PDA

View Full Version : Tony Romo is having a career season 7 weeks into 2014.

ZidaneValor
10-20-2014, 11:24 AM
I hate to make this thread, but something has been annoying me this season and I have to address it.

Dallas is having a great season. Both Murray and the O-Line have been beasts and the defense is practically league-average after fears that it would be historically bad.

But the one thing I keep hearing that bothers me is that "the Cowboys are winning because they're taking the ball out of Tony Romo's hands."

No, they're not. Murray has been a total beast and is in the MVP discussion. , but Romo has also played very well this season through 7 games, and has percentages that would be career marks.

2014 stats (7 games): 148-for-214 (69.2%), 1789 yards, 14 TDs, 6 INTs

2014 Passer Rating: 104.7 (Previous Career High 102.5 in 2011-12)
2014 ESPN Total QBR: 84.95 (Previous Career High 71.21 in 2007-08)
2014 Completion Percentage: 69.2% (65.6% in 2012-13; 69.5% in 2010-11 before breaking collarbone in Game #6)

Heck, take away the 49ers loss, in which Romo clearly didn't look healthy enough to play yet, and his stats are even better:

6 Game Winning Streak: 125-for-177 (70.6%), 1508 yards, 13 TDs, 3 INTs (113.85 passer rating)

Obviously, Romo isn't as good as Peyton Manning, or Rodgers, or Luck. But Romo has played pretty damn well this year so far.

And yes, I know "December is Coming".

5x10
10-20-2014, 11:32 AM
big part of the reason that they can convert 3rd downs at 57%
keeping him under 30 throws has been great, a whole lot less opps for errors

but im sure romo's success will be discredited while also getting blamed for any losses

TheBreadWinner
10-20-2014, 11:47 AM
I love it, finally Romo gets to show how capable he really is by being surrounded by good players... I've defended him for years when people would always place 100% of the blame on him for the teams failures

This is a scary Cowboys team with a bright future, and I hope with all my heart Romo can bring home a ring. He would finally ascend into that upper echelon in the public eye. People would finally see that this dude is a clear Hall of Famer. I love his story(undrafted out of east illinois) and all the adversity that he has faced and overcome.

Tex24
10-20-2014, 12:10 PM
My boy Romo is absolutely beasting. Should be in MVP talks for sure, especially if he keeps it up which I know he will

Cowboys too good, too many weapons, too many strengths

rocketfish
10-20-2014, 12:25 PM
so is trent richardson

but know ones talking about him

ShouldBeStudyin
10-20-2014, 12:48 PM
Lol gonna bump this a in few months when Romo throws a season-ending INT.

5x10
10-20-2014, 12:51 PM
Lol gonna bump this a in few months when Romo throws a season-ending INT.dan, romo isnt going to have to throw the ball

ShouldBeStudyin
10-20-2014, 12:56 PM
dan, romo isnt going to have to throw the ball

Do you Cowboy fans SERIOUSLY think Murray is going to last the whole season with the amount of touches he is getting? Romo will throw or fumble your season away like usual. Can't wait for the wizard quotes in a few months

MYOFIBRAH
10-20-2014, 12:57 PM
was gonna make this exact thread OP. everyone loves to jump on that phrase "take it out of Romo's" hands lol its just downright disrespectful.

when the Boys needed a dagger to finish off the Saints rally, it was Romo who found Dez in the end zone on 3rd down.

when Watt had a sure sack, it was Romo who spun out and bombed it to TD oops i meant TW for the touchdown. in that same game when they needed a big play to win in OT it was Romo who bombed it to Dez on 3rd down to win the game.

when the Boys were against the wall on 3rd and 20 late in the game against Seattle it was Romo who dodged two sacks and found TW for the play of the year sideline toe drag catch.

Sunday against the Giants it was Romo who hit Dez on third down multiple times to win and clinch the game.

the ball is still in Romo's hands. he's been on a rampage since he's been healthy.

MYOFIBRAH
10-20-2014, 01:02 PM
Do you Cowboy fans SERIOUSLY think Murray is going to last the whole season with the amount of touches he is getting? Romo will throw or fumble your season away like usual. Can't wait for the wizard quotes in a few months

go find yourself a fleshlight and channel your anger elsewhere phaggot. there is no need to be upset itt.

5x10
10-20-2014, 01:02 PM
Do you Cowboy fans SERIOUSLY think Murray is going to last the whole season with the amount of touches he is getting? Romo will throw or fumble your season away like usual. Can't wait for the wizard quotes in a few months yes, we do
we think this offense is sustainable, cowboys will continue to run the ball at 8 man fronts, romo will continue to pick apart single coverage, and theres nothing you can do about it dan

but go ahead an keep talking about years past

krogtaar
10-20-2014, 01:28 PM
if Romo never fumbled that PAT hold, or never played for the media circus cowboys he never would have gotten the rep as a choker and would be a consensus top 5. He puts up comparable stats to Manning, Brady, Brees, and Rodgers, he doesn't really choke more than they do, doesn't throw more game ending picks, etc. He just gets noticed for that stuff cause he has a reputation as a choker. Has been hurt by terrible line play and injuries, as well as terrible defenses keeping him from winning a lot.

went from UDFA to one of the best QBs of all time. there's a good chance he will retire 3rd in all time qb rating. (right behind Steve Young and Rivers)

sdballer5588
10-20-2014, 01:30 PM
I've been one of the few non dallas fan romo supporters. Dude is legit he just seems to have the worst luck.

Yeah I said luck. Some of this dudes INT's are just horribly unlucky, that if someone like Brees Brady Rodgers or Manning threw, they would be pardoned. Well maybe not Manning.

Creaso
10-20-2014, 07:18 PM
I've been one of the few non dallas fan romo supporters. Dude is legit he just seems to have the worst luck.

Yeah I said luck. Some of this dudes INT's are just horribly unlucky, that if someone like Brees Brady Rodgers or Manning threw, they would be pardoned. Well maybe not Manning.

Never thought I'd agree with you.

cor030
10-20-2014, 07:27 PM

I mean if people can sh*t all over Peyton for his postseason struggles (and don't get me wrong, he absolutely 1000% deserves it).. Just saying Romo's inconsistency and tendency throughout his career to flip a switch and go potato in crucial situations cannot be ignored.

That said I do like Romo. If you go back and look at his stats year after year he's so fukkin' underrated. He's been in that 2nd tier of QB's for a looooong time. He does have some bad luck but it can't all be put on that. The guy just makes some boneheaded throws at times, and unfortunately for him & Dallas fans; it's usually at the WORST possible time, lol.

BrawnySwoleman
10-20-2014, 07:42 PM

So you admit it.

Anyway though, even I think he gets too much hate. He's a very good (not "elite") QB who occasionally throws some boneheaded back foot interceptions. As cor030 said just above me, they always seem to come at the worst possible time. He just has so many of those moments that stick out in people's minds: the fumbled hold, the game-losing pick against the Broncos (and Packers) last year, single-handedly blowing a big lead to the Lions a few years ago, "Romo wasn't ready for the snap!" etc. But his stats stack up with almost anyone's and he's capable of making some spectacular plays. He's a gunslinger, and you have to take the good with the bad.

He reminds of a another QB who used to just have fun out there.

Creaso
10-20-2014, 10:26 PM
So you admit it.

Anyway though, even I think he gets too much hate. He's a very good (not "elite") QB who occasionally throws some boneheaded back foot interceptions. As cor030 said just above me, they always seem to come at the worst possible time. He just has so many of those moments that stick out in people's minds: the fumbled hold, the game-losing pick against the Broncos (and Packers) last year, single-handedly blowing a big lead to the Lions a few years ago, "Romo wasn't ready for the snap!" etc. But his stats stack up with almost anyone's and he's capable of making some spectacular plays. He's a gunslinger, and you have to take the good with the bad.

Starting qbs shouldn't hold the ball for field goals.

sdballer5588
10-20-2014, 10:28 PM
So you admit it.

Want to tell me with a straight face that the expectation and performance of Romo and Manning are the same?

Manning has 5x the expectation, and about 20x the failures. FFS, Mannings only superbowl run was probably the most embarrassing postseason he's had.

BrawnySwoleman
10-20-2014, 10:47 PM
Starting qbs shouldn't hold the ball for field goals.I always just assumed that since he had been the holder all year, the coaching staff decided they didn't want to make a change and throw anything off. If that was their reasoning, then it backfired.

Want to tell me with a straight face that the expectation and performance of Romo and Manning are the same?

Manning has 5x the expectation, and about 20x the failures. FFS, Mannings only superbowl run was probably the most embarrassing postseason he's had.Nowhere in my post did I say they were. But at least with Manning you're guaranteed to make the playoffs, the same can't be said for Romo (not discounting that football is a team sport).

MurkinSeason
10-20-2014, 10:55 PM
Everyone knows that botched hold was because they slicked up the ball. Bitch was shiny as hell. Duhhh

sdballer5588
10-20-2014, 10:59 PM
I always just assumed that since he had been the holder all year, the coaching staff decided they didn't want to make a change and throw anything off. If that was their reasoning, then it backfired.

Nowhere in my post did I say they were. But at least with Manning you're guaranteed to make the playoffs, the same can't be said for Romo (not discounting that football is a team sport).

Manning wouldn't be pardoned because he's expected to be better as he's one of the 5 best QBs ever who somehow manages to self destruct like clockwork int he playoffs.

Romo doesn't get pardoned because he dated Jessica Simpson.

ZidaneValor
12-21-2014, 05:47 PM
Let me just update this thread here.

2014 stats (15 games): 282-for-401 (70.3%) for 3406 yards (8.49 YPA), 32 TDs, 8 INTs (114.37 Passer Rating)

MurkinSeason
12-21-2014, 05:59 PM
Let me just update this thread here.

2014 stats (15 games): 282-for-401 (70.3%) for 3406 yards (8.49 YPA), 32 TDs, 8 INTs (114.37 Passer Rating)

Mvp type numbers.

steverogers07
12-21-2014, 06:02 PM
1 playoff win
0 rings

MurkinSeason
12-21-2014, 06:04 PM
1 playoff win
0 rings

He isn't talking about that though. You sure you're 27?

steverogers07
12-21-2014, 06:07 PM
Excuses as usual

MYOFIBRAH
12-21-2014, 06:33 PM
GOATny GOATmo da GAWD

Kumquatv1
12-22-2014, 09:35 AM

Are you a wizard?!?