PDA

View Full Version : Serious CFB discussion (SEC Bias) (calling out tin foil hats)

neighborr
10-23-2014, 07:30 PM
http://www.si.com/college-football/2014/10/21/ap-poll-no-sec-bias-data-evidence

The AP looked at how ranked teams rise and fall in the poll after winning and losing conference games this season and compared it to the same data from the last five seasons.

The goal was to see if SEC teams are gaining more and being punished less than when teams from the other Power 5 conferences -- the ACC, Big 12, Big Ten and Pac-12 -- play conference games.

The data found that from 2009-2013, the SEC placed lowest out of the Power 5 conferences in average rise after winning a conference game, and in 2014 (through Oct. 18) the SEC placed second, with the Big 12 in first.

When it came to average fall in poll spots after a conference loss, the SEC had the second-lowest average drop after a conference loss from 2009-2013 and tied for the highest average drop with the Pac-12 in 2014.

b-b-b-but ESPN r-r-r-rigs p-p-polls right? $EC bias right? it had nothing to do with the 7 straight national championships right?

inb4 irate retards

stay mad tin foil brahs

Miked1978
10-23-2014, 07:43 PM
So does this mean I should be rooting for the conference my team is in? Wonder if each team will send me a hat or something.

Lol at conference fans.

neighborr
10-23-2014, 07:44 PM
Lol at conference fans.

not a conference fan. dont give a fuk about anyone in the SEC.

but LMAO @ conference haters. jealous neckbeards.

Bulldognation99
10-23-2014, 07:46 PM
http://www.lostlettermen.com/files/images/uploads/article/The_Notebook_ESPN_SEC.jpg

DeshaunWatson
10-23-2014, 07:48 PM
http://www.lostlettermen.com/files/images/uploads/article/The_Notebook_ESPN_SEC.jpg

this.

Sorry LSU brah :)

but...#BeatOlemiss

neighborr
10-23-2014, 07:50 PM

Amazing argument. Flawless logic. I can no longer compete with your superior intellect. I give up.

tdnick
10-23-2014, 07:53 PM
So does this mean I should be rooting for the conference my team is in? Wonder if each team will send me a hat or something.

Lol at conference fans.

Lol at hating a whole conference

jalundah
10-23-2014, 08:04 PM
Wanting teams you beat to win so your team looks better = conference fan... Lmao

You're an idiot if you don't think Oregon fans are gonna be cheering their nuts off for UCLA to win out so they have two relevant wins at seasons end. Same with TCU and Baylor.

tsbalr120
10-23-2014, 08:16 PM
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=164467981

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/rankings/coaches

Would like the retards to explain these polls also. Is the $EC bias so strong that all coaches are idiots and that vegas would rather lose money to push the bias?

uarejelly
10-23-2014, 08:41 PM
same reason people get jealous of successful people. the sec is currently the best and people always want to hate whoever is on top .

neighborr
10-23-2014, 09:29 PM
Inb4 mafiafolife

TheThrill1
10-23-2014, 10:10 PM

Would like the retards to explain these polls also. Is the $EC bias so strong that all coaches are idiots and that vegas would rather lose money to push the bias?

We gonna act like the coaches give a fuk about the rankings outside of their team and maybe those in their conference? You think Bob Stoops is watching SEC or Pac12 games late on Saturday and Sunday for his ballot or do you think he's concentrating on the next team he plays?

fly4navy117
10-23-2014, 10:42 PM
If you're wanting to find bias, look at the huge money making teams vs mediocre ones. Those are the ones people report on, read about, watch, ECT. ESPN would LOVE to jack up OSU vs Mich, USC vs ND or Texas vs OU as much as the SEC teams, but it's hard to when they're not as strong.

scousemanne
10-24-2014, 05:50 AM
Re-run the stats for last year and this year only and you will come out with different results I guarantee it

$ec bias exists, your conference isnt special deal with it

PervedOut
10-24-2014, 05:54 AM
Dat Big Ten speed

http://i.imgur.com/pw7mWRi.gif

not srs, dont care about conference perception

woody19
10-24-2014, 06:12 AM
"the SEC placed lowest out of the Power 5 conferences in average rise after winning a conference game"

When half of your conference starts each year in the top 10-15 its kinda hard to move up a bunch of spots....

neighborr
10-24-2014, 10:24 AM
Re-run the stats for last year and this year only and you will come out with different results I guarantee it

$ec bias exists, your conference isnt special deal with it

Did you even attempt to read the 2 paragraphs posted? Or was that too hard for your little brain?

It clearly says in 2014 the SEC has been experiencing the 2nd highest rise after a conference win and is tied with the PAC 12 for the largest drop after a conference loss.

neighborr
10-24-2014, 11:44 AM
"the SEC placed lowest out of the Power 5 conferences in average rise after winning a conference game"

When half of your conference starts each year in the top 10-15 its kinda hard to move up a bunch of spots....

is that the logic we're using now?

scousemanne
10-24-2014, 11:55 AM
Did you even attempt to read the 2 paragraphs posted? Or was that too hard for your little brain?

It clearly says in 2014 the SEC has been experiencing the 2nd highest rise after a conference win and is tied with the PAC 12 for the largest drop after a conference loss.

Nonsense until this "study" is peer reviewed I am not convinced. There are specific examples that are obvious. The most egregious that comes to mind is Texas a&m beating South Carolina and jumping to top10. There are numerous other examples I could think of off the top of the dome, nevermind if i actually looked it up. This "study" disproves nothing. All Lsu is trash and are still ranked. lol "quality losses"

neighborr
10-24-2014, 11:58 AM
Nonsense until this "study" is peer reviewed I am not convinced. There are specific examples that are obvious. The most egregious that comes to mind is Texas a&m beating South Carolina and jumping to top10. There are numerous other examples I could think of off the top of the dome, nevermind if i actually looked it up. This "study" disproves nothing. All Lsu is trash and are still ranked. lol "quality losses"

please inform me who should be ranked instead of LSU. this should be good.

scousemanne
10-24-2014, 11:59 AM

Srs? Vegas sets odds on what will get bets to make money, perception plays a role and has nothing to do with how good a team actually is.

scousemanne
10-24-2014, 12:01 PM
please inform me who should be ranked instead of LSU. this should be good.

Duke, Minnesota

PervedOut
10-24-2014, 12:07 PM
Duke, Minnesota
part of me wants to add Wisconsin but its too "troll-y"

neighborr
10-24-2014, 03:50 PM
Duke, Minnesota

part of me wants to add Wisconsin but its too "troll-y"

http://i58.tinypic.com/34yzgo0.jpg

Shortstop36
10-24-2014, 03:59 PM
The SEC is easily favored.

If not how would undefeated FSU drop a spot after not losing in almost 2 years.

Tears
10-24-2014, 04:07 PM

Do you even watch cfb?

scousemanne
10-24-2014, 05:26 PM

This, and michigan state/Oregon should absolutely be ranked ahead of Alabama/auburn

ColdSteelToFace
10-24-2014, 05:33 PM
This, and michigan state/Oregon should absolutely be ranked ahead of Alabama/auburn

neighborr
10-24-2014, 09:14 PM

Probably cause they've looked like complete chit in most games.

But you don't watch CFB so I don't expect you to know anyway

Calhexas
10-24-2014, 09:18 PM

Because the team ahead of them has been more impressive

That's how

jtaylor2010
10-25-2014, 06:25 AM
1.) say the SEC is overrated

2.) say 'insert other power 5 conference here' is better this season

3.) watch the SEC dominate OOC games and top 25 rankings

4.) say there is a bias and that the SEC teams are overrated

5.) watch the SEC have the best bowl record again

6.) say they won because the SEC teams were ranked higher so they obviously got favorable matchups

7.) wait 8 months

8.) start at step 1

9.) lather,rinse, repeat until desired results are reached

Calhexas
10-25-2014, 06:58 AM
1.) say the SEC is overrated

2.) say 'insert other power 5 conference here' is better this season

3.) watch the SEC dominate OOC games and top 25 rankings

4.) say there is a bias and that the SEC teams are overrated

5.) watch the SEC have the best bowl record again

6.) say they won because the SEC teams were ranked higher so they obviously got favorable matchups

7.) wait 8 months

8.) start at step 1

9.) lather,rinse, repeat until desired results are reached

Easily the biggest crock of sh!t in the whole process. With the exception of the championship game, for obvious reasons, the SEC team is usually matched up with a team that is 1-3 spots higher in it's conference standings.

scousemanne
10-25-2014, 07:00 AM
Easily the biggest crock of sh!t in the whole process. With the exception of the championship game, for obvious reasons, the SEC team is usually matched up with a team that is 1-3 spots higher in it's conference standings.

Brb half of games are against the ****10
Brb claim bowl victory superiority

tdnick
10-25-2014, 07:06 AM

scousemanne
10-25-2014, 07:10 AM

I'd rather live in Ebola invested west Africa then Jackson, Mississippi srs. My mom is American and I studied abroad in UsA in Uni so zuck ma dink

jtaylor2010
10-25-2014, 07:11 AM

brb- won 10 straight Cotton Bowls

brb- almost always win the Chik Fil A Bowl

brb- the PAC 12 plays a lot of MWC and WAC teams in bowls and still has a losing bowl record over the last 5 years

scousemanne
10-25-2014, 07:14 AM
brb- won 10 straight Cotton Bowls

brb- almost always win the Chik Fil A Bowl

brb- the PAC 12 plays a lot of MWC and WAC teams in bowls and still has a losing bowl record over the last 5 years

Has South Carolina ever even been to a bcs bowl? I can't think of one

Brb my school is always overrated because of coaches past success
Brb dickride conference even though my school has done nothing to help with success.

jtaylor2010
10-25-2014, 07:16 AM
Has South Carolina ever even been to a bcs bowl? I can't think of one

Brb my school is always overrated because of coaches past success
Brb dickride conference even though my school has done nothing to help with success.

3+ years since we lost an OOC game...so yes I can talk sh!t.

But I do like how you never mention which team you pull for....

scousemanne
10-25-2014, 07:28 AM
3+ years since we lost an OOC game...so yes I can talk sh!t.

But I do like how you never mention which team you pull for....

Yea I'm sure you guys go wild for those OOC games against Furman and Southern Alabama

Tears
10-25-2014, 07:42 AM
I'd rather live in Ebola invested west Africa then Jackson, Mississippi srs. My mom is American and I studied abroad in UsA in Uni so zuck ma dink

lol at poor troll typing

scousemanne
10-25-2014, 07:50 AM
lol at poor troll typing

Ohio state, Kansas state, and TCU should be ranked ahead of Georgia srs. lost to poverty south Carolina brb ranked ahead of superior one loss teams. I have other examples of obvious $ec bias if we want to continue

http://ebengregory.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/diddy_drink.gif

jalundah
10-25-2014, 08:22 AM
Scousemanne quickly becoming the biggest phaggot on the board

So butthurt

Tears
10-25-2014, 08:22 AM
Ohio state, Kansas state, and TCU should be ranked ahead of Georgia srs. lost to poverty south Carolina brb ranked ahead of superior one loss teams. I have other examples of obvious $ec bias if we want to continue

http://ebengregory.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/diddy_drink.gif

If you knew anything about cfb, you'd know that losing early will always be better than losing late, and is always reflected in the polls.

Not to mention, you're talking about 4 teams mixed inside 5 spots.

scousemanne
10-25-2014, 08:26 AM
If you knew anything about cfb, you'd know that losing early will always be better than losing late, and is always reflected in the polls.

Then why is Alabama ranked ahead of Michigan state? In b4 quality losses

Checkmate bitch

jtaylor2010
10-25-2014, 08:27 AM

In his defense he grew up in a country where all they show is soccer...and his 3 years at Pensacola Community College probably didn't leave him with much knowledge about the GOAT sport.

Tears
10-25-2014, 08:30 AM
Then why is Alabama ranked ahead of Michigan state?

Checkmate bitch

Because everyone assumes Alabama is a better team than Michigan State. That's just a fact about the general opinion.

And don't try and play off an exception as if it were anything else.

scousemanne
10-25-2014, 08:32 AM
Because everyone assumes Alabama is a better team than Michigan State. That's just a fact about the general opinion.

And don't try and play off an exception as if it were anything else but.

You bolded the word "always" I gave you an example where you were wrong that favored the $ec, but I'm a troll ok den

jtaylor2010
10-25-2014, 08:32 AM
Then why is Alabama ranked ahead of Michigan state?

Checkmate bitch

Ole Miss > Oregon

WV > Nebraska

A&M > Indiana

Arkansas > Purdue

UF > Eastern Michigan

Tears
10-25-2014, 08:35 AM
You bolded the word "always" I gave you an example where you were wrong that favored the $ec, but I'm a troll ok den

http://31.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mbzxt23X8c1r3zat8.jpg

scousemanne
10-25-2014, 08:42 AM
Ole Miss > Oregon
Oh look quality loss argument
WV > Nebraska
The polls disagree as do I, Nebraska is the better team here clearly
A&M > Indiana
Irrelevant, both teams are trash
Arkansas > Purdue
Same as above
UF > Eastern Michigan
Same as above

See above, main one where you are way off is Nebraska >>>WVU.

Nebraska is ranked higher as well which can be relied upon since neither team is in $ec

Tears
10-25-2014, 08:50 AM
See above, main one where you are way off is Nebraska >>>WVU.

Nebraska is ranked higher as well which can be relied upon since neither team is in $ec

lol @ at relying on a team that hasn't beaten one ranked opponent yet.

Calhexas
10-25-2014, 10:17 AM
In his defense he grew up in a country where all they show is soccer...and his 3 years at Pensacola STATE College probably didn't leave him with much knowledge about the GOAT sport.

Fixed

Though it was a junior college when I took my dual enrollment classes there in high school

Also, y'all are wasting your time. The kid is either trollin hard or knows so little about college football it's painful. My favorite is how he rules out "quality loss" like it has no legitimacy whatsoever lol

woody19
10-25-2014, 10:51 AM
Did y'all catch game day defending their bias? They were way too defensive about it, just like all the baseball steroid players.

On a srs note (no troll). When the sec has mid to late season games against crap teams do you like it? It seems like it would be like a mid season scrimmage where you can work on things, but it also seems like you are risking an injury in a meaningless game. I hope playing Colorado served as a game where we figured things out.

Tears
10-25-2014, 12:49 PM
Did y'all catch game day defending their bias? They were way too defensive about it, just like all the baseball steroid players.

On a srs note (no troll). When the sec has mid to late season games against crap teams do you like it? It seems like it would be like a mid season scrimmage where you can work on things, but it also seems like you are risking an injury in a meaningless game. I hope playing Colorado served as a game where we figured things out.

You play the same amount of games regardless. They'll have basically the same chance of getting hurt whether the opponent is weak or not, and if it's a blowout they can rest anyway.

Auburn usually schedules either a cupcake or a bye in between Alabama and Georgia, which I like. To answer your question, I don't mind it.

p.s. they were defensive about it because they're tired of reading and hearing the b.s. that people spout about bias just because they are nothing more than mad themselves.

XFactah416
10-25-2014, 01:10 PM
The SEC is the best conference and has amazing teams.

The problem is that because of this fact, a rank circlejerk has emerged this season and it's actually all due to two games: Mississippi State beating LSU and A&M beating South Carolina in week 1. Mississippi State was by far the greatest benefit of this which is how they're #1 (although Mississippi State is a very good team in their own right)

A&M beating an overrated South Carolina team, who was ranked 9, vaulted them into the top 10. LSU got lucky as **** that Melvin Gordon got hurt in week 1 because they were getting pounded by Wisconsin.

Thus, when Mississippi State beat LSU and then beat A&M (two grossly overrated teams in the rankings), they've basically placed themselves into the top 5. Ole Miss also got a chance to pound an overrated A&M team on top of Alabama getting one last good shot at wrecking A&M while they're still in the rankings.

Now, the top 4 SEC West teams are all top 5 so even when Alabama lost to Ole Miss, they dropped like what, two spots? And in the SECCG, they're very likely to face a Georgia team that will be top 10, pushing top 5. When Mississippi State plays Bama, if they lose, what's gonna happen? Drop to like #5? Not a big deal at all. What happens when Ole Miss and Mississippi State play? Same thing.

tsbalr120
10-25-2014, 01:12 PM

It's nice for us because it's been horribly draining playing A&M, bama, then Georgia. We needed a tune up before we play Miss State, LSU, and Ole Miss.

Tears
10-25-2014, 01:17 PM
The SEC is the best conference and has amazing teams.

The problem is that because of this fact, a rank circlejerk has emerged this season and it's actually all due to two games: Mississippi State beating LSU and A&M beating South Carolina in week 1. Mississippi State was by far the greatest benefit of this.

A&M beating an overrated South Carolina team, who was ranked 9, vaulted them into the top 10. LSU got lucky as **** that Melvin Gordon got hurt in week 1 because they were getting pounded by Wisconsin.

Thus, when Mississippi State beat LSU and then beat A&M (two grossly overrated teams in the rankings), they've basically placed themselves into the top 5. Ole Miss also got a chance to pound an overrated A&M team on top of Alabama getting one last good shot at wrecking A&M while they're still in the rankings.

Now, the top 4 SEC West teams are all top 5 so even when Alabama lost to Ole Miss, they dropped like what, two spots? And in the SECCG, they're very likely to face a Georgia team that will be top 10, pushing top 5. When Mississippi State plays Bama, if they lose, what's gonna happen? Drop to like #5? Not a big deal at all.

So A&M is out of the rankings, South Carolina...out of the rankings. What's the problem now? Ms State and Ole' Miss over ranked? Where should they be ranked and who is better and still unbeaten?

woody19
10-25-2014, 01:19 PM
The sec definitely has mastered the scheduling, where you basically have a bye before big games. I think it was bama that screwed in 2011 where all the good teams they played had a bye or crap game before their game. USC has the same thing this year, where almost all of the teams we play have an easy week before us. I don't really agree either playing FCs teams, but it is smart. Especially for teams like Lsu and arky who need to work on their passing games.

jtaylor2010
10-25-2014, 01:34 PM

I like it for two reasons...

1.) we get to see better games early in the season. Most of the big games in the first three weeks involve SEC teams because one of their easy games is near the end of the schedule and not beginning.

2.) the teams get a chance to catch a breather later in the season.