PDA

View Full Version : The Hindu Triumvirate Proved (special thanks to GOO)

Ehsaun
11-06-2014, 12:07 PM
Made this post because I'm bored and miscing while waiting for my next class and a comment by thegreatoldone gave me an idea.

The Trimūrti is a concept in Hinduism "in which the cosmic functions of creation, maintenance, and destruction are personified by the forms of Brahma the creator, Vishnu the maintainer or preserver and Shiva the destroyer or transformer."[1][2] These three gods have been called "the Hindu triad"[3] or the "Great Trinity." They are different forms of the One person called the Supreme Being or Svayam Bhagavan/Lord Krishna/Parabrahman.

I. Brahma argument courtesy of KCA

1 Everything that has a beginning of its existence, has a cause (creator) of its existence.
2 The universe has a creation of its existence (Big Bang)
3 Therefore, the universe has a creator(Brahma)

II. Shiva argument courtesy of GOO

1 Everything that has an ending of its existence, has a cause (destroyer) of its existence.
2 The universe has an ending of its existence (heat death)
3 Therefore, the universe has a destroyer (Shiva)

III. Vishnu argument (my own but I've read an article by feser a while ago defending the principle of divine conservation. So this argument shouldn't be controversial among the classical theist camp)

1. Everything that presently exists, has a sustaining cause (maintainer) of its existence.
2. The universe presently exists.
3. Therefore the universe has a maintainer(Vishnu)

1. If arguments 1-3 are valid, the Hindu triumvirate exists.
2. Arguments 1-3 are valid.
3. Conclusion, the Hindu triumvirate exists

GreatOldOne
11-06-2014, 12:11 PM
I have thought the same thing regarding the combination of KCA with the destroyer/Shiva part.

It is somewhat disheartening to consider the purpose of creation to be it's destruction. I normally personify this configuration as 'Evil God'/cosmic meat grinder.

Oh well. It's not the most preferable God, but at least it's honest about doing everything.

IbnKutub
11-06-2014, 12:12 PM
Made this post because I'm bored and miscing while waiting for my next class and a comment by thegreatoldone gave me an idea.

I. Brahma argument courtesy of KCA

1 Everything that has a beginning of its existence, has a cause (creator) of its existence.
2 The universe has a creation of its existence (Big Bang)
3 Therefore, the universe has a creator(Brahma)

II. Shiva argument courtesy of GOO
1 Everything that has an ending of its existence, has a cause (destroyer) of its existence.
2 The universe has an ending of its existence (heat death)
3 Therefore, the universe has a destroyer (The Dark Lord)

III. Vishnu argument (my own but I've read an article by feser a while ago defending the principle of divine conservation. So this argument shouldn't be controversial among the classical theist camp)

1. Everything that presently exists, has a sustaining cause (maintainer) of its existence.
2. The universe presently exists.
3. Therefore the universe has a maintainer(Vishnu)

1. If arguments 1-3 are valid, the Hindu triumvirate exists.
2. Arguments 1-3 are valid.
3. Conclusion, the Hindu triumvirate exists

http://images.yuku.com.s3.amazonaws.com/image/gif/89916354ddf9ed8383c256155066d8bec92dad3a_r.gif

@ your logic that lead to your conclusion, not @ hindu beliefs

SeymourCake
11-06-2014, 12:16 PM
http://images.yuku.com.s3.amazonaws.com/image/gif/89916354ddf9ed8383c256155066d8bec92dad3a_r.gif

RBGMlQF-YJ8

Bullroarer
11-06-2014, 12:16 PM
I have thought the same thing regarding the combination of KCA with the destroyer/Shiva part.

It is somewhat disheartening to consider the purpose of creation to be it's destruction. I normally personify that as 'Evil God'.

Oh well.

Sounds like He's good, evil and various points in between simultaneously and in cycles.

Ehsaun
11-06-2014, 12:18 PM

Rustled?

SeymourCake
11-06-2014, 12:19 PM
Sounds like He's good, evil and various points in between simultaneously and in cycles.

God is omnipotent. If it has the power to create; It also has the power to destroy what it created. It's not a matter of good or evil, but rather a perspective of polarities.

Tekkendo
11-06-2014, 12:20 PM
Superstition

SeymourCake
11-06-2014, 12:21 PM
Superstition

^pretending to be an independent, third party, libertarian crew^

IbnKutub
11-06-2014, 12:21 PM
Rustled?

http://i.imgur.com/gdinyLo.jpg

GreatOldOne
11-06-2014, 12:23 PM

That's charitable.

Ehsaun
11-06-2014, 12:26 PM
Superstition

The concept of God in Hinduism is actually compatible with classical theism.

http://edwardfeser.blogspot.com/2014/05/pre-christian-apologetics.html

Also I recommend reading The Experience of God by David Bentley Hart

GreatOldOne
11-06-2014, 12:29 PM
Superstition

It's quite a bit more logical than WLC's myopic 'puppy dog and rainbow' version of KCA -> Jesus transition.

Bullroarer
11-06-2014, 12:30 PM
That's charitable.

Or maybe destruction isn't inherently evil. See: any blasť Wall Street banker on creative destruction for further details.

Ehsaun
11-06-2014, 12:35 PM
It's quite a bit more logical than WLC's myopic 'puppy dog and rainbow' version of KCA -> Jesus transition.

Good point. Even WLC admits that the KCA doesn't prove God's goodness. He has to rely on the resurrection of jesus argument for that.

BurroLoco
11-06-2014, 01:04 PM
So what theory does "The Big Crunch" go with, srs?

The Big Crunch is one of the few ways the universe could possibly end.

Ehsaun
11-06-2014, 01:40 PM
So what theory does "The Big Crunch" go with, srs?

The Big Crunch is one of the few ways the universe could possibly end.

That theory isn't really supported anymore

Ehsaun
11-06-2014, 04:31 PM
Bump

GreatOldOne
11-06-2014, 04:36 PM
Or maybe destruction isn't inherently evil. See: any blasť Wall Street banker on creative destruction for further details.

Destruction is one thing. Inevitable suffering to be followed by destruction is something else.

SeymourCake
11-07-2014, 04:08 AM
Destruction is one thing. Inevitable suffering to be followed by destruction is something else.

Suffering can be avoided through cycles.