PDA

View Full Version : Are we ready to accept Anthony Davis as the best big man in the NBA?

Vitamin0
10-22-2014, 12:35 PM
http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/d/davisan02.html

Developing that jOOOcey jumper too... hasn't even reach his ceiling yet, fuark.

btw, Drummond is the second best big currently.

laxster
10-22-2014, 12:54 PM
Cousins > *

sdballer5588
10-22-2014, 01:23 PM
He's a shorter Garnett with a weaker offensive game.

chlaxman
10-22-2014, 01:26 PM
Opptamy of a great PF.

neighborr
10-22-2014, 01:30 PM
http://cdn.fansided.com/gif/Anthony_Davis_great_defensive_play_against_Deron_W illiams.gif

dat wingspan game ridiculous

all hail the DPOY

sdballer5588
10-22-2014, 01:34 PM
http://cdn.fansided.com/gif/Anthony_Davis_great_defensive_play_against_Deron_W illiams.gif

all hail the DPOY

That gif could easily have been about how washed up Deron Williams is.

holtmcg
10-22-2014, 01:42 PM
Opptamy of a great PF.so is this the new thing now?

i cant believe that dude misspelled it twice... lmao.

chlaxman
10-22-2014, 01:43 PM

all hail the DPOY

Deron Williams Brain:

"Sweet I got Davis iso'd on the perimeter."

"Sick crossover Deron! Now let's drain this J..."

"What the ****?"

"Ahhhh the ankles!"

Ivan7x
10-22-2014, 02:16 PM
He's a shorter Garnett with a weaker offensive game.this

he aint no dirk

sdballer5588
10-22-2014, 02:18 PM
this

he aint no dirk

K5d5jxJ5vbM

CougarP01
10-22-2014, 02:26 PM
http://i.minus.com/iBLnC90k528vD.gif

nothxjeff

chlaxman
10-22-2014, 04:28 PM
http://i.minus.com/iBLnC90k528vD.gif

nothxjeff

Al is one of the most entertaining low post players in the NBA, but he's no Davis.

Now imagine if Charlotte had gotten Davis instead of MKG and it was Davis/Al. That's some hnnnnggggg

jbball92
10-22-2014, 04:32 PM
OScpNRJtiZQ

freshnevafrozen
10-22-2014, 04:34 PM
Lol, just lol at you if you put Davis over Cousins.

Powers
10-22-2014, 04:45 PM
He's a shorter Garnett with a weaker offensive game.

“That kid is long,” the aging Celtics superstar said of the Hornets rookie. “He makes me look like a midget, man. I was nothing like him. He’s a freak of nature. This kid’s going to be really good. He’s going to be really good.”

nvrstopworking
10-22-2014, 04:50 PM
Probably Davis at this point.... but Drummond and Cousins have a chance to make up ground this season.

Also forgetting Blake... who's game to quite a leap last season.

And Love?

HoganIsGOAT
10-22-2014, 06:11 PM
OScpNRJtiZQ

Damn lol. You beat me to posting this.

Mrs Grudge
10-22-2014, 06:52 PM
He might be this year, if not sooner than later.

As of now though - Griffin, Howard, Alridge, Love and Nowitzki were all better than him last season.

fsujoseph
10-22-2014, 07:10 PM
OScpNRJtiZQ

That is a little gay, but c'mon that's still pretty normal boys locker room behavior nomasaiyan?

1800_Cool_Guy
10-22-2014, 07:12 PM
Nah. In fantasy sure but he's not there yet.

10-22-2014, 07:18 PM
Nah. In fantasy sure but he's not there yet.

Who's better? Only argument is for Griffin and Love, but we all know Love's role will be reduced this year and Griffin won't have the luxury of playing without CP3 for ~20 games.

Mrs Grudge
10-22-2014, 07:23 PM
Who's better? Only argument is for Griffin and Love, but we all know Love's role will be reduced this year and Griffin won't have the luxury of playing without CP3 for ~20 games.

The 5 guys I mentioned.

I also don't understand, he just said he's not talking about fantasy basketball, so what relevance if Love/Griffin's roles would get reduced playing with James/CP3? We're talking about the best big men in the NBA, not the guys who put up the best numbers.

I also disagree that Love and Griffin's numbers will go down. They are the second options to two guys in Paul and James who love to pass and make others better. They will get fed what ever they want.

chlaxman
10-22-2014, 07:24 PM
He might be this year, if not sooner than later.

As of now though - Griffin, Howard, Alridge, Love and Nowitzki were all better than him last season.

Not really. Davis was clearly better than Howard, Aldridge (can't believe he's even on this list), and Nowitzki overall. And he was better than Griffin, albeit not clearly. A case for Love could be made, though.

fsujoseph
10-22-2014, 07:28 PM

I would say it's a tie between Dwight Howard and AD. If Dwight was on the chitty Pels he could put up Orlando numbers

10-22-2014, 07:28 PM
The 5 guys I mentioned.

I also don't understand, he just said he's not talking about fantasy basketball, so what relevance if Love/Griffin's roles would get reduced playing with James/CP3? We're talking about the best big men in the NBA, not the guys who put up the best numbers.

I also disagree that Love and Griffin's numbers will go down. They are the second options to two guys in Paul and James who love to pass and make others better. They will get fed what ever they want.

Let's pretend that Wade and Bosh's numbers didn't take hits from playing with Lebron. Griffin's might not drop, but part of the reason his numbers were so insane last year was because he averaged something like 28/12/4 while CP3 was out.

Outside of Howard, all of the guys you listed lack the one thing that Davis excels in: defense. His offensive game is still developing, but he's already a great defender.

I would say it's a tie between Dwight Howard and AD. If Dwight was on the chitty Pels he could put up Orlando numbers

I'll agree with that. He also has the defense to match Davis, which is huge for big men.

chlaxman
10-22-2014, 07:31 PM
Let's pretend that Wade and Bosh's numbers didn't take hits from playing with Lebron. Griffin's might not drop, but part of the reason his numbers were so insane last year was because he averaged something like 28/12/4 while CP3 was out.

Outside of Howard, all of the guys you listed lack the one thing that Davis excels in: defense. His offensive game is still developing, but he's already a great defender.

So much this. Davis is one of the best low post defenders, if not the best considering his versatility.

Mrs Grudge
10-22-2014, 07:38 PM
Also, the Pelicans for a lotto team are not that weak either. They have Jrue Holiday, Eric Gordon and Ryan Anderson - if Anthony Davis was already the best big man in the league (which would make him a top 5 player, if not higher), then the Pelicans wouldn't have been a 34 win team. I haven't really seen any advance metrics to show that Anthony Davis greatly impacted the Pelicans that much. Like someone else said, he might be the best big in fantasy ball, but in real life - there's no proof of it; at least not of last season.

Davis was clearly better than Howard...based on what? . Some of the Orlando teams Howard carried were god awful. Howard is still a better pick and role defender, his post game is still better than ADs who really doesn't have much of one yet, Howard is also a significantly better rebounder. I don't see the evidence for AD being better than Dwight.

Alridge had an amazing post season, not sure why anyone is discrediting him. He was the best player on the Blazers, and it is not like the Blazers are stacked.

Nowtizki helped carry the Mavs to the playoffs, a team that may have had even less talent than the Pelicans. Dirk is still a beast at making others better, him and Carlisle are responsible for the only season where Monta Ellis didn't come off as a cancerous chucker, and an actual impact player.

If we're just saying AD is as good as guys like Blake Griffin and Kevin Love because he put numbers on a bad team, then why isn't Cousins being mentioned? Cousin's stats are pretty much just as good.

chlaxman
10-22-2014, 07:41 PM
Also, the Pelicans for a lotto team are not that weak either. They have Jrue Holiday, Eric Gordon and Ryan Anderson - if Anthony Davis was already the best big man in the league (which would make him a top 5 player, if not higher), then the Pelicans wouldn't have been a 34 win team. I haven't really seen any advance metrics to show that Anthony Davis greatly impacted the Pelicans that much. Like someone else said, he might be the best big in fantasy ball, but in real life - there's no proof of it; at least not of last season.

Davis was clearly better than Howard...based on what? . Some of the Orlando teams Howard carried were god awful. Howard is still a better pick and role defender, his post game is still better than ADs who really doesn't have much of one yet, Howard is also a significantly better rebounder. I don't see the evidence for AD being better than Dwight.

Alridge had an amazing post season, not sure why anyone is discrediting him.

Nowtizki helped carry the Mavs to the playoffs, a team that may have had even less talent than the Pelicans. Dirk is still a beast at making others better, him and Carlisle are responsible for the only season where Monta Ellis didn't come off as a cancerous chucker, and an actual impact player.

If we're just saying AD is as good as guys like Blake Griffin and Kevin Love because he put numbers on a bad team, then why isn't Cousins being mentioned? Cousin's stats are pretty much just as good.

You didn't see any advanced metrics saying that Davis was that good?

How about that he was 4th in PER?
How about that the Pelicans were about the most injured team in the league?
How about that Eric Gordan and Tyreke Evans suck?
How about actually watching him play?

BTW Cousins WAS really good last year.

10-22-2014, 07:44 PM

Alridge had an amazing post season, not sure why anyone is discrediting him. He was the best player on the Blazers, and it is not like the Blazers are stacked.

Jrue was injured. Gordon was injured. Anderson missed most of the season. Tyreke sucked. They were starting Jason Smith ffs. Take Davis off that team last year with all the injuries and they would've been battling with Milwaukee and Philly for the worst record.

neighborr
10-22-2014, 07:46 PM
Jrue was injured. Gordon was injured. Anderson missed most of the season. Tyreke sucked. They were starting Jason Smith ffs. Take Davis off that team last year with all the injuries and they would've been battling with Milwaukee and Philly for the worst record.

How about that he was 4th in PER?
How about that the Pelicans were about the most injured team in the league?
How about that Eric Gordan and Tyreke Evans suck?
How about actually watching him play?

BTW Cousins WAS really good last year.

These are spot on. It's clear that Ms. Grudge either

a) does not watch basketball
b) has the memory span of a goldfish
c) both a and b

Mrs Grudge
10-22-2014, 07:46 PM

How about that he was 4th in PER?What about his defensive metrics?

How about that the Pelicans were about the most injured team in the league?They had injuries yes, as does everyone. You can't be serious, they had 34 wins. You are saying he is the best big man in the league, literally an MVP caliber player - they would have gotten more than 34 wins regardless if they had injury problems, and it is not like their entire roster were injured at the same time.

How about that Eric Gordan and Tyreke Evans suck?I don't like them, but it is a little much to say they "suck"

How about actually watching him play?The primary drive for people suggesting that AD is the best big man in the game already (which is absurd) is based off of boxscore stats, yet you're suggesting that...I don't watch him play? That makes no sense. Some of the things people are saying about his D and O suggest that they are the ones that have not seen him play. I've watched him since college, and could tell he was the best player on the team despite hardly putting up gaudy stats - let's not dive into hyperbole to get your point across. Most people here do not even know what a basic thing like PER is...

BTW Cousins WAS really good last year.Yeah, and I am saying - what separates the two?

You make it seem like all the other big men had such stacked teams or great circumstances in their favor as well - it is not a given that if you replace some of these big men with Davis, those teams would have the same level of success. You're greatly overestimating what some of the guys who I put over Davis did.

Mrs Grudge
10-22-2014, 07:54 PM
Also, Anthony Davis is not even close to the best rebounder in the league. Love, Howard and Griffin are all significantly better rebounders at this stage in their careers.

Love and Griffin have amazing offensive impact, that far exceeds anything that Davis has ever done (though his face tot he basket game is really advance for his age, something that not a lot of people expected this early). Love and Griffin's scoring isn't the only thing that is great, but their ability to stretch and their playmaking abilities make them beastly franchise players.

Dirk's stats won't ever capture how good he was last year, but I find it ironic that someone can disregard Dirk and then suggest that I don't watch basketball - when typically the only people who thought Dirk was not a top ten player last year are people who just look at boxscore stats.

Defensively, Davis has been overrated last season due to his amazing shot blocking ability. Not saying that he is not a great defender, but people talk as if he is Tim Duncan/Kevin Garnett tier already.

If we break down every big in a skill to skill or attribute to attribute comparison, I still don't see how Davis is the best big in the league. I think the best bigs are between Love, Howard and Griffin - could someone explain in detail how Davis is better than those 3?

chlaxman
10-22-2014, 08:01 PM
What about his defensive metrics?

Davis was #3 in that. Only person on that list even close was Howard.

They had injuries yes, as does everyone. You can't be serious, they had 34 wins. You are saying he is the best big man in the league, literally an MVP caliber player - they would have gotten more than 34 wins regardless if they had injury problems, and it is not like their entire roster were injured at the same time.

34 wins in the WC...with way more injuries than any other good team. And yeah, their entire roster WAS injured a lot of the time.

I don't like them, but it is a little much to say they "suck"

Yeah, maybe they don't suck. But Gordon and Evans aren't good. At all.

The primary drive for people suggesting that AD is the best big man in the game already (which is absurd) is based off of boxscore stats, yet you're suggesting that...I don't watch him play? That makes no sense. Some of the things people are saying about his D and O suggest that they are the ones that have not seen him play. I've watched him since college, and could tell he was the best player on the team despite hardly putting up gaudy stats - let's not dive into hyperbole to get your point across. Most people here do not even know what a basic thing like PER is...

No. People who actually watch Davis play understand the kind of effect he has on the game.

Yeah, and I am saying - what separates the two?

I'm not suggesting there's a huge difference between the two. I do think Davis is going to make a huge jump this year though.

You make it seem like all the other big men had such stacked teams or great circumstances in their favor as well - it is not a given that if you replace some of these big men with Davis, those teams would have the same level of success. You're greatly overestimating what some of the guys who I put over Davis did.

The other players you mentioned DO have relatively stacked teams compared to Davis (save what Love had last year). Griffin is on a stacked roster, Aldridge is on a stacked offensive roster, Howard has a good roster, Dirk has a good roster, etc.

10-22-2014, 08:05 PM
No. People who actually watch Davis play understand the kind of effect he has on the game.

This lol. 20/10/2.6blks on paper doesn't make him the best in the league. Watching how he transforms a team that can best be defined as the opptamy of mediocre is what makes him (arguably) the best. Not saying that Love, Howard, and Griffin don't have their cases, but Davis is a special player. Really special.

jalundah
10-22-2014, 08:16 PM
Anyone who doesn't think Anthony Davis is about to take over as THE dominant NBA big man is either delusional or just wants to argue with OP. The dude is only 21 and already a top 10 NBA player. Who was the last 21 year old you could say that about? KD? Before him.... Lebron.

The 3rd year is usually the breakout year. Would not be surprised if he got 24/12/4 this year and the Pelicans get a 6-7 seed

GOON28
10-22-2014, 08:29 PM
His still entering is prime. If is continuously improve, in 1 - 2 years he will be considered the best big men.

HoganIsGOAT
10-22-2014, 08:48 PM
That is a little gay, but c'mon that's still pretty normal boys locker room behavior nomasaiyan?

http://i.imgur.com/D1m0Q2T.gif

AirJordanB
10-22-2014, 08:51 PM
http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/d/davisan02.html

Developing that jOOOcey jumper too... hasn't even reach his ceiling yet, fuark.

btw, Drummond is the second best big currently.

No shi*t, sherlock. He's 21.

nvrstopworking
10-22-2014, 09:02 PM
Grudge has a point.

Almost every year there's a big who puts up gaudy numbers and just gets ignored because his team doesn't do anything.

A few years ago it was Bosh in TOR.

These past couple it's been Cousins in SAC.

Temuz
10-22-2014, 11:27 PM
Big Boogie for best big man in the NBA.

If Bynum had managed to stay healthy and not mess up his knee every step he takes, he had potential of being the best offensive center in quite a long time. (semi-srs)