PDA

View Full Version : How would college football be if they required legitamite hard earned GPA

james21561
10-21-2014, 05:24 PM
you know, most of these D1 athletes can't read on a 5th grade level which is actually confirmed. they get a pass for being athletic but what if theywere required to study at the same level as other university students are on. Kids in high school kill it with the books night and day just to attend their dream school, while athletes attend by being genetic freaks

pedobearu_aware
10-21-2014, 05:29 PM
The NCAA has higher academic standards coming in 2016 along with "academic redshirts" fyi.

http://www.wbca.org/files/RULES_High_School_IE_Standards.pdf

chlaxman
10-21-2014, 06:01 PM
That's why the ratings for the Ivy League games are so much higher than SEC games. I know I'm certainly more interested in a player's transcript than their ability.

smashedpotato
10-21-2014, 06:11 PM
That's why the ratings for the Ivy League games are so much higher than SEC games. I know I'm certainly more interested in a player's transcript than their ability.

lulz

HumptyBrah
10-21-2014, 06:19 PM
It's laughable that public universities can give free tuition to people - many of whom are from out of state - based on their bench press or their 40 time, instead of their academic aptitude and what they bring to the table intellectually. All kinds of deserving students can't go to college because they can't afford it (because their families technically earn too much to qualify for financial aid yet are still poor) yet Bo Buck from Hicksville, who can barely tie his shoes and slept through all his high school classes, gets a free ride because he can throw a football 60 yards.

smashedpotato
10-21-2014, 06:24 PM
Until the day comes that athletes stop bringing in tons and tons of money for colleges nothing is going to change...

TerellOwens
10-21-2014, 06:27 PM
NFL would create a D-league and college football would be destroyed overnight

TerellOwens
10-21-2014, 06:28 PM
It's laughable that public universities can give free tuition to people - many of whom are from out of state - based on their bench press or their 40 time, instead of their academic aptitude and what they bring to the table intellectually. All kinds of deserving students can't go to college because they can't afford it (because their families technically earn too much to qualify for financial aid yet are still poor) yet Bo Buck from Hicksville, who can barely tie his shoes and slept through all his high school classes, gets a free ride because he can throw a football 60 yards.
Cause Bo Buck from Hicksville makes the University money, which in turn can be used to expand the college programs even more. Or offer more scholarships.

HumptyBrah
10-21-2014, 06:29 PM
Cause Bo Buck from Hicksville makes the University money, which in turn can be used to expand the college programs even more. Or offer more scholarships.
Yet only something like 25 FBS programs are actually solvent. The vast majority of FBS programs are subsidized by the university.

TerellOwens
10-21-2014, 06:37 PM
Yet only something like 25 FBS programs are actually solvent. The vast majority of FBS programs are subsidized by the university.
Why do people do business? 90% of businesses don't make money or lose money.

Good managers vs Bad Managers.

airdog93
10-21-2014, 06:48 PM
Why do people do business? 90% of businesses don't make money or lose money.

Good managers vs Bad Managers.

public universities are not for-profit businesses

the.more.you.know.jpg

TheMarshall
10-21-2014, 07:01 PM
Well Jimmy the rich kid can get a free ride because he's had private trumpet lessons since he was 8 that the poor kids couldn't afford. Athletic scholarships aren't the only kind.

HumptyBrah
10-21-2014, 07:02 PM
Well Jimmy the rich kid can get a free ride because he's had private trumpet lessons since he was 8 that the poor kids couldn't afford. Athletic scholarships aren't the only kind.
Except this thread isn't about trumpet scholarships, is it? Nor is this the trumpet section of the misc.

FGCHENG
10-21-2014, 07:04 PM
Suppy and demand. People aren't watching these athletes do a calculus test. People are paying to watch them play on the field. In this world, it's all about what you can bring to the table. If football is what they're good at, they don't need to be straight A students to make big dough. Of course I get what you're saying.. some people are just born with freak genetics, but life isn't always fair.

holtmcg
10-21-2014, 07:07 PM
What's more entertaining? Watching a team full of Will Huntings, or a team full of Vince Youngs?

smashedpotato
10-21-2014, 07:07 PM
Trumpet misc..

tpt
10-21-2014, 07:08 PM

Awwwww. You want life to be fair dont you. Poor you

HumptyBrah
10-21-2014, 07:10 PM
Awwwww. You want life to be fair dont you. Poor you
Actually it's the tax money thing I'm pissed about, hence me repeatedly specifying public universities.

I realize you Canadians don't give a fuk what happens with your tax dollars, but some of us here in the States actually care a little.

YWOC
10-21-2014, 07:11 PM
Most colleges wouldn't even be able to field a team

gharamlifter
10-21-2014, 07:13 PM
apparently a lot of them aren't even natty.

to be fair, Bo prolly works his ass off on the field and in the gym.

holtmcg
10-21-2014, 07:13 PM
Actually it's the tax money thing I'm pissed about, hence me repeatedly specifying public universities.

I realize you Canadians don't give a fuk what happens with your tax dollars, but some of us here in the States actually care a little.lol'd

dajungle
10-21-2014, 07:17 PM

lol /thread

ko5567
10-21-2014, 07:22 PM

Haven't you seen the enterprise commercial?

Most college athletes major in something other than sports

ocill88
10-21-2014, 07:30 PM
Okay op let's get rid of the whole sec and those southern school and pretty much keep everything else . Pac 12 has the best athletes and brains by far brb cal brb ,stanford, brb ucla brb any school in conference

stevemckenna
10-21-2014, 07:33 PM
What's more entertaining? Watching a team full of Will Huntings, or a team full of Vince Youngs?

Will there be equations and **** on the field?

TheMarshall
10-21-2014, 07:41 PM
Except this thread isn't about trumpet scholarships, is it? Nor is this the trumpet section of the misc.
God damnit I thought I was in the Trumpet misc what the **** happened

BigDawg69
10-21-2014, 08:07 PM
the 25 schools thing is bullsht, they could easily show a profit but they continually add facilities to bring in recruits and impress boosters.They also count revenue sent back to the school as an expense in their budget. The athletic department budget doesn't take into account the money alumni give because of sports, Texas AM's broke their donation record by 300 milion last year because their team stopped sucking dick and the alumni want to be a part of it.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2014/6/6/5783394/college-sports-profits-money-schools-revenues-subsidies

OrNahhh
10-21-2014, 08:34 PM
Oh look. Fat fuk hating on D1 athletes.

HughBMyron
10-21-2014, 08:54 PM

I realize you Canadians don't give a fuk what happens with your tax dollars, but some of us here in the States actually care a little.

Lol we pay way more in tax then you do.

difference is most of ours goes to a certian race that lives here.

BRB ill take my tax money going to college football over certain races

neighborr
10-21-2014, 08:59 PM

I could be wrong, but I believe the number is actually much lower. Something like 4 or 5 are not subsidized.

I know at LSU our athletic department is completely separate from the university, and not only are we not subsidized, the AD gives BACK to the university.

edit: nvm i was wrong about the number. oh well.

GERMANSAUSAGE
10-21-2014, 09:15 PM
Mind blown that college sports even exist.

Free pass at academic institute due to sporting prowess, uwotm8 ?

HumptyBrah
10-21-2014, 09:20 PM
Oh look. Fat fuk hating on D1 athletes.
I'm certainly "hating on D1 athletes" by specifying PUBLIC universities, amirite? Because there are no private D1 universities, amirite? Because there are no public universities at any other level of competition, amirite?

Today I learned that all D1 universities are public, and everything below D1 is private.

Workout4ever
10-21-2014, 09:37 PM
so you mean good genetics play a factor in living a better, easier life?

wow op you're a genius

DeshaunWatson
10-21-2014, 09:53 PM
I would love to see Jamal take Calc 3 for his business major.

If I have to, he should too.

JewishSuperHero
10-21-2014, 10:02 PM
public universities are not for-profit businesses

the.more.you.know.jpg

Technically they're not. But come on, man.....

FeFocus
10-21-2014, 10:11 PM

The root problem is Universities are for profit. Tuition shouldn't be out of reach for anyone in the first place.

Another thing to consider is other countries have sport development programs (clubs) for athletes outside of Universities. In the US the Universities are the development programs. The athletic departments are literally a college of sports. Sports help drive the economy.

2445ricardo
10-21-2014, 10:27 PM

If I have to, he should too.

lol Calc 3 is arguably the easiest of the 3....

Swept
10-21-2014, 10:31 PM
LMAO most college kids have mommy and daddy paying for them anyways.

james21561
10-21-2014, 11:10 PM

If I have to, he should too.Who the fuk takes Calc 3 as a business major srs

toekneele
10-21-2014, 11:11 PM
The quality of college sports and pros in general would suffer. Of course there would be some exceptions, but college athletes make their sport their whole entire life. School stays on the back burner. If they have hard GPA's to meet, that would be less time to dedicate to the craft and the talent and skill levels would suffer.

DeshaunWatson
10-21-2014, 11:13 PM
Who the fuk takes Calc 3 as a business major srs

required.

lol Calc 3 is arguably the easiest of the 3....

we're aware, but you have to take 1&2 to get to 3.

Think you missed the point.