PDA

View Full Version : Heisman Question

ctownballer04
10-25-2014, 11:18 PM
I've only been watching college football for 1.5 seasons now, and I'm curious how the Heisman generally works.

So I realize it's voted on, but does it primarily just go to the best player on the highest ranked team?

Was just looking at the 2014 Heisman Watch and insanely confused how Prescott is #1 and Goatiota is #2. There numbers aren't even close, but Prescott does have the #1 seeded team over all at the moment.

Prescott
YDS TD INT CMP% QBR
1478 14 4 61.5 83.5

Mariota
YDS TD INT CMP% QBR
2283 24 1 68.8 88.7

Is that just how it works or something? Has anyone from a not top team won a Heisman?

ctownballer04
10-26-2014, 12:10 AM
please respond

turkey_server
10-26-2014, 12:42 AM
Yes, the Heisman lately has basically evolved from "the best player in college football" to "the best player on one of the best teams in college football".

ctownballer04
10-26-2014, 12:50 AM
Yes, the Heisman lately has basically evolved from "the best player in college football" to "the best player on one of the best teams in college football".

Was that different throughout history? This is a new thing?

Hail2DaSkins
10-26-2014, 01:37 AM
the players on the big teams get the way more TV exposure which gets them more attention. Voters also take into account the level of competition they face throughout the season. Playing well against tough teams is more favorable than a guy playing lesser teams even if they put up bigger numbers

DylanPozWorkout
10-26-2014, 01:39 AM
it all depends on which chicken has sharper talons, but nothing will defend against the black phallus - i hope this helps

BellusAdonis
10-26-2014, 03:16 AM
They're actually about the same stats-wise if you factor in rushing and such

Kevlar14
10-26-2014, 03:42 AM
They're actually about the same stats-wise if you factor in rushing and such

Yeah, this.

Prescott has 600 rushing/8 TDs.

Additionally, the PAC-12 defenses aren't as competitive as the SEC defenses. Yeah, you can score in the SEC, too, but there is a bit of a gap in the D.

Finally, the Heisman is a fukcing joke nowadays.

Edit: I realize Mariota has quite a few rushing TDs as well. I also forgot to mention that "Heisman campaigns" are stoopid. And "Heisman watches" are fabricated for ratings by the media and/or the school of the player. Brb Johnny Football Heisman Billboards.

But who was Ameer Abdullah? 1300 yds rushing/17 Tds so far.

It's a quarterback circle-jerk in the modern era.

jtaylor2010
10-26-2014, 04:41 AM
- Oregon has played 8 games while Mississippi State has played 7 so of course Mariota has more yards(yes one game wouldn't allow Prescott to catch up but that's where some of the difference comes from)

- Prescott has over twice as many rushing yards and has twice as many rushing TDs

- Mississippi State has beaten better teams than Oregon has and is still undefeated

- Prescott is surrounded by less talent and does more with it

Prescott > Mariota right now

Dysfunqtional
10-26-2014, 05:00 AM
Heisman has turned to shyt lately, IMO if Melvin Gordon and Amari Cooper keep their seasons going the way they are they should be 1-2 but everyone sucks QBs cocks