PDA

View Full Version : Quad Cramping- OUCH!!!

Flipperman2a2w
12-08-2014, 10:20 AM
So, I wrecked my legs at the gym yesterday afternoon.... I was going really heavy on squats with fairly high volume, and then I did a nasty pyramid on the leg press...

Later on, I was in bed reading, and my right quad cramped (the tear drop above my knee). The pain was excruciating, and it just wouldn't stop. I looked down, and the muscle was just locked on. I thought it had torn off the bone for a second. It probably took about 5 minutes before I could sit up and try to swing my leg over the edge of the bed. I was eventually able to slowly bend it at the knee.

My calves have cramped before, and my biceps (oddly enough) will cramp every now and then. This was a first, though... I guess I really need to start stretching after workouts...

JerryB
12-08-2014, 01:41 PM
That happen to me doing squats after a bodybuilding contest. I was dehydrated. So my right leg vastus lateralis and vastus medialis cramped up hard while watching TV. The left leg decided to join in and cramped up too. They would have looked great on stage for flexing the quads. The pain was horrible. I made it into the bathtub with warm water and the quads stopped cramping.

kconnell
12-08-2014, 06:13 PM
Stretching after, not before is good and WILL help. Make sure that you are properly hydrated as mentioned by Jerry. Also, if you have had an abundance of sodium (salt), then your electrolytes may be off.

Anytime you contract the antagonist muscle, it helps to relax the one cramping. That said, I frequently get cramps in the hamstrings. I wouldn't want you to get those.