PDA

View Full Version : I am a big guy and I am starting to lift again...just have some questions

rchewie
12-03-2014, 02:03 PM
Hey Everyone, My first post here.

I am a big guy 6 foot 6 and was 305 2 months ago but I am down to 283. I did not look overweight but my eating habits were horrendous and I would like to look and feel better. So i started on this journey with setting a goal of a 5k which I am running this weekend. I also started lifting two weeks ago. I have always had pretty good strength (what I call brute strength) when it comes to weight lifting it never seemed as much. I was a college football player but a knee injury got in my way and I never went back. First time going back to the gym in 8 years besides basketball.

So I am lifting and it is truly demoralizing how weak my upper body is. My knee healed nicely and I know I can get that back up as I am already leg pressing 500 in sets again (used to be over 1000). My upper body is depressingly weak and it is tough to see people half my size lifting more. I know a lot of this is in my head and I shouldnt give a crap, but it is touch. I am doing over the head dumbbell press for an example and I do one set of 25, 1 set of 30, and I cant make it through a 3rd set of 30. What am I doing wrong? Is it just that I havent used those muscles? You would think carrying around all this weight I would be stronger but it doesnt seem to be the case.

I am trying to lose weight while gaining muscle which I know is the hardest thing to do, but I have never been so determined. After my 5k I will be running less and focusing more on weights. Any advice? Does my current process seem alright? Any information would be appreciated. I dont look that out of shape which is the part that is depressing me the most. I look at myself and think I should be able to lift that and I just cant. I look forward to hearing from you guys, thanks so much. I have my goals and I will reach that goal, I dont want to leave this earth early because of the way I was living.

AFC96
12-03-2014, 03:56 PM
Eat at maintenance or at a slight surplus if you want to recomp.

Follow a proven program such as SL,SS, ICF5x5 or fierce5.

gmstaley
12-05-2014, 06:27 AM
Your not doing anything wrong on your dumbell press. Working out/lifting is just like anything else in life, the more you do it the easier it gets.