PDA

View Full Version : Keep me accountable, my journey from 267 to 175 then back to 190. Warning!!! TLDR

jbrmotivated27
11-28-2014, 11:16 AM
Hi just a little history about myself. I was born into a family of overweight people and learned bad eating habits from an early age. Our meal were actually on the healthy side, it was more the butter and other things used to prepare them and the large portion sizes that really made it unhealthy. Then the snacks and other sweets were a huge problem. Enough with that, just wanted a bit of history to show how I've fallen so far off path and my failures to control my weight.

I was always a little overweight but never noticeable obese or anything. By 8th grade I was 5'9 170, playing basketball and baseball kept me from getting out of control by I was still clearly 20 plus pounds over an ideal weight at that age. Fast forward to 17 and I found myself weighing 244 at 6' and my weight was taking its toll on my self esteem and my athletic abilities. By this time I was only playing baseball and up to this point was very successful and one of the top players. I decided I was going to trim down during my senior year of high school so I started on first of three crash diets I've put my body through.

I began drinking slim fasts for breakfast and lunch. Stopped drinking anything but water and bought cell tech and protein powder. This was 2003 and at the peak of the muscle tech creating and everything else. I'd usually eat a sensible dinner of chicken or steak and a plate full of veggies, 2 protein shakes a day as well. 4 months in and I was down to 200lbs. I had workouts daily for baseball conditioning and also weightlifting class in school which was and hour 20 minutes a day. I started taking NO2 along with my protein and creatine. I cut back to a shake only for breakfast and two meals of meat and veggies basically a terribly low calorie low card diet. March came along and baseball season started and I was a fairly thin skinny fat 171. I had lifted hard but lost the weight too quickly and with a shirt on looked fine, with it off a different story. My lifts in class had gone up substantially though, bench from 175 to start to 265, squat 225 to 315, clean 145 to 215, and dead lift from 315 to 495. So I was stronger but not anywhere near where I wanted to be.

By the time I started college that august I was 177 and looking closer to what I wanted. I worked out a ton definitely overtraining. By the end of my first semester I was in the best shape of my life and about 188 lbs. then I started drinking too much late night fast food binges and so on until by the 5th semester of my college studies I was up to my biggest ever 280. I just realized one day wow what have I let myself become, and right back on the crash diet I went. No slim fast this time but a lot of protein shakes chicken breasts tuna and veggies. Not a bad diet really but I took it way too extreme and cut calories to under 1000. In three months I lost 84 lbs. I was doing two hours of cardio a day both elliptical and treadmill. Only lifting 45 minutes 3 days a week focusing on all the wrong ways to do it to achieve my goals. Once I was at 190 I was once again skinny fat though with more muscle than before still a far cry from when I was 188 previously. I became relaxed went back to my old habits and of course ballooned back to 252.

Once again I had done this to myself and I was almost to the point of giving up. I hit the gym again did it much slower this time and over 2 years was at 215. A muscular but definitely still 20% bf 215. I then met my now wife and we began dating. And of course I became comfortable and over the past three years slowly worked out less and ate more and ended up back where I am today. 6'1 265.8 as of this morning and mad at myself again. This time I want to do it right, I don't want to crash diet I want to make a true lifestyle change. Not just for me but for my wife and my future children if I have some. I want to be active in shape and healthy. I have the knowledge to do this I just need the accountability to stick with it not fall of the wagon and people to motivate me along the way. Sorry for the long post but without this post I know I will fail, I have will power but only until I get good results then I lose it. I will not fail this time, I will conquer this demon once and for all.

I will update my body space and this thread weekly with my training my macros and anything else going on with my journey. My goals are to do a tough mudder before 2016, a power lifting competition by 2017 and to cut to 175, then bulk to 190 or even beyond depending on my physique when I get there. Sorry this post is so long I'm just tired of failing time and time again. I won't fail I will succeed any positive feedback or advice is greatly appreciated.

Cliffs
Was fat lost weight 3 separate times now fat again.
Constant yo yo dieter never a lifestyle change
Set goals of tough mudder and power lifting competition as well as weight goals that may change depending on body physique because to me the number doesn't matter as much as the mirror does.
Advice appreciated!

jbrmotivated27
11-28-2014, 11:35 AM
What do you recommend I cut at calorie wise. i work as a pharmaceutical sales rep and I'll be doing 4 days a week lifting about an hour to hour and a half, as well as HIIT 3 times a week. Mix in a little tennis and bike riding in 3 days a week. I was thinking of starting at 2500 a day and further assess from their after I see how it goes.

BRIAN10197
11-28-2014, 06:52 PM
I was overweight the majority of my life due to my family aswell since I was young. When I was put on thyroid medication it made me go from 200s to borderline 300 and I put my foot down finally.

I reccomend finding your tdee and subtract -500 and follow that number with a food scale and input it in a calorie tracking app like myfitnesspal.
http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/

I personally just used heavy weight lifting on top of diet to go from 295-210 never touched cardio. And all my compound lifts doubled and my body looked more structured. So I reccomend doing heavy weightlifting. Lookup a good plan on the bodybuilding forums *Find a plan section* and you should be set mate. Goodluck.

jbrmotivated27
11-29-2014, 07:42 AM
I was overweight the majority of my life due to my family aswell since I was young. When I was put on thyroid medication it made me go from 200s to borderline 300 and I put my foot down finally.

I reccomend finding your tdee and subtract -500 and follow that number with a food scale and input it in a calorie tracking app like myfitnesspal.

I personally just used heavy weight lifting on top of diet to go from 295-210 never touched cardio. And all my compound lifts doubled and my body looked more structured. So I reccomend doing heavy weightlifting. Lookup a good plan on the bodybuilding forums *Find a plan section* and you should be set mate. Goodluck.

Yea I've done that, my tdee is 3190. That was why I was going to try 2500 to start and see how that goes. I usually lift heavy, been out of gym for a while so may start on a 5x5 for the first 6 weeks or so not entirely sure yet. It's sad because when I went to college it was for exercise science, and I continue to let myself get this way. Old habits die hard I guess.

CTime
11-29-2014, 08:14 AM
Subbed. Sounds similar to me. I started at 267 exactly as well so looking forward to your progress!