PDA

View Full Version : No one will ever beat Peyton's td record

WOODPLOWX10
10-19-2014, 08:40 PM
This is the last of the elite qb. You guys are watching history that will never be witnessed again.

KBaller33
10-19-2014, 08:44 PM
People say that about records all the time. However this one is extremely difficult. It takes continued greatness and longetivity. The only guy playing right now that I think has a chance is Andrew Luck. He's entered the elite ranks this year and is going to stay there for the next decade at least barring injuries.

Hercegovac8
10-19-2014, 08:45 PM
Maybe Luck in 15 years

thsker
10-19-2014, 08:46 PM
Was just going to make a thread on this topic. I think it will be broken eventually, but I don't think the guy who is going to break it is in the league yet.

Realistically the only guy who may have a chance is Luck, but I just don't see it.

Better question is, is Peyton going to hit 600? How many more seasons does he have left in him.

FGCHENG
It's gonna stand for at least a century.

Andrew Luck will be great but he won't be Peyton ''GOAT'' Manning great.

Luck would have to throw for at least 34 TDs the next 13 seasons to get to 510, and who knows how many more TD Manning will throw for the rest of his career. He still looks as good as any QB in the league right now.

jbball92
Dandy Andy Luck

YWOC
10-19-2014, 08:47 PM
you guys are forgetting about Tebow

outfoxxed
10-19-2014, 08:47 PM
andrew luck takes way too many hits. he's got a good chance but he's got to rev up his game if he wants the longevity to do it

10-19-2014, 08:49 PM
It's gonna stand for at least a century.

I'm sure everyone was saying this about Dan Marino as well. Thing is that these records just don't last, plus if you look at trends you'd see that when Peyton/Brady came into the league, 30~ was league leading material and now that's not even close.

neighborr
10-19-2014, 08:50 PM
andrew luck takes way too many hits. he's got a good chance but he's got to rev up his game if he wants the longevity to do it

this. luck runs too much. takes too many hits. his body will wear down over time

FGCHENG
10-19-2014, 08:55 PM
I'm sure everyone was saying this about Dan Marino as well. Thing is that these records just don't last, plus if you look at trends you'd see that when Peyton/Brady came into the league, 30~ was league leading material and now that's not even close.

I know the league is quickly becoming a pass-first league, but look at the new generations of QB.. only Luck stands a hair of a chance to get to 500 tds when it's all said and done. Peyton Manning is a once a multi-generation QB. It just sucks that his post-season record sucks otherwise he'd be the MJ of football.

10-19-2014, 08:59 PM
I know the league is quickly becoming a pass-first league, but look at the new generations of QB.. only Luck stands a hair of a chance to get to 500 tds when it's all said and done. Peyton Manning is a once a multi-generation QB. It just sucks that his post-season record sucks otherwise he'd be the MJ of football.

The only difficult thing for current QBs to replicate is the longevity. IIRC Andy Dalton has nearly identical stats to Manning's first few years and we all know he's not much of a football mastermind. I agree that if anyone even comes close it'll be Luck, but it's not nearly as untouchable as you're making it out to be. IMO Rodgers could've been around that mark if he wasn't a backup for his first few years.

CCAurora
10-19-2014, 09:02 PM
I assumed it would keep getting broken every few years until they showed that graphic showing how no older QB's are anywhere close... Stafford could top the yardage mark, but anyone who wants to break either record pretty much needs to push 20 years of consistent top 5 play

smokeater
10-19-2014, 09:07 PM
Luck is certainly the only guy in the league at the moment who appears to have the ability to do it. However, as has been mentioned, longevity will be an issue due to his playing style.

Whoever breaks his record is probably somebody we haven't heard of yet.

MericaBrah
10-19-2014, 09:10 PM
If Manning wins the super bowl this year and ends up retiring. Brees Will have a slight chance at passing him if he plays till 39/40. Otherwise just about any of these young guys could have a chance if they play for 16+ years

TerellOwens
10-19-2014, 09:16 PM
inb4 nfl bans the running game

FGCHENG
10-19-2014, 09:18 PM
The only difficult thing for current QBs to replicate is the longevity. IIRC Andy Dalton has nearly identical stats to Manning's first few years and we all know he's not much of a football mastermind. I agree that if anyone even comes close it'll be Luck, but it's not nearly as untouchable as you're making it out to be. IMO Rodgers could've been around that mark if he wasn't a backup for his first few years.

I see what you're saying but we have to look at the current talent pool of quarterbacks we have in the league right now. It seems to me the new generations of QB.. Kaep, Wilson, RG3, Newton, etc.. are more a hybrid type where they look to run if they had the chance. They are nowhere near the levels of a Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, and Drew Brees in terms of throwing the football. Maybe if Brady or Brees was 24 years old, I'd give them a chance, but truth is... it's rare to find a QB like the top 4 QBs in the league today. It feels like they're a dying breed. I don't know.. something is just telling me that this record will stand for a really really long time, especially if Peyton plays for one or two more seasons.

HoganIsGOAT
10-19-2014, 09:23 PM
It will happen the next time a great quarterback plays on a team that's trying to buy a championship by stacking it, and calling 30+ pass plays a game, especially in goal line situations.

ToolTime2120
10-19-2014, 09:28 PM
Only one that has a chance is Andy Luck, but its a stretch

Honestly I think Rodgers ends up with 400 or 450. In 7 years he's thrown 205 and counting.

stevemckenna
10-19-2014, 09:33 PM
Let's not count out Bobby Griffin the turd out yet, guys. He's yet to hit his stride and is due to make a run.

SlipperyGypsy
10-19-2014, 09:36 PM
Not a huge NFL follower, can someone aware me on his record and why it makes undisputed GOAT?

Bulldognation99
10-19-2014, 09:39 PM
meh
nfl stats don't last anymore and they're boring as phuck to debate
mlb/nba stats have always been more interesting to debate
will anyone top wilt chamberlain's 100 pt game
will anyone beat barry bonds hr record
will anyone beat out cal ripkens record
will anyone break ted williams/joe dimaggio's records
etc, etc
that chit's exciting
it's the only thing those sports have over the nfl, imo

edit:
Joe DiMaggio holds the Major League Baseball record with a streak of 56 consecutive games in 1941.

5. The longest hitting streak since DiMaggio established the record was 44 games by the Reds' Pete Rose in 1978.

wsuwarrior
10-19-2014, 09:40 PM
That is what happens when you throw it on 1st and goal from the 1 when you are up 50 points your entire career.

10-19-2014, 09:53 PM
I see what you're saying but we have to look at the current talent pool of quarterbacks we have in the league right now. It seems to me the new generations of QB.. Kaep, Wilson, RG3, Newton, etc.. are more a hybrid type where they look to run if they had the chance. They are nowhere near the levels of a Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, and Drew Brees in terms of throwing the football. Maybe if Brady or Brees was 24 years old, I'd give them a chance, but truth is... it's rare to find a QB like the top 4 QBs in the league today. It feels like they're a dying breed. I don't know.. something is just telling me that this record will stand for a really really long time, especially if Peyton plays for one or two more seasons.

I completely agree with your point of the dying pocket passer breed. I'm just waiting for the next dominant pocket passer to come into the league. I much prefer watching a QB call audibles and thread the needle with perfect passes than QBs who make one read and then run.

Takes all the strategy and skill out of the position imo.

Austanian
10-19-2014, 09:58 PM
Not a huge NFL follower, can someone aware me on his record and why it makes undisputed GOAT?

Because he has the most TD's out of any qb ever and he isn't also the interception king like Farve was.

jbball92
10-19-2014, 10:05 PM
Not a huge NFL follower, can someone aware me on his record and why it makes undisputed GOAT? dont worry it doesnt lol

HoganIsGOAT
10-19-2014, 10:06 PM
...he isn't also the interception king like Farve was.

No, he just reserves those for the biggest games possible.

MericaBrah
10-19-2014, 10:16 PM
Because he has the most TD's out of any qb ever and he isn't also the interception king like Farve was.
He isn't that far off Favre avg 17.5 INT a season Peyton avg 14.5 INT a season

Lunatic
10-19-2014, 10:24 PM
What blows my mind is Peyton was drafted in '98 and he's at 510 TDs. Brady was drafted in 2000 and has 372 TDs. Brees is at 374 and was drafted in 2001. No one is catching Peyton any time soon. Rodgers would have the best chance, IMHO, but I don't think he'd get there. He's only at 200.

HumptyBrah
10-19-2014, 10:26 PM
What blows my mind is Peyton was drafted in '98 and he's at 510 TDs. Brady was drafted in 2000 and has 372 TDs. Brees is at 374 and was drafted in 2001. No one is catching Peyton any time soon. Rodgers would have the best chance, IMHO, but I don't think he'd get there. He's only at 200.
Brady and Brees each sat for a year, Rodgers sat for 3. Manning started from the day he was drafted.

FGCHENG
10-19-2014, 10:32 PM
Brady and Brees each sat for a year, Rodgers sat for 3. Manning started from the day he was drafted.

Manning also sat out for a year with the neck surgery.

HumptyBrah
10-19-2014, 10:33 PM
Manning also sat out for a year with the neck surgery.
Brady missed a year too.

Berries1
10-19-2014, 10:35 PM
That is what happens when you throw it on 1st and goal from the 1 when you are up 50 points your entire career.

NFL is the only sport where people pay out players and teams for trying to win by as much as possible.

Phil9
10-19-2014, 10:35 PM
Manning may have another 3-4 seasons left in him too. Wouldn't surprise me if he made it to 625, barring another devastating injury.

Lunatic
10-19-2014, 10:36 PM
Brady and Brees each sat for a year, Rodgers sat for 3. Manning started from the day he was drafted.Still mind blowing. Joe Montana and Steve Young have less TDs combined than Manning has individually. Mind = blown.

Austanian
10-19-2014, 10:36 PM

Yep. I am not a Pey pey fan at all so I don't really care. However, his is the undisputed REGULAR SEASON goat. lol

Lunatic
10-19-2014, 10:38 PM
He needs just over 5k more yards to pass Favre. Would be awesome to see Manning get that one.

HumptyBrah
10-19-2014, 10:43 PM
Still mind blowing. Joe Montana and Steve Young have less TDs combined than Manning has individually. Mind = blown.
On the surface, sure. But you can't really compare the eras Montana and Manning played in. Manning has thrown the ball a ton more than Montana ever did. And Young didn't become the starter in SF until he was like 31.

Lunatic
10-19-2014, 10:50 PM
On the surface, sure. But you can't really compare the eras Montana and Manning played in. Manning has thrown the ball a ton more than Montana ever did. And Young didn't become the starter in SF until he was like 31.I know. It' hard to compare a running league to a passing league(today). It's still cool, IMO, thinking about it. Manning might have 2x as many TDs as Joe ****ing Montana when it's all said and done.

HumptyBrah
10-19-2014, 10:51 PM
I know. It' hard to compare a running league to a passing league(today). It's still cool, IMO, thinking about it. Manning might have 2x as many TDs as Joe ****ing Montana when it's all said and done.
Yeah, it's pretty crazy. And Manning's had some good receivers but imagine if he had a prime Rice.

Lunatic
10-19-2014, 10:52 PM
Yeah, it's pretty crazy. And Manning's had some good receivers but imagine if he had a prime Rice.My brain just melted.

stevemckenna
10-19-2014, 11:31 PM

Manning sat out 1 year after his neck surgery. It's possible for either Brady or Brees to get up to 500 though. Manning was sitting on 399 before being a Bronco 2 1/2 years ago. Now, they would have to go on a ridiculous run to get to 500+ but it's still possible.

TyBaseball
10-19-2014, 11:45 PM
Yep. I am not a Pey pey fan at all so I don't really care. However, his is the undisputed REGULAR SEASON goat. lol

Manning has played well in the playoffs with denver. The two losses he's put up great numbers but the team screwed him over. Even in the Super Bowl he had the most completions in super bowl history and only 1 pick (might of been 2, I try not to think about that game)

Then the Ravens playoff loss came on a Joe Flacco Hail Mary where denver was leading all game and Ravens go on to win the super bowl.

Anyways Manning says he's going to keep playing after this season and he's been playing on a new level the past 2 and a half seasons. I see him getting to 600+

Swept
10-20-2014, 12:05 AM
Cam is 25 an has 101 TD already

But they way the panthers are going he's never gonna be healthy and they haven't surrounded him with talent

HumptyBrah
10-20-2014, 01:18 AM
Cam is 25 an has 101 TD already
o rly

http://www.nfl.com/player/camnewton/2495455/profile

72, 101, who's counting?

WOODPLOWX10
10-20-2014, 01:32 AM
o rly

72, 101, who's counting?

He probably counted cams rushing TD's

JJMacD
10-20-2014, 01:35 AM
Even though Brady won't get close to Mannings TD record, I still think he's arguably better. Look who they've been throwing to.

Peyton's had Marvin Harrison, Reggie Wayne, Dallas Clark, Demaryious Thomas, Julius Thomas, Marcus Pollard, Wes Welker, Eric Decker, Pierre Garcon, Jacob Tamme, Knowshon Moreno, Joseph Addai, Edgerrin James, Austin Collie and probably more I've forgotten about.

Brady's had Rob Gronkowski, Randy Moss (for a year and a bit), Wes Welker, Aaron Hernandez, Deion Branch and pretty much a bunch of JAGS. He's had one solid deep threat his entire career, Randy Moss, for one full season. And what a season that was.

No Manning hate, just my opinion.

HoganIsGOAT
10-20-2014, 05:38 AM
o rly

72, 101, who's counting?

He's counting rushing touchdowns like all of the Cam homers (for example he'll only have 200 yards passing but 50 yards rushing so they just say "250 total yards" to make it seem like he played QB better than he did) . Since Cam is so terrible at passing in the red zone, he often just steals the touches from his running backs and runs it in. For someone who is alleged (by Sports Misc Panthers fans) to be a 2nd tier QB in a passing league, I'm not impressed by 72 passing touchdowns in his career.

chlaxman
10-20-2014, 05:47 AM
It will get broken. Rodgers would probably be on pace if he didn't sit to start his career. Had Brees been in the right position to start his career he'd probably be on pace (especially because Payton would statpad to help him). Hell if the Pats had unleashed Brady on offense he'd probably be up there.

It just takes a great QB put into the right situation and to stay healthy and motivated.

iamgenus
10-20-2014, 05:57 AM
Gonna be tough to break for sure.

Longevity, easy competition most of his career and teams built around him with coaches who kept feeding him the ball to pile up stats.

smashedpotato
10-20-2014, 06:09 AM
It will happen the next time a great quarterback plays on a team that's trying to buy a championship by stacking it, and calling 30+ pass plays a game, especially in goal line situations.

Much this,the record will be broken again. And its peyton mannings system he designed specificly for himself to put up huge numbers. He is denvers offence,hes pretty much the OC,reciever coach,game planner,play caller etc.

waytoodeep03
10-20-2014, 06:35 AM
Manning breaking all these records but only has 1 Superbowl.

Manning still undisputed GOAT Regular season QB. Why is he so bad in the playoffs? What happens to him that transforms him into Jamarcus Russell in the playoffs?

Jedi34
10-20-2014, 08:01 AM
In b4 the NFL changes 100 yards to 100 feet to accomodate to the global audience.

Iczer
10-20-2014, 08:28 AM
Didn't read whole thread, but I don't think it's unbreakable. With the pussification of the league and how much QB's are protected now, I think it can be done. Although the recent crop of QB's leads me to believe it'll be a while before so... Maybe Luck?

rocketfish
10-20-2014, 08:47 AM

hardcore charger fan here

brees was also benched for doug flutie cause he was blowin dick for like 3 years

dupaloop3611
10-20-2014, 08:48 AM
Manning breaking all these records but only has 1 Superbowl.

Manning still undisputed GOAT Regular season QB. Why is he so bad in the playoffs? What happens to him that transforms him into Jamarcus Russell in the playoffs?

this

Phobaphobia
10-20-2014, 08:53 AM

Yup

TAWS6
10-20-2014, 02:12 PM
Peyton is in complete beast mode right now. Getting ready for another 50+ TD season.

MrStrange
10-20-2014, 03:23 PM

michael jordan .gif