. Anyone going through this?

RedMesomorph
12-17-2014, 08:03 AM
I've been lifting heavy for the majority of my life. Cut to here I'm at now. I'm 35, 285 and I have two bulging disc's in my back, and one is herniated. My back was very messed up before I went to a chiropractor. The chiropractor helped my back very much with aligning it right, but once my back felt good, my hips took over the problem. From what an Orthopedic surgeon tells me is that my IT bands are very tight, and that's based off an MRI. He recommended me get physical therapy for it. That helped some, but made my hips so tired. For about an hour or two the pain in my IT bands were gone. That wasn't what the surgeon wanted to hear, so he had me get a cortisone shot. I ended up getting two for my lower back. It worked for a couple of days, but I feel like it was a waste as I'm back to where I started. I've just come to the conclusion that the orthopedic surgeon was just guessing, and he really doesn't know what's causing it.

I feel like I need a complete change from what I've done my whole life. I really have no flexibility in my hips, and lower back right now. I do basic yoga stretches, and it seems to help, but nothing lasts very long. Is this normal? Am I just destined to live with this kind of pain my entire life? I'm a very active person. I love playing basketball, but with a sharp, shooting pain down my legs from my IT bands, it makes running and pivoting very tough. I feel like I'm carrying around two legs that never warm up. That, in turn, makes my posture horrible, and puts a lot of stress on my lower back that is already bad. I have a family history of bad backs. I'm the one that's the most active, or I use to be.

I love this site. I always come to it, because it's legit. I'm looking for small goals. I was my happiest when I was around 230 pounds, and I thought I looked good. I'm a natural mesomorph. Just a large, athletic build. I could barely fit inside that MRI machine because of my broad shoulders. I would love to continue lifting, but with the doctors telling me that lifting is incredibly bad for your back, and I should stop it all together, should I heed his advice and try other ways of lifting? At my age I'm not worried about getting big. I'm more wanting a life of mobility, working out, and being able to play basketball.

Has anyone been through what I'm going through?

Would yoga help me at all? I've never done it, but just doing basic yoga poses does seem to help my mobility a little.

Any tips from you older guys? I have a 8 week old baby in the house, and I know he's going to be a handful in the coming years. I'd rather not be some guy who use to work out and pain got to him. I'd like to have an active life.

If the doctors can't help me with my hips, do you all think I have weak hips in general and that's why my IT bands are so tight?

Thanks for the help.

Plateauplower
12-17-2014, 08:17 AM
Try a different approach for a while. Maybe lower the weights and focus on time under tension. Droppping some weight will likely help your back, hips and knees as well as I am guessing you are carrying a good bit of fat. As far as the back issues go I would talk to a sports doc.

PersonaNonGrata
12-17-2014, 08:27 AM
I think you've answered your own question, bot in your post and in your own head :)

You've had the eureka moment - sometimes you have to adjust your goals to fit your reality.

ps - stretching takes a long time. You should be holding each stretch for at least a minute (most people dont do it long enough) and you have to do it consistently for months

Casedogg43
12-17-2014, 11:18 AM
I like it that you are ready for your next step. Obviously that next step is unknown at this point.

I always suggest swimming, as it's different, works muscles well, and is easy on the joints, etc.
Stretching would seem to be a very important part of your needs. Easy cardio to help loosen up your legs, and get the blood flowing.

And to strengthen your muscles, I would do a lot of non weight resistance training. Body weight only exercises. Get a trainer that can line you up with a weekly routine, and then do it your self for a few weeks and see how you fee.

Just some of my thoughts, but with your little one running around the house, now's the time! Enjoy! And best of luck!

drudixon
12-17-2014, 07:47 PM
Foam roll those it bands. You'll cry the first few times then problem solved.

mcbourque
12-17-2014, 08:13 PM
Here's is a great mobility routine to get you started:

http://www.defrancostraining.com/ask-joe/44-flexibilitymobility/302-joe-ds-qlimber-11q-flexibility-routine.html

Yoga is good but I find Pilates much better for core strength, posture and stability. Either one, look for a basic routine or good instructor.

RedMesomorph
12-17-2014, 08:57 PM
Foam roll those it bands. You'll cry the first few times then problem solved.

I try to do this, but like you said, there's a lot of crying involved. I know I'm not doing it right, because I can't put all my weight down on my right side. I'll keep doing this.

RedMesomorph
12-17-2014, 09:00 PM
Here's is a great mobility routine to get you started:

Yoga is good but I find Pilates much better for core strength, posture and stability. Either one, look for a basic routine or good instructor.

Thanks for the link. I'll look into Pilates workouts. I cannot do much with yoga before my body gets so tired. I'll work on those stretches your link provided.

angrypenguin54
12-17-2014, 09:04 PM
Walk, walk all the time, ride a bike. Just get your body moving. Get your weight down to around 220 at least.

I think you may be over thinking this with yoga, your body is stressed from carrying too much weight around and I am guessing from a lack of overall activity.

So get active, eat less and enjoy the baby. Get the stroller and hit the road.