PDA

View Full Version : Canada brahs..how popular is the CFL?

smashedpotato
11-20-2014, 06:56 AM
I know hockey trumps everything in Canada, but does the cfl have a huge following, is there 24/7 coverage and discussion about it like there is for the nfl in the states?

samir316
11-20-2014, 07:12 AM
Niche following at best, though popular in some of the smaller cities simply due to being no alternative. But for any team with other sports franchises, CFL is "also ran" type deal.

Most Canadians watch NFL more than CFL. I honestly try to watch CFL sometimes and the low caliber of the play just turns me off. Guys being overthrown by 20 yards. WRs dropping softballs that hit them in the numbers. Also, that whole slotback can get a running start thing is just too stupid.

Heaney
11-20-2014, 07:15 AM
Niche following at best, though popular in some of the smaller cities simply due to being no alternative. But for any team with other sports franchises, CFL is "also ran" type deal.

Most Canadians watch NFL more than CFL. I honestly try to watch CFL sometimes and the low caliber of the play just turns me off. Guys being overthrown by 20 yards. WRs dropping softballs that hit them in the numbers. Also, that whole slotback can get a running start thing is just too stupid.

I dont think many people actually care about it outside of Edmonton, Calgary, Saskatchewan and Montreal.

Mac_xX
11-20-2014, 07:16 AM
Not a huge following but the people that consistently watch it, love it. It's especially popular in places like Winnipeg and Saskatoon where there aren't many alternatives.

That being said, the Grey Cup (aka the CFL Super Bowl) is consistently one of the most watched television events on Canadian TV every year.

Miked1978
11-20-2014, 07:17 AM
Sounds like its the arena football of Canada.

BillBillson
11-20-2014, 07:26 AM
I have lived most of my life in Toronto and I've never heard anyone ever talk about the Argonauts.

LiftLaughLust
11-20-2014, 07:27 AM
I have lived most of my life in Toronto and I've never heard anyone ever talk about the Argonauts.
Only when they're playing in and/or hosting the Grey Cup

BillBillson
11-20-2014, 07:30 AM
Only when they're playing in and/or hosting the Grey Cup

pretty much and that's only because the massive amounts of fans from the prairies that cause a lot traffic and not because anyone cares if they win or lose.

Mac_xX
11-20-2014, 07:31 AM
Sounds like its the arena football of Canada.

Probably a little more popular than that. Not a ton though.

Wyzz
11-20-2014, 08:16 AM
What kills it for me is how big the field is.

Looks like a bunch of kids out there playing football lol

Cfl sucks a lot

smashedpotato
11-20-2014, 08:33 AM
Espn was airing the playoffs last week (dont remember the teams) but it was on sunday afternoon so i dident watch. Always was curious if it was big in canada tho. I guess it depends on where you live.

Mac_xX
11-20-2014, 08:34 AM
What kills it for me is how big the field is.

Looks like a bunch of kids out there playing football lol

Cfl sucks a lot

I think it would be fun to see the NFL play a game on a Canadian sized field. Game would be even more offensive than it already is. Goodell would cream his pants.

InfiniteRage
11-20-2014, 08:48 AM
in toronto you will only hear about it like a week before the grey cup, and only if we are playing someone.

im pretty sure the AHL team we got gets more followers here...

Fritter14
11-20-2014, 09:15 AM
A few years ago, I went to Calgary to watch the Flames play the Oilers in hockey. What surprised me, is that there was more interest in the city for the Stampeders playing the Roughriders the next day.
I think there is way more interest in the west than in Ontario.

shorkey
11-20-2014, 09:18 AM
A few years ago, I went to Calgary to watch the Flames play the Oilers in hockey. What surprised me, is that there was more interest in the city for the Stampeders playing the Roughriders the next day.
I think there is way more interest in the west than in Ontario.

Seems to be the case. Even in montreal the alouettes are only popular when they win. They folded years ago when they started losing. Fans will desert the als when they start losing alot. The Alouettes and pretty much all CFL East teams only get like 20-24000 fans per game. Seems attendance and attention is higher out West.

thebeagle
11-20-2014, 09:19 AM
No nfl by far is more popular for obvious reasons. Cfl is garb I don't understand why they don't adopt nfl field and rules. Farm team. Get rid of import or canadian # of player rule (I think there is) get some more college guys. Be actually dec

denny2008
11-20-2014, 09:24 AM
Probably as popular if not maybe less so than MLS is in major US cities. It's there and can be slightly exciting, but no one besides the hicks in the Prairies actually really cares about it

shorkey
11-20-2014, 09:26 AM
No nfl by far is more popular for obvious reasons. Cfl is garb I don't understand why they don't adopt nfl field and rules. Farm team. Get rid of import or canadian # of player rule (I think there is) get some more college guys. Be actually dec

Yup I agree. I hate the Canadian rules. I would watch it more if they used American rules. Also yes they have an import rule. I think something like 10 starters have to be Canadian or something like that. So you've got low calibre Canadian University playrs getting roster spots just because of a rule.

But anytime you suggest switching to american rules and getting rid of the import rule to actual CFL fans they get offended.

mojo85
11-20-2014, 09:28 AM
Niche fans. Zero interest in the east coast but cities like Regina shut down when the riders place since theirs zero alternative for sports there. I've never watched a CFL game, it's a terrible on field product. No name recognition, players suck and like others have said why watch the D league when the NFL is on at the same time. It's just really bad football

RogerSterling
11-20-2014, 09:30 AM
just like the MLS. A few cities have a loyal following, but nobody else really cares. I think the Chicago Fire are good (or have been in the past?) and the only time I've ever heard them mentioned was once or twice when some hipsters were going to a game ironically.

shorkey
11-20-2014, 09:32 AM
Too bad the WFL of the 70's didn't work out with their original plan that called for teams in Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver.

spillmouse
11-20-2014, 09:39 AM
I use to watch a lot of it when I was younger , but NFL will always trump CFL here as well. Being from Vancouver it's only 3 hours to Seattle , 20% of Seahawks season ticket holders are from the Vancouver area.

#12north

Mac_xX
11-20-2014, 06:29 PM
just like the MLS. A few cities have a loyal following, but nobody else really cares. I think the Chicago Fire are good (or have been in the past?) and the only time I've ever heard them mentioned was once or twice when some hipsters were going to a game ironically.

Even though the MLS team in Toronto is absolute garbage, they're still way more popular than the Argos (Toronto CFL team). Can't speak for Montreal or Vancouver MLS franchises.

travellingbrah
11-20-2014, 06:48 PM

No they're not good. Their biggest problem is that they play nowhere near the city...

Ivan36
11-20-2014, 07:06 PM
Went to a Lions game a couple weeks ago (got free tickets, lol at paying to watch CFL) and it was mostly older people. None of my friends or myself follow CFL, almost all watch NFL though.

freshnevafrozen
11-20-2014, 07:11 PM
I watched it a few years back. All I remember about it is a ton of long punt/kickoff returns. I don't think anyone really gives a fuk about it now

Iron121
11-20-2014, 07:21 PM
The fuk is a CFL?

Upshall18
11-20-2014, 07:24 PM
Went to a Lions game a couple weeks ago (got free tickets, lol at paying to watch CFL) and it was mostly older people. None of my friends or myself follow CFL, almost all watch NFL though.

Would not go unless got free tickets to a box. Brb eating and drinking and not watching the game

CFL is poverty as fuk

konohagakure
11-20-2014, 07:24 PM
Huge in saskatchewan. Rest of Canada doesn't really care.

nvrstopworking
11-20-2014, 07:28 PM
CFL's dying.... not enough of a connection with the younger fans. The prairies are definitely keeping it alive though.

Back in the day you had some pretty talented players like Doug Flutie and Warren Moon who actually went to the NFL and made some noise... but these days? Can't think of the last player to do that TBH.

Phobaphobia
11-20-2014, 07:37 PM
I will watch it if it's on and there is no NFL or other sport that catches my interest. I played Canadian high school ball and I think that's why I can appreciate the rules more than most. Not a big fan though

Phobaphobia
11-20-2014, 07:39 PM
CFL's dying.... not enough of a connection with the younger fans. The prairies are definitely keeping it alive though.

Back in the day you had some pretty talented players like Doug Flutie and Warren Moon who actually went to the NFL and made some noise... but these days? Can't think of the last player to do that TBH.Cameron Wake is the only one that comes to mind. Some other average NFL players like Jerrell Freeman, Marcus Thigpen

adultswimm
11-20-2014, 07:41 PM
Cameron Wake is the only one that comes to mind. Some other average NFL players like Jerrell Freeman, Marcus Thigpen

Brandon Browner

LadyGagaBrah
11-20-2014, 07:43 PM
Didn't Kramer once turn down Super Bowl tickets because he was only interested in the CFL

Ectomorph531
11-20-2014, 08:01 PM
They push it on you and it's frustrating as hell when you can't watch NFL games because all that's on are CFL games.

Plus cell phones, internet, and satellite/digital cable are all more expensive in Canada.

A very small percentage of people here watch it, and almost none of them would rather watch CFL over NFL.

adultswimm
11-20-2014, 08:06 PM
They push it on you and it's frustrating as hell when you can't watch NFL games because all that's on are CFL games.

Plus cell phones, internet, and satellite/digital cable are all more expensive in Canada.

A very small percentage of people here watch it, and almost none of them would rather watch CFL over NFL.pretty much the same way us black brahs feel about HBCU football lol

GuineaDago585
11-20-2014, 08:10 PM

Really? My first day in Toronto this old guy and his friend were making small talk with me on the subway and he said something along the lines of "yeah Bob's a good guy, but he's an Argos fan. Hahaha."

I bertstarted him and said "what the fk is that?"

evansanity
11-20-2014, 08:15 PM
better off just having NFL teams. Canadian football is worse than Gaelic football.

samir316
11-21-2014, 07:32 AM
I dont think many people actually care about it outside of Edmonton, Calgary, Saskatchewan and Montreal.

I live in Montreal and I can tell you most of the city doesn't even know where the Als play. There is a hardcore following of about 20k people, the rest of it are casuals.

PS - Punts on 3rd down.