PDA

View Full Version : chest and shoulder same day?

familyguy1975
12-13-2014, 12:24 PM
Just a quick question from a noob,

What are your thoughts on having chest and shoulders on the same day? I hit the chest first, then go into shoulder work.

LowDownNShifty
12-13-2014, 12:25 PM
I do a L/P/P split so I hit chest, shoulders, and triceps on push day. Been working great for me.

kimm4
12-13-2014, 01:04 PM
It's not something I would do. When I train 2 bodparts I prefer to use a push and pull movement. It just works better strength wise for me and I tend to have more gas left in the tank.

Personal choice.

tkdnj
12-13-2014, 01:13 PM
I always try to do shoulders after chest. Shoulders seem to be the most vulnerable area for injury (especially in the over 35 crowd), and hitting them after chest ensures they are warmed up

paolo59
12-13-2014, 01:40 PM
I just don't have the steam anymore to hit chest and shoulders in the same workout. LOL Not and really hit them hard. I suppose one could alternate which body part you hit first in the workout, and tailor the second accordingly.

Old-Time-Lifter
12-13-2014, 02:02 PM
Right now I do Chest/Back/Shoulders on the same day. Will do some additional shoulder work on Arm day too.

familyguy1975
12-13-2014, 02:08 PM
Right now I do Chest/Back/Shoulders on the same day. Will do some additional shoulder work on Arm day too.

What do you think of the bradford press?

TonyJH
12-13-2014, 02:09 PM
Yeah it's called a push day.

Old-Time-Lifter
12-13-2014, 02:10 PM

I don't do any pressing over my head. My shoulders cannot handle that anymore too much arthritis.

DuracellBunny
12-13-2014, 03:29 PM

Difficult to get the technique right. With the grip that you take for BTN (tends to be wide grip), people tend to make the in front press a severe incline instead of bringing the elbows round and getting under it. For the majority of people it's better to do the 2 exercises separately.

JimmyJonny
12-13-2014, 03:41 PM
I can't do them on the same day. It would destroy my shoulders and I'm to fatigued after my chest lifts. I do pull work after my presses but not a all out back day though.

But...... I do like rear delt work though. It's light weight and it just feels good after I'm done.

kimm4
12-13-2014, 03:47 PM

Can't speak for anyone else, but I do them on a regular basis.

TLTrooper
12-13-2014, 04:12 PM
You're getting a lot of different answers and that's pretty much expected. I do shoulders and chest on the same day because of the preference to certain exercises and my work schedule. I do do incline bench and do lat raises. For rear delts I include that on back day.

Old-Time-Lifter
12-13-2014, 05:08 PM
I can't do them on the same day. It would destroy my shoulders and I'm to fatigued after my chest lifts. I do pull work after my presses but not a all out back day though.

But...... I do like rear delt work though. It's light weight and it just feels good after I'm done.

I chest/back/shoulders because if I had a separate day for each my shoulders would never have time to recover. Better for me to hammer them all at once and let them rest rather than spreading it out and banging away at them every day.

JerryB
12-13-2014, 06:15 PM
That is the way I train Chest, Shoulders, and finish with triceps.

It's the push day for the Push-Pull approach for upper body training. The traps are included in the day for back or shoulders. Bodybuilders may include traps with back or shoulders. I refer traps to be trained with back. I like the push approach because the shoulders, and triceps which assist in compound exercise for the chest have equal time to recover.

77Davis
12-13-2014, 07:37 PM
Hardly ever do I hit shoulders and chest the same day. It is far too taxing for me, and I will take longer to recover before I can hit any of those muscle groups again; no bueno. I normally split my upper body from chest/back/abs, and arms/shoulders with a day of rest between. However, I will do a very light chest workout on arm/shoulder day just to get them warmed up. And by light, I mean real light. I bring them nowhere near exhaustion. I need the energy.

KeithTheSnake
12-13-2014, 08:04 PM

What are your thoughts on having chest and shoulders on the same day? I hit the chest first, then go into shoulder work.

I thought you were complaining about how your chest was too big. I wouldn't prioritize chest if my chest was too big.

By the way, thanks for the reds. You might note I sent some your way, as well, in response. Nobody's stalking you. You're not that important. I just happened to read your two separate threads in the same day about your beginner chest questions. Many people who are prioritizing a bodypart put that bodypart first in their routine. That's why I said what I said. If you don't want to hear an answer, don't ask the question, moron.

I've never neg'd anybody before. Felt good.

Fishman15
12-13-2014, 09:40 PM
It's not something I would do. When I train 2 bodparts I prefer to use a push and pull movement. It just works better strength wise for me and I tend to have more gas left in the tank.

Personal choice.

I am the same way as kimm4 here. I like to do a chest/bicep day, back/tricep day, and a shoulder/leg day and put a cardio day or day off in between them. I do fairly long workouts 2 hours and find that trying to do that many sets hitting the same body parts like chest/shoulders or back/biceps ends up being too much and causes injury or just too much work and i run out of steam. As I have it set up now, I can do 2 hours and walk away not overdoing any body part. Trying to do chest and shoulders on the same day is a recipe for injury in my opinion. YMMV...

RT1957
12-13-2014, 11:08 PM
Chest work = shoulder work...back work = shoulder work.....

You can't do any upper body compound movement without it hitting your shoulders.

mofitness4u
12-14-2014, 09:10 AM
Yes. Shoulders/Chest/Triceps appetizers-shoulders (warmup) next meats-chest, next desserts- triceps . Swell-full period.

familyguy1975
12-14-2014, 11:12 AM
Chest work = shoulder work...back work = shoulder work.....

You can't do any upper body compound movement without it hitting your shoulders.

Maybe that's why my shoulders are bothering me. I hit chest tris day one back bis day two no days off in between. Shoulders getting hit back to back

RT1957
12-14-2014, 11:23 AM
Maybe that's why my shoulders are bothering me. I hit chest tris day one back bis day two no days off in between. Shoulders getting hit back to back

Most don't see the stress their shoulders take while benching or rowing/pulling. If you really need to split your upper body then yes put a day in between

maybe chest/legs/ back day off repeat

I just do a upper lower split and I alternate pushes and pulls on upper body day......I do bench then rows or OHP then chins.......but my goals are probably different than yours....

kimm4
12-14-2014, 11:23 AM
I am the same way as kimm4 here. I like to do a chest/bicep day, back/tricep day, and a shoulder/leg day and put a cardio day or day off in between them. I do fairly long workouts 2 hours and find that trying to do that many sets hitting the same body parts like chest/shoulders or back/biceps ends up being too much and causes injury or just too much work and i run out of steam. As I have it set up now, I can do 2 hours and walk away not overdoing any body part. Trying to do chest and shoulders on the same day is a recipe for injury in my opinion. YMMV...

My workouts are similar, but not 2 hours long. :)

shoulders/traps
back/tris
rest
chest/bis
legs

Sometimes I'll throw in a 5th day of a quick full body or some random upper body work.

JerryB
12-14-2014, 12:11 PM

I have done it over 15 years with no injuries.

Chest and back on the same day meant working two large muscle groups in the same work out.
The effort in training the second large muscle group was neither as intense as in training the first large muscle group.
Just my way of training.
You have to find what works for you.

familyguy1975
12-14-2014, 12:33 PM
My workouts are similar, but not 2 hours long. :)

shoulders/traps
back/tris
rest
chest/bis
legs

Sometimes I'll throw in a 5th day of a quick full body or some random upper body work.

I like this split, mainly by how far apart your shoulder and chest days are. Makes sense. I'm hitting chest shoulder and tris day one and the next day when i hit back bis i have major shoulder static.
This should fix it thanks

familyguy1975
12-14-2014, 12:37 PM
Difficult to get the technique right. With the grip that you take for BTN (tends to be wide grip), people tend to make the in front press a severe incline instead of bringing the elbows round and getting under it. For the majority of people it's better to do the 2 exercises separately.

Thanks, I'll try that. The bradford i feel is killing my shoulders. I will try this thanks. Repped

TLTrooper
12-15-2014, 08:26 AM

Yep. Do shoulders intensely enough prior to back day and you'll feel the shoulders being worked if you were to do DL's or bb rows.

Casedogg43
12-15-2014, 09:08 AM
So many different avenues to take when splitting, doubling up etc.

Personally, that doesn't work for me. I need to separate to really go intense and get the full push out of my specific muscles worked, then rest them and feed them.

I do however throw in a touch up set on my cardio day of shoulders, back, etc, when/if I feel the energy and feel as though my muscles will respond to that.

A lot of it comes down to trial and error on what works for you. I believe Trying a new routine is always a good idea when thought out thoroughly, as you can adjust if needed.
Good luck

aev1944
12-15-2014, 02:16 PM
The front delts are used during chest workouts. To put size on the delts, they should be hit on another day and not near chest day. Do heavy incline presses and then do delt work. You'll be weak. If you're just trying to consolidate for time, I'd do arms and delts (shoulders) on the same day.

thelojones
12-15-2014, 02:59 PM
My split. I started in April just 3 days a week so each body part once a week. The last 3 months have been the below setup, each body part twice a week, adjusted occasionally for more or less recovery time.

- chest, triceps, heavy - shoulders light
- back, biceps, deadlift
- legs, light
- off or abs, calves
- chest, tricep, light - shoulders heavy
- back, biceps
- legs, heavy

melDorado
12-15-2014, 04:36 PM
I chest/back/shoulders because if I had a separate day for each my shoulders would never have time to recover. Better for me to hammer them all at once and let them rest rather than spreading it out and banging away at them every day.
This as I also have dodgy shoulders. I also include back as I do upper lower split. Means I can get legs on twice a week and i do love leg day

Flipperman2a2w
12-16-2014, 04:27 PM

Every now and then, I will start a shoulder workout with incline chest press- I feel like that's a nice warm-up for the shoulders, and it seems to pre-exhaust my anterior delts (maybe that's just mental, though...)

angrypenguin54
12-16-2014, 04:39 PM
Try some different routines and find what works best for you. I prefer full body workouts or push/pull splits with rest days between any upper body work specifically to give shoulders a rest. Your shoulder is a complex joint and both push and pull exercises put stresses on your shoulder.

Halfway
12-16-2014, 11:02 PM
All push on one day for me. I rarely do any kind of ohp and if I do it's as a superset after laterals and performed superslow

Works just as well as a shoulder day but with better recovery

tkdnj
12-19-2014, 03:44 PM
That is the way I train Chest, Shoulders, and finish with triceps.

It's the push day for the Push-Pull approach for upper body training. The traps are included in the day for back or shoulders. Bodybuilders may include traps with back or shoulders. I refer traps to be trained with back. I like the push approach because the shoulders, and triceps which assist in compound exercise for the chest have equal time to recover.

Jerry - In your push / pull / legs routine, how often do you hit each? For example: every 6 days? (push / off / pull / off / legs / off / REPEAT). Also how many sets for each muscle group?
Thanks!

61customrebuild
12-21-2014, 09:38 AM

You can work everything in the same day, I do, but I am not over-working anything to the breakdown point. The industry has a lot of folks thinking the muscle must be pushed to the point of fiber damage, which to me is a bit insane. If you do it that way, you have to be careful about working those muscles when they are in the recovery phase, which necessitates rest days. Pushing damaged fibers will only cause more damage, maybe a lot more. Instead, when you feel that pain associated with fiber damage, don't push, just mostly stretch and swing and shake those muscles to facilitate fluid transfer that is necessary for recovery.

jdoyle7
12-21-2014, 10:23 AM
I was doing chest/shoulder & back/biceps workouts but recently switched to chest and rows for one workout and overhead presses and pull ups for another. Not sure which is better yet but I can lift heavier weight doing my current workout. Switching gives the muscle a chance to rest. It also cut down the time I spend in the gym. I do 1 minute rests between sets most of the time.