PDA

View Full Version : How to handle bilateral muscle weakness?

MichaelRS
11-24-2014, 12:51 PM
I find my left triceps is far weaker and than my right when doing one arm over head extensions.

If I get to the point where I fail at 10 reps with, say, 20# with my left, I find that my right can got for 5, or more, reps.
I have the same problem with the opposite biceps.

The way I figure it, I have three options. Which do you think is best?:

Soo, do I let my weak arm be my guide and at stop the reps on the right when it reaches the point the left failed, even if I could do more?

OR, do I do more reps with the same weight until my right fails?

OR, do I lift a heavier weight with my right so that it fails around the same reps as my left?

v4lu3s
11-24-2014, 12:52 PM
if you are wanting symmetry then option 1 is the way to go.

NorwichGrad
11-24-2014, 01:00 PM
$heeet, brahs.. I need a long break. I gotta stop hangin' out here and do more productive stuff in the real world.

I HONESTLY read the thread title as:

"How to handle LIBERAL muscle weakness?"

Please don't take offense to my aging eyesight / brain malfunction, OP.

Edit -

If I'm gonna respond to threads, might as well add something useful. Where are my manners. Sorry about that.

OP - IMO, including UNILATERAL training in your training regimen is a great way to bring up your bilateral weaknesses.

For example, if you feel that when you squat, you have a tendency to lean to the right a bit, there could be many reasons for this imbalance.. You could add unilateral exercises like DB step ups, Bulgarian split squats, etc..

As a general rule, unilateral exercises (in theory) will transfer over to bilateral movements, but not the other way around.

Hope this helps.

kconnell
11-24-2014, 07:07 PM
Don't stop with your stronger arm. Just do some additional work for your weaker side. Start at 1-2 sets.

PersonaNonGrata
11-25-2014, 06:19 AM
Assuming you're right handed, it's erm, normal.

You can correct it to an extent, but you'll never balance it out completely.

Warning: trying too hard may result in horrible elbow injuries of various kinds, followed by shoulder injuries, or vice versa

DuracellBunny
11-25-2014, 07:45 AM
I would train them both the same. If you use both arms at the same time and are anal about technique, they will eventually even out as much as they are going to.

DownhillGR
11-26-2014, 12:29 AM
you can either stop reps when your weak limb fails and wait till your weak limb catch up or you can continue lifting as you did but add another session in the week just for your weak arm. adding more volume should even things up