PDA

View Full Version : Old injury has returned

cmt029
12-07-2014, 12:42 PM
About two years ago while doing a Smith Machine squat (I know they suck but it was always impossible to get on the real squat rack - I'd often have to wait 45 minutes or more) a muscle in my lower back (left side) strained hardcore making it painful to even walk for about three weeks or so, and I had a constant heating pad on my lower back. Since then I've only done pullups/pushups/dips/etc as a workout.

Last week I decided to join the gym again and set off on a 5x5 to get my strength up. Wouldn't you know on my third day of being back in the gym while doing squats this morning that exact same area flared up again. While not as intense as the first time it now is painful to get up and sit down. Talk about being derailed early. I was only squatting 115 too.

Oh well I am going to set up a dr. appointment this week to see if it's something more than a simple muscle strain. I'm crossing my fingers that it's not a herniated disc or something like that.

ocmatt
12-07-2014, 02:10 PM
it is probably nothing to worry about
stretch more next time

Casedogg43
12-08-2014, 08:35 AM
Avoid squats on Smith Machine. Your body has no way to adjust if it needs to. NOT a good idea for Squats especially.

I agree stretch stretch stretch. Stay away from squats for a while and use other machines, DB, or even the wall to build back up before going to squat again. Patience

CropDusterMan
12-08-2014, 08:45 AM
An old injury returning in a +35er huh?

It's typical, and I believe that as we grow older, we carry these injuries forward with us...I think they'll
always be a part of us, sure they recover, but it'll always be a slight weakness to be mindful of.

I agree with the above advice...smith squats are very limiting in their scope of self-adjustability during
a dynamic movement such as squats. I'd never do them again. Also, not bad idea to see a chiropractor...
a real one (old school), not one of these flowery new-age douche's who put drops on your head and say
you are now "balanced".

I'd opt more for hacks or leg press if you can't get in the rack...and I don't care what anyone says about
stretching these days-I always do it following a light cardio-type warm-up to complete a warm-up and both
add to flexibility and prevent injury....one last thing is to be sure you are working on ankle and hip flexibility
for squats...a prime reason for injury is poor flexibility in these areas.

cmt029
12-08-2014, 03:27 PM
Thanks guys! I am guessing that I am probably not flexible enough at this time to seriously work on squatting. TBH the muscle pull that I got from the smith machine never fully went away - I could always feel it to some degree. I probably need to spend a week or so on mobility before jumping back in the squat rack. I probably lifted too much and stretched too little last time leading up to this injury. I re-injured it this time doing real squats.

I will definitely focus on hip and ankle mobility.

Thankfully my back is feeling a bit better today- I just hope I can get back to the state where I don't have to worry about throwing it out again. Definitely something I don't want to mess with. Total bummer when it happened because I got really focused on training and diet last training cycle and got to new highs on just about all of my lifts.

The Smith Machine was definitely a mistake! I have switched gyms and this one isn't completely crawling with people every evening so a free squat rack shouldn't be as much of an issue as before.

kconnell
12-08-2014, 06:18 PM
Doctor would be good.

Using heat on an injury is the opposite of what you should be doing. You have swelling and ice is the best medicine. 15 minutes on/off, repeat.

After a few days, heat will help the muscle.

pvsampson
12-09-2014, 04:57 PM
it is probably nothing to worry about

Nah,a recurring,debilitating pain is of no consequence.

Brackneyc
12-09-2014, 05:11 PM
Nah,a recurring,debilitating pain is of no consequence.

I was going to tell him to rub some dirt on it. I am guessing this would be bad advice? Fcking internet police.

JOHN GARGANI
12-09-2014, 07:48 PM
"Only" 115 pounds, eh?...how many times do you walk around and do normal things with an extra hundred pounds on your shoulders???

never underestimate ANY weight....you already had the injury, "laid" off, sort of, doing bodyweight exercises, and then when you jumped back in, your back was NOT ready for that amount of weight....you should have taken it much slower, given it more time .......

we get that all the time on here, also, with guys coming back from shoulder injuries and bench pressing: " I was only using the warm up weight of 135 and my shoulder went again": so , obviously, 135 wasn't considered a "warm-up" weight by your body......

people are in such a hurry and why? to get back to the plateau they were on anyway???

cmt029
12-23-2014, 08:34 AM
"Only" 115 pounds, eh?...how many times do you walk around and do normal things with an extra hundred pounds on your shoulders???

never underestimate ANY weight....you already had the injury, "laid" off, sort of, doing bodyweight exercises, and then when you jumped back in, your back was NOT ready for that amount of weight....you should have taken it much slower, given it more time .......

we get that all the time on here, also, with guys coming back from shoulder injuries and bench pressing: " I was only using the warm up weight of 135 and my shoulder went again": so , obviously, 135 wasn't considered a "warm-up" weight by your body......

people are in such a hurry and why? to get back to the plateau they were on anyway???

Thanks John...

It was my 4th session back squatting and I always warm up with just the bar. Thankfully with a foam roller and good stretching I've managed to put the injury at bay again. I'm just going to be a lot more conscious about foam rolling and stretching. My downfall is that I usually only do it seriously when something is actually hurting. I'm feeling great now but I've been working around squatting for the time being.

Also I was doing a three day a week 5x5 where they want you to squat every time in the gym (which was probably way too much) but I've decided to scrap that plan and go back to targeting muscle groups on particular days.

jdoyle7
12-23-2014, 08:55 AM
If it's really low like one side of the tail bone, it might be the SI joint. It's happened to me many times. The tail bone rotates and puts stress on the joint. Last time was a couple months ago while dead lifting. My problem is tight hip flexors and weak glutes & hamstrings. I've been working hard at correcting that and have had a lot less pain so far.

GymJupiter
12-23-2014, 12:42 PM
You probably need to take the time to strengthen your lower back and learn good squatting form. Also good warm ups equal good workouts. :-)