PDA

View Full Version : More fat less carbs?

DirtyMax911
12-01-2014, 09:21 AM
I know normally in a bulk you run .45g per lbm of fat with rest your protein then leftover carbs. Is there any limit on fat though, I have heard of people eating more than 100g fat makes them bloat or whatever, just wondered if I could technically eat more fat and then eat less carbs as a result, while still meeting my macros.

jolanar1
12-01-2014, 09:26 AM
I know normally in a bulk you run .45g per lbm of fat with rest your protein then leftover carbs. Is there any limit on fat though, I have heard of people eating more than 100g fat makes them bloat or whatever, just wondered if I could technically eat more fat and then eat less carbs as a result, while still meeting my macros.

There is no limit on fat (within your calorie goals). After you hit your minimums, it's purely preference for fat vs carbs vs protein. Many people find diets in higher fat more satiating but it's up to you.

LadyBug29
12-01-2014, 09:42 AM
just meet protein/fat minimums. However keep in mind that dietary fat is more readily stored as bodyfat than carbs or protein

modernsuperman
12-01-2014, 09:56 AM
I eat high protein/fat and low carb. I've been eating between 2500 and 3500 cals depending on my schedule. I never take in over 200g of cho and I usually don't go over 100g. My fat intake is anywhere between 150 and 200g a day. Protein is usually close to 300g, sometimes more sometimes less. I'm pretty damn lean, probably 10 or 11 percent bodyfat.

WonderPug
12-01-2014, 10:21 AM
I eat high protein/fat and low carb. I've been eating between 2500 and 3500 cals depending on my schedule. I never take in over 200g of cho and I usually don't go over 100g. My fat intake is anywhere between 150 and 200g a day. Protein is usually close to 300g, sometimes more sometimes less. I'm pretty damn lean, probably 10 or 11 percent bodyfat.FYI: You're actually on a very high carb, very high fat diet because >50% of your protein intake is converted to glucose, but I guess if you don't care about your health and really love your diet, then so be it.

klausk
12-01-2014, 10:54 AM
I prefer eating lower carb higher fat because the fat gets rid of all hunger pangs. Carbs are awesome but dat hunger after an hour is horrible. You also look leaner on lower carbs I guess since you hold less water weight.

boo99
12-01-2014, 10:59 AM
Find out what combo works the best for you after minimums are reached.

jp973156
12-01-2014, 11:07 AM
just meet protein/fat minimums. However keep in mind that dietary fat is more readily stored as bodyfat than carbs or protein

Is the consensus on these boards that the above is true? I've heard people argue against this claiming that carbs are more likely to trigger fat storage (e.g., carbs/protein -> insulin spike -> triggers lipogenesis; also de novo lipogenesis, although the latter has been argued against quite extensively).

To OP: I eat about 150 g/fat a day. I found it easier to cut on high fat/low carb (less hunger, primarily, but also more weight loss, which arguably could have been non-fat mass). I also prefer fatty foods over higher-carb foods, so there's that too. I would maintain a calorie deficit, hit protein macros at least at 2 g/kg, and then adjust fat/carb intake accordingly so that you can eat the foods you prefer.

keramon02
12-01-2014, 11:23 AM
FYI: You're actually on a very high carb, very high fat diet because >50% of your protein intake is converted to glucose, but I guess if you don't care about your health and really love your diet, then so be it.

What about such a diet is unhealthy?

boo99
12-01-2014, 11:53 AM
Is the consensus on these boards that the above is true? I've heard people argue against this claiming that carbs are more likely to trigger fat storage (e.g., carbs/protein -> insulin spike -> triggers lipogenesis; also de novo lipogenesis, although the latter has been argued against quite extensively).

To OP: I eat about 150 g/fat a day. I found it easier to cut on high fat/low carb (less hunger, primarily, but also more weight loss, which arguably could have been non-fat mass). I also prefer fatty foods over higher-carb foods, so there's that too. I would maintain a calorie deficit, hit protein macros at least at 2 g/kg, and then adjust fat/carb intake accordingly so that you can eat the foods you prefer.

Yes fat can be more easily stored as adipose tissue however, the size of the surplus is more a factor at the rate of fat gains in a bulk.

WonderPug
12-01-2014, 12:19 PM
What about such a diet is unhealthy?A diet that is very high is both dietary fat and, effectively, very high in CHO (due to extreme protein intake), combined with extremely high intake of protein is a recipe for metabolic dysregulation.

Basically, the OP has taken the S.A.D. and made it even worse.