PDA

View Full Version : Why do most people with the best physiques on the planet eat so often ?

Ripper908
11-06-2014, 12:30 PM
I know the majority of people on here say meal timing is irrelevant

but

Seems like 95% of fitness models, pro bodybuilders, actors getting super ripped for specific roles with amazing coaches eat minimum 6 times day and stress how important it is to eat often

And I understand in the case of pro bodybuilders it's because they consume alot of cals and it would be hard to eat so much in only 2 - 3 meals but even in their cutting diets they still eat every 2 hours. And yes I know most of them are on gear but still they have nothing to gain about lying about meal frequency. Even someone like Rich Piana stresses 8 plus meals a day

Is it all coincidence they all look great and eat often? Not like food companies are paying them to say they eat all the time and endorse our food lol

Just curious.

Felipon
11-06-2014, 12:35 PM
Don't quote me on this, but I think their are indeed certain benefits to eating so often. It's just not as relevant as it was thought out to be, and won't really make that much of a difference.

Again, dont quote me on this.

Heres a study by lyle mcdonald:
http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/research-review/meal-frequency-and-energy-balance-research-review.html/

desslok
11-06-2014, 12:38 PM
Basically when you need to eat a LOT of calories (especially not natty), then it is WAY easier to break up all that food into multiple meals. Simple as that.

As for people cutting. You can cut weight DESPITE doing a lot of things. Don't confuse "despite" with "because".

SuffolkPunch
11-06-2014, 12:41 PM
- Preference - especially so as not to feel overfull from large meals - which is a problem for people with very high energy needs
- Drug use - this can require frequent feedings
- Because they've been told to... Athletes are a very superstitious bunch, they keep doing something if they think it's working. They are only one person which means they aren't able or aren't willing to try other meal patterns and objectively appraise the results.

desslok
11-06-2014, 12:48 PM
-
- Because they've been told to... Athletes are a very superstitious bunch, they keep doing something if they think it's working. They are only one person which means they aren't able or aren't willing to try other meal patterns and objectively appraise the results.

To add to this in regards to OP. OP is inferring famous people or people in the public eye. Basically all famous people pay some "trainer". Trainers which may be just ignorant, uneducated. Or they purposely add complexity just to give themselves an appearance that the trainer is needed to get results.

InItForFitness
11-06-2014, 12:53 PM
Basically when you need to eat a LOT of calories (especially not natty), then it is WAY easier to break up all that food into multiple meals. Simple as that.

As for people cutting. You can cut weight DESPITE doing a lot of things. Don't confuse "despite" with "because".

- Preference - especially so as not to feel overfull from large meals - which is a problem for people with very high energy needs
- Drug use - this can require frequent feedings

To add to this in regards to OP. OP is inferring famous people or people in the public eye. Basically all famous people pay some "trainer". Trainers which may be just ignorant, uneducated. Or they purposely add complexity just to give themselves an appearance that the trainer is needed to get results.

All of this ^^^

Especially considering that I'd venture 95% of the physiques you're referring to are enhanced via drug usage...which is a totally different story than natural training...sure the basics still apply, but it's a bit different of a world.

Slow-N-Steady
11-06-2014, 12:55 PM
Because they've been told to... Athletes are a very superstitious bunch, they keep doing something if they think it's working. They are only one person which means they aren't able or aren't willing to try other meal patterns and objectively appraise the results.

This last point is very true as well... tons of atheletes and celebrities do as they are told from coaches/nutritionists that have misguided principles and still see results and then attribute that success to what they were coached/told.

A recent example is Lebron dropping 20lbs by removing most carbs from his diet, and then touting that as the *way* he lost "so much" weight. He could have lost the same, in the same amount of time, with a balanced diet.

Jasonk282
11-06-2014, 01:10 PM
You try eating 6000 cals or more in 3 meals...

InItForFitness
11-06-2014, 01:15 PM
You try eating 6000 cals or more in 3 meals...

Fuark that.
Sitting around a 4,000 average/day right now and I'm still running about 5 meals just to stop from having to stuff myself every meal.

Jasonk282
11-06-2014, 01:17 PM
Fuark that.
Sitting around a 4,000 average/day right now and I'm still running about 5 meals just to stop from having to stuff myself every meal.

I hear that. When I eat a big meal that bloat is horrible and not something that I like to have.

InItForFitness
11-06-2014, 01:18 PM
I hear that. When I eat a big meal that bloat is horrible and not something that I like to have.

Things are a bit different this time around for me.

First bulk, I could pack in 1,000-1,200 per meal and not blink.
Now, I get around 800 or so (of course depends on nutrient structure/food choice) and I'm ready to tap.

Jasonk282
11-06-2014, 01:24 PM
Things are a bit different this time around for me.

First bulk, I could pack in 1,000-1,200 per meal and not blink.
Now, I get around 800 or so (of course depends on nutrient structure/food choice) and I'm ready to tap.

I'm the same way. I was literally stuffing my face all the time. Now I'm just eating balanced meals all day long. Plus being up on the iron, I'm an ironworker( guys who build the skyscrapers) for 10 hours a day with 2 breaks it's better not to be bloated and unable to move when you're 100' or more in the air on a 6'' wide beam.

alex070707
11-06-2014, 01:32 PM
Fuark that.

Feels...
Also keep in mind a few pros I know eat up to 6000 cals WHEN DIETING. Another trend I see among pro coaches is that they make them eat often to reduce stomach protrusion.

ChaoticReignPbt
11-06-2014, 01:45 PM
Fuark that.
Sitting around a 4,000 average/day right now and I'm still running about 5 meals just to stop from having to stuff myself every meal.Will know this feel soon. Transitioning into the first serious bulk I've done in a couple years. I'm usually constantly hungry but I'm sure that will start shifting quick.

Jasonk282
11-06-2014, 01:54 PM
Feels...
Also keep in mind a few pros I know eat up to 6000 cals WHEN DIETING. Another trend I see among pro coaches is that they make them eat often to reduce stomach protrusion.

Stomach vacuums...

MillerTime07
11-06-2014, 01:56 PM
A lot of it is just general broscience. They believe that is the only way it should be done. Most people don't research nutrition and bodybuilding like we do. They talk to people at the gym or watch a few youtube videos.

Jasonk282
11-06-2014, 02:04 PM
A lot of it is just general broscience. They believe that is the only way it should be done. Most people don't research nutrition and bodybuilding like we do. They talk to people at the gym or watch a few youtube videos.

So...if you're TDEE was say 5000 cals, you could eat that in 3 meals?

MillerTime07
11-06-2014, 02:06 PM
So...if you're TDEE was say 5000 cals, you could eat that in 3 meals?

No, perhaps I shoud've worded it better. If your TDEE is that high, then yes that many meals are needed. I was more speaking about the beginner/early intermediate lifters that believe they need 8-10 meals.

Slow-N-Steady
11-06-2014, 03:02 PM
Really do truly feel for the people that have to eat 4-5,000+ cals a day lol

GetSwole79
11-06-2014, 03:07 PM

I eat 4000 per day on average.

I can tell you that its much easier eating every 2 hours. It would be next to impossible to eat 4000 calories per day if I could only eat 3 meals. I would want to throw up. So there is your answer. The more you space out your meals, the better you will feel. Its just how it is. You can make yourself feel really sick if you try to eat 4 or 5000 calories per day and only allowing yourself 3 meals to do it.

For example today I lifted in the morning along with some cardio, and when I go to bed I will have consumed 4500 calories.

Jasonk282
11-06-2014, 04:25 PM
No, perhaps I shoud've worded it better. If your TDEE is that high, then yes that many meals are needed. I was more speaking about the beginner/early intermediate lifters that believe they need 8-10 meals.

If you read the OP, you'd see that OP was talking about people with great physiques...not noobs/intermediates.

tjwoody
11-06-2014, 04:27 PM

not me im jealous. i LOVE eating. i just ate an easy 2k in calories in past 15 mins. love halloween left overs!

Jasonk282
11-06-2014, 04:44 PM
not me im jealous. i LOVE eating. i just ate an easy 2k in calories in past 15 mins. love halloween left overs!

2000 cals of chocolate...awesome!