PDA

View Full Version : Dan Wetzel: Death Penalty Should Be On The Table For UNC

James24WR
10-23-2014, 11:23 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/why-the-unc-scandal-is-ncaa-president-mark-emmert-s-chance-at-redemption-160034290.html

MCrow
10-23-2014, 11:29 AM
I have to agree. IMO, this is worse than paying players under the table and it is on a large scale.

chlaxman
10-23-2014, 11:31 AM
Won't happen.

James24WR
10-23-2014, 11:43 AM
Won't happen.

I still don't understand why you think you won't be punished. This is way worse than 2010 and the NCAA would make an even bigger fool out of themselves by letting you off the hook. They have no choice but to drop the hammer.

chlaxman
10-23-2014, 11:52 AM
I still don't understand why you think you won't be punished. This is way worse than 2010 and the NCAA would make an even bigger fool out of themselves by letting you off the hook. They have no choice but to drop the hammer.

Because the NCAA isn't really in the business of going after educational issues. The problem here isn't exactly a sports thing, it was fraud by two professors/department heads that affected sports. The football program was punished already and we already knew about the sham classes when that decision was made. Pre-2007 basketball players were in some of those classes but there's no evidence that Roy did anything wrong.

The death penalty has only been given for point shaving and serious repeat violations. This isn't a repeat violation. UNC cleaned house.

Edit: I should add that I do now think they'll add some punishment to the football program (and other non-revenue programs). I don't think it will be horribly serious, though. I doubt basketball gets touched.

James24WR
10-23-2014, 12:10 PM
Because the NCAA isn't really in the business of going after educational issues. The problem here isn't exactly a sports thing, it was fraud by two professors/department heads that affected sports. The football program was punished already and we already knew about the sham classes when that decision was made. Pre-2007 basketball players were in some of those classes but there's no evidence that Roy did anything wrong.

The death penalty has only been given for point shaving and serious repeat violations. This isn't a repeat violation. UNC cleaned house.

Edit: I should add that I do now think they'll add some punishment to the football program (and other non-revenue programs). I don't think it will be horribly serious, though. I doubt basketball gets touched.

Have you read the Wainstein report??? Lol this is hardly just football. It clearly states it was men's and women's basketball, baseball, and even some non revenue sports. You can't actually seriously beleive this was all the AFAM department. Boxille was not the architect, she was just the contracter. This is the biggest academic fraud case in college sports history and it isn't even close. The NCAA has recently stood by the fact that players are paid with an education. Not acting would completely go against that.

chlaxman
10-23-2014, 12:21 PM
Have you read the Wainstein report??? Lol this is hardly just football. It clearly states it was men's and women's basketball, baseball, and even some non revenue sports. You can't actually seriously beleive this was all the AFAM department. Boxille was not the architect, she was just the contracter. This is the biggest academic fraud case in college sports history and it isn't even close. The NCAA has recently stood by the fact that players are paid with an education. Not acting would completely go against that.

The report clearly states that football coaches knew about it but I've yet to see an accusation that men's basketball coaches knew about it. Now part of that may be because Dean and Guthridge can't be interviewed but I really don't know. I know some other coaches admitted to knowledge but I don't really care about non-revenue sports.

And what do you mean by it wasn't just the AFAM department? Those were the sham classes.

DeshaunWatson
10-23-2014, 12:29 PM
UNC basketball will walk away unscathed.

Phil9
10-23-2014, 12:32 PM

Yup.

James24WR
10-23-2014, 12:34 PM
The report clearly states that football coaches knew about it but I've yet to see an accusation that men's basketball coaches knew about it. Now part of that may be because Dean and Guthridge can't be interviewed but I really don't know. I know some other coaches admitted to knowledge but I don't really care about non-revenue sports.

And what do you mean by it wasn't just the AFAM department? Those were the sham classes.

A lot of people seem to think the AFAM department is all at fault. Everyone was in on it. Boxill, folt, Ross, Williams, swofford, and likely smith. This goes a lot deeper than most heel fans think or want to think. And I promise you sanctions will be dropped all across UNC athletics, despite what you may read on Inside Carolina.

woody19
10-23-2014, 12:35 PM
As long as there wasnt a felon paying for one of their players to leave the school early with a house 2 hours away, then the ncaa wont care.

dcabral80
10-23-2014, 12:39 PM
If UConn was banned from the tournament for low APR scores of players that were no longer on the team, then UNC better be banned from at least one tournament for this.

James24WR
10-23-2014, 12:49 PM
If UConn was banned from the tournament for low APR scores of players that were no longer on the team, then UNC better be banned from at least one tournament for this.

What's even bigger is Minnesota was punished pretty bad for a coach writing a paper for 15 players. That was supposed to be the biggest academic fraud in decades when it happened and now this completely blows that out of the water. The NCAA actually does not even have a set puishment for a scandal this big.

chlaxman
10-23-2014, 12:52 PM
A lot of people seem to think the AFAM department is all at fault. Everyone was in on it. Boxill, folt, Ross, Williams, swofford, and likely smith. This goes a lot deeper than most heel fans think or want to think. And I promise you sanctions will be dropped all across UNC athletics, despite what you may read on Inside Carolina.

You say Williams and Smith were in on it. Based on what?

James24WR
10-23-2014, 12:58 PM
You say Williams and Smith were in on it. Based on what?

I didn't say smith was in on it, although it started when he was around. Roy definitly knew about it. He keeps saying "aw shuck dadgummit I didn't know", but it's obvious he did. A few years ago he said he and the staff knew all their players majors and kept up with their class work to make sure they were okay. Yet when Rashad McCants came out with the truth Roy said he didn't know what his players did in class because his job was to coach. He also claimed he didn't know who willingham was before she unearthed the scandal, yet in the Wainstein report it shows he had talked to her on multiple occasions, as well as other "academic advisors".

James24WR
10-23-2014, 01:01 PM
Btw Chlax, I suggest you read the Wainstein report yourself, instead of listening to IC, or the media, or even me.

chlaxman
10-23-2014, 01:15 PM
I didn't say smith was in on it, although it started when he was around. Roy definitly knew about it. He keeps saying "aw shuck dadgummit I didn't know", but it's obvious he did. A few years ago he said he and the staff knew all their players majors and kept up with their class work to make sure they were okay. Yet when Rashad McCants came out with the truth Roy said he didn't know what his players did in class because his job was to coach. He also claimed he didn't know who willingham was before she unearthed the scandal, yet in the Wainstein report it shows he had talked to her on multiple occasions, as well as other "academic advisors".

Sounds like a bunch of hearsay.

MCrow
10-23-2014, 01:18 PM

They will likely get some sort of punishment but it will likely be nothing close to what it should be.

chlaxman
10-23-2014, 01:19 PM
Btw Chlax, I suggest you read the Wainstein report yourself, instead of listening to IC, or the media, or even me.

Oh hell no. ****s like 180 pages. No thanks Jeff.

If they ban hammer UNC athletics I'll chuckle and watch something else. Having athletics associated with colleges, especially revenue generating athletics, is a terrible model. Things like this just show one reason why.

James24WR
10-23-2014, 01:21 PM
Sounds like a bunch of hearsay.

Lol okay. Beleive what you want. We will just see what happens in the upcoming 1-2 months.

James24WR
10-23-2014, 01:25 PM
They will likely get some sort of punishment but it will likely be nothing close to what it should be.

This. Or the NCAA sets an example of them and brings down the hammer.

Also when the punishment happens you will see it all across the board, not just football or basketball. It will be for all sports or all revenue sports. Although the Wainstein report shows it happened in almost every NCAA sport.

FGCHENG
10-23-2014, 01:28 PM
what does death penalty actually mean here?

James24WR
10-23-2014, 01:33 PM
what does death penalty actually mean here?

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_penalty_(NCAA)

BullStampede
10-23-2014, 01:35 PM
If UM didnt get it, no way UNC gets it.

James24WR
10-23-2014, 01:39 PM
If UM didnt get it, no way UNC gets it.

UM as in Miami? This is way worse than that.

James24WR
10-23-2014, 01:41 PM
David Ridpath, an expert on NCAA compliance issues, saw possible violations detailed in the Wainstein report.
“What is clear is that there are numerous NCAA violations and a clear and convincing case of academic fraud, unethical conduct and lack of institutional control,” he wrote in an email. “I feel that one of our best public institutions sold its soul for the athletics brand, but like anything else the truth wins out and we finally have a clearer picture of what happened. Now the NCAA must take action or simply just admit it cannot police intercollegiate sports.”

ko5567
10-23-2014, 01:51 PM
No way they get the death penalty.

Miked1978
10-23-2014, 01:57 PM
They probably should but i doubt they will. I bet most if not all colleges are peppering their angus for the outcome bc i'm sure a lot of them do this or something similair.

thelast10
10-23-2014, 02:07 PM
Maybe not THEEEEEEEEEEEEE death penalty, but at least a few year post season ban, and probably a reduction in scholarships.... Also I would be SHOCKED if someone in the basketball program, especially the HC didn't know about it.... It only went on for 18 years......... I see a lot of denial ITT from UNC fans....

James24WR
10-23-2014, 02:07 PM
They probably should but i doubt they will. I bet most if not all colleges are peppering their angus for the outcome bc i'm sure a lot of them do this or something similair.

Not many

James24WR
10-23-2014, 02:09 PM
Maybe not THEEEEEEEEEEEEE death penalty, but at least a few year post season ban, and probably a reduction in scholarships.... Also I would be SHOCKED if someone in the basketball program, especially the HC didn't know about it.... It only went on for 18 years......... I see a lot of denial ITT from UNC fans....
You can't really blame them from all the **** that the school and UNC homers in media are feeding them

chlaxman
10-23-2014, 02:17 PM
You can't really blame them from all the **** that the school and UNC homers in media are feeding them

I didn't say that Roy didn't know about the classes, just that there's not any evidence he knew. There's a reason players stopped taking the classes years before any accusations were made.

James24WR
10-23-2014, 02:21 PM
I didn't say that Roy didn't know about the classes, just that there's not any evidence he knew. There's a reason players stopped taking the classes years before any accusations were made.

Players stopped taking classes the same time the football scandal broke lol. That's the reason.

James24WR
10-23-2014, 02:24 PM
And there is evidence Roy knew in the report. You just have to connect the dots. I don't have time to spell it all out for you beause I'm walking home from the gym now and then going to watch my brothers game. I'd be glad to later tonight.

chlaxman
10-23-2014, 02:27 PM
Players stopped taking classes the same time the football scandal broke lol. That's the reason.

Pretty sure they stopped in 2007 and reduced it earlier.

Feel free to go through the evidence against men's bball when you've got time. I'm busy for a few hours but obviously I'll listen. Evidence just seemed very circumstantial.

DeshaunWatson
10-23-2014, 02:45 PM
UNC is one of the top 10 highest merchandised schools.

The basketball program will be safe. Nothing to see here. Look at FSU, shadiness at its finest. I would be more worried about students getting raped over grades.

James24WR
10-23-2014, 02:46 PM
Mark Armstrong ********@ArmstrongABC11 1m 1 minute ago
Just finished long convo with Gerald Gurney - who has studied every NCAA academic fraud case and their adjudication since 1953...1/2

Mark Armstrong ********@ArmstrongABC11 3s 3 seconds ago
Long story short -- he called this the 'blue ribbon case' of academic fraud. Called it textbook LOIC and fully expects vacated wins/title.

James24WR
10-23-2014, 02:47 PM
Pretty sure they stopped in 2007 and reduced it earlier.

Feel free to go through the evidence against men's bball when you've got time. I'm busy for a few hours but obviously I'll listen. Evidence just seemed very circumstantial.

Noooo, it lasted until 2011

heelhavoc12
10-23-2014, 03:04 PM
There is no way Roy didn't know about this just LOL. But I don't think much will happen here

thelast10
10-23-2014, 04:56 PM
As a Duke fan this is bittersweet... As much as I dislike UNC, if they get a death penalty it wont even be a competition for a number of years, and then it would be like having a rivalry with someone with 1 leg... It's not a fair fight anymore... However if they did do it, then they should definitely get punished....

James24WR
10-23-2014, 05:03 PM
As a Duke fan this is bittersweet... As much as I dislike UNC, if they get a death penalty it wont even be a competition for a number of years, and then it would be like having a rivalry with someone with 1 leg... It's not a fair fight anymore... However if they did do it, then they should definitely get punished....
Until nc state comes back and fills UNCs void.

Srs

Not srs

Semi srs

thelast10
10-23-2014, 05:23 PM
Until nc state comes back and fills UNCs void.

Srs

Not srs

Semi srs

Duke is always good for a court storming or 2 in the ACC every year.... They are solid AF at home.... They may have one of the best home court advantages in basketball period, all levels....

DeshaunWatson
10-23-2014, 05:33 PM
Duke is always good for a court storming or 2 in the ACC every year.... They are solid AF at home.... They may have one of the best home court advantages in basketball period, all levels....

i think it's just the refs. Wherever Duke plays, it's stripes and Coach K vs opponent.

Do you even last years ACC tournament vs Clemson?

hood trips on his own 2 feet, blows whistle for clemson foul.. you wot?

just lol

thelast10
10-23-2014, 05:36 PM
i think it's just the refs. Wherever Duke plays, it's stripes and Coach K vs opponent.

Do you even last years ACC tournament vs Clemson?

just lol

Do you even Duke vs Syracuse Rodney hood gets fouled hard AF to put Duke ahead, instead no call, goes to OT or 2nd OT (don't exactly remember) but they get shafted too....

**It's not like getting the top prospects, having them stay for multiple years (well not so much as of late), and the guy they choose to coach USA Olympics as the HC, has anything to do with winning..... lol

James24WR
10-23-2014, 05:55 PM
Do you even Duke vs Syracuse Rodney hood gets fouled hard AF to put Duke ahead, instead no call, goes to OT or 2nd OT (don't exactly remember) but they get shafted too....

**It's not like getting the top prospects, having them stay for multiple years (well not so much as of late), and the guy they choose to coach USA Olympics as the HC, has anything to do with winning..... lol
Coach k is one of, if not the best coaches of all time, but Duke and the holes get the calls. It's been that way for a while.

Lunatic
10-23-2014, 06:24 PM
They deserve to have their athletic department completely dismantled for this. ANY other colleges that've done anything like this should have the same happen. Complete bull****.

James24WR
10-23-2014, 06:49 PM

But who was Reynolds ****seum in the 70s-late 80s?

Buc-u
10-23-2014, 08:42 PM
BREAKING NEWS: Eligibility trumps academics in big time collegiate sports.

thelast10
10-23-2014, 09:17 PM
But who was Reynolds ****seum in the 70s-late 80s?

Dunno, I wasn't alive or just a fetus for that time period so I can't comment.... I am saying now.... That atmosphere is crazy. I have a theory on it... It's a school that's not Ivy League, but the notch below. Of the schools of that caliber (requirements to get in), it's the only school I can think of that has an annual contender... So that factors in. So (sorry for making this unorganized, I will try to fix it up below)

1. Kids that attend duke 9/10 probably spent the majority of their time taking the toughest HS classes available, extra curricular, probably learning other languages, instruments, student government, volunteering etc... (No BS, when my dad went to Duke, this is going back to this mid-late 60's I assume) during orientation or something like that, they did the whole "look to your left, look to your right, one or 2 of you won't make it." The late 60's was a different atmosphere than today, just saying that to show that even while your at school, I'm sure it's HARD AF compared to your average University.

2. These kids that are at the games, more than likely are away from their strict parents for the first time in their life. Enjoying their freedom and making new friends for the first time. They have been wound up so tight their entire life (most of them) that this is a great way to get their stress out (screaming at games, getting excited)

3. Duke is typically a GREAT 3 point shooting team... Other than a sick dunk, nothing gets a crowd amped up more then 3's raining down....

4. #4 is hard for me to really comment on, but I'll give it a shot. I went to Arizona State, which I think is the exception to the rule. Although during my time at ASU the only teams who made it deep were the women's basketball (finals) but nobody gave AF, and I think the baseball team (school is over by the time the baseball playoffs roll around). Anyways even when the football/basketball team won, it didn't have an impact on the parties/party atmosphere. Even some of the bro's on here who have been to ASU when they where ranked in football, made it to the Pac-12 championship say that the parties aren't affected in anyway by the sports. I ASSUME, I could be wrong, but I am pretty sure most schools party harder when their team wins....

5. Duke up until recently has had no success at any other mainstream sports other than basketball (Lacrosse doesn't count), they are getting a little love for their football now, but it's still a basketball school.

6. Duke fans like to rustle jimmies on in bounds with that waving hand thing they do... lol

7. Odds are if you attend Duke for 4 years, you will probably see no less than 2 sweet 16's, and 2 elite 8 or better.... So annual contenders....

8. Is there a better atmosphere in college basketball today?? I am sure there are some that are great, just as good, but my point was Duke really uses their home court advantage, didn't they have something like 130+ wins in out of conference games (dunno if that streak got snapped or not??)

9. yea that about sums up why I think the atmosphere is what it is....

10. Oh yea, Coach K, duhhhhhhhhhh lol

James24WR
10-24-2014, 04:55 AM
Dunno, I wasn't alive or just a fetus for that time period so I can't comment.... I am saying
On Reynolds ****seum
Jay Bilas:

To me, the toughest places to play had more to do with the quality of the opposing team than anything else, but Reynolds ****seum at NC State was the toughest place I played while in college. Reynolds was configured much the same way as Cameron Indoor Stadium, but the end zones were much deeper and the sides were right on top of you. Reynolds was loud, edgy and intense. The Wolfpack under Jim Valvano were a tough out and the games were always fistfights, but the thing I remember most is coming back to a huddle and seeing lips move, but not being able to hear what was said. It was so hot and loud that your head would spin. Of course, having to guard guys like Thurl Bailey, Lorenzo Charles, Cozell McQueen and Chris Washburn probably had something to do with my head spinning.

Hubert Davis:

The toughest place I ever played was Reynolds ****seum, former home of the NC State Wolfpack. Cameron Indoor Stadium and Cole Field House don't even come close. I remember the long walk from the locker room to the floor. You had to enter under the bleachers and then had to sprint to the floor so that the fans wouldn't throw soda on us. The end zone seating went back as far as I've ever seen – the sea of red just never seemed to end. In the four years I played there as a Tar Heel, I never scored on the opposite basket away from our bench in the first half. I eventually calmed down, but was always flustered in those first 20 minutes. It was that intimidating.

David Thompson and other players from that era used to say when they walked in that stadium they never even dreamed of losing.

PervedOut
10-24-2014, 05:43 AM
The Death Penalty is dead. Way too much money involved to impose something like this anymore. Its very similar to hardcore criminals being put on lifetime probation/parole. They want to punish you but if you cant contribute to them financially, youre useless.

UGK4lyfe
10-24-2014, 06:33 AM
NCAA has already said after SMU they will NEVER give another school the death penalty so that's not even worth mentioning.

BullStampede
10-24-2014, 10:13 AM
UNC is one of the top 10 highest merchandised schools.

The basketball program will be safe. Nothing to see here. Look at FSU, shadiness at its finest. I would be more worried about students getting raped over grades.

So obsessed. Just so obsessed.

thelast10
10-24-2014, 02:00 PM
On Reynolds ****seum
Jay Bilas:

To me, the toughest places to play had more to do with the quality of the opposing team than anything else, but Reynolds ****seum at NC State was the toughest place I played while in college. Reynolds was configured much the same way as Cameron Indoor Stadium, but the end zones were much deeper and the sides were right on top of you. Reynolds was loud, edgy and intense. The Wolfpack under Jim Valvano were a tough out and the games were always fistfights, but the thing I remember most is coming back to a huddle and seeing lips move, but not being able to hear what was said. It was so hot and loud that your head would spin. Of course, having to guard guys like Thurl Bailey, Lorenzo Charles, Cozell McQueen and Chris Washburn probably had something to do with my head spinning.

Hubert Davis:

The toughest place I ever played was Reynolds ****seum, former home of the NC State Wolfpack. Cameron Indoor Stadium and Cole Field House don't even come close. I remember the long walk from the locker room to the floor. You had to enter under the bleachers and then had to sprint to the floor so that the fans wouldn't throw soda on us. The end zone seating went back as far as I've ever seen – the sea of red just never seemed to end. In the four years I played there as a Tar Heel, I never scored on the opposite basket away from our bench in the first half. I eventually calmed down, but was always flustered in those first 20 minutes. It was that intimidating.

David Thompson and other players from that era used to say when they walked in that stadium they never even dreamed of losing.

If there was ever a team of destiny, or the epitome of a miracle run it was that NC State team.... I remember watched the 30for30 on it, Holeeeeee fuark, so many things had to go right for them, they had to win the ACC tourney just to get into the March Madness if I remember correctly??

thelast10
10-24-2014, 02:19 PM
might as well ban college sports altogether then, this happens at every single school

I remember my cousin went to a big school, who was highly ranked (top 10 I think) at the time, and he was saying they had this Geology class where you basically got an A for signing up and showing up, the students dubbed it "Rocks for Jocks" lol

TerellOwens
10-24-2014, 02:32 PM
why don't they just give them a degree i n football.

offense 101
defense 101
special teams 101

BrawnySwoleman
10-24-2014, 03:26 PM
Hey hey what they did was wrong but I think they still have a right to live.

MTCC
10-24-2014, 03:26 PM
This is definitely worthy of the death penalty, but there is NO WAY it is going to happen. You are missing that this punishment is much bigger than just UNC. This issue occurs at numerous schools in every single top conference, but its a matter of transparency. Other schools know not to "label" certain courses as athletes only. What happens is schools will generally let athletes pick their schedule with the highest priority, even more than a senior with 1 credit left to graduate. By doing this, they can then get their first pick at the easier classes while leaving some spots open for other students. Setting the precedent at death penalty would be one the worst outcomes for college athletics.

fly4navy117
10-24-2014, 05:56 PM
The death penalty, as it exists now, is an empty threat. SMU never recovered and they won't risk UNC never recovering. UNC football may be nothing special, but UNC basketball is a flagship program. If UNC BB didn't recover, they'd have willingly cost themselves tens of millions in TV revenue. The absolute heaviest they would level is a 2 year multi sport post season ban.

James24WR
10-24-2014, 07:40 PM
"Everyone does it" is not true. This does not happen everywhere. There are easy classes that players take at every school. UNC MADE CLASSES FOR THE PLAYERS that were not just easy, they weren't even classes. In the Wainstein report, you will see in the emails that the staff refers to them as "fictious classes". That bogus "everyone does it" excuse is retarded and false. If you think UNC did what everyone is doing then you need to take a real look at the report...

James24WR
10-24-2014, 07:41 PM
If there was ever a team of destiny, or the epitome of a miracle run it was that NC State team.... I remember watched the 30for30 on it, Holeeeeee fuark, so many things had to go right for them, they had to win the ACC tourney just to get into the March Madness if I remember correctly??

Yep. They needed to win the ACC for the autobid.

thelast10
10-24-2014, 07:55 PM
"Everyone does it" is not true. This does not happen everywhere. There are easy classes that players take at every school. UNC MADE CLASSES FOR THE PLAYERS that were not just easy, they weren't even classes. In the Wainstein report, you will see in the emails that the staff refers to them as "fictious classes". That bogus "everyone does it" excuse is retarded and false. If you think UNC did what everyone is doing then you need to take a real look at the report...

Not everyone does it obviously.... They did it too an extreme... But I would imagine 50-75% of schools make life/academics easier for athletes... Not fake classes, but easier ones...

James24WR
10-24-2014, 08:09 PM
Not everyone does it obviously.... They did it too an extreme... But I would imagine 50-75% of schools make life/academics easier for athletes... Not fake classes, but easier ones...

Very few, if any, have been doing anything as severe as what's been going on in chapped hell

chlaxman
10-24-2014, 08:48 PM
Very few, if any, have been doing anything as severe as what's been going on in chapped hell

On a scale of 1-10, how mad are you gonna be when the men's bball team doesn't get punished (maybe some vacated wins at most) and the football team gets some minor punishment at most?

thelast10
10-24-2014, 09:24 PM
On a scale of 1-10, how mad are you gonna be when the men's bball team doesn't get punished (maybe some vacated wins at most) and the football team gets some minor punishment at most?

They will probably get a 1-2yr post season ban, and 1-2 scholarship reduction over said years....

HumptyBrah
10-24-2014, 09:29 PM
Judging by this thread, he will be 15/10 mad

James24WR
10-25-2014, 11:02 AM

Lol keep drinking that IC fruit kool-aid.