PDA

View Full Version : Retention of water

ifguy12
10-14-2014, 08:11 PM
Why is it that sometimes when a person has a cheat day (e.g. 7000 calories) he does not retain water despite eating a lot of carbohydrates? Does retention of water depend on whether or not you are glycogen depleted?

determined4000
10-14-2014, 08:16 PM
who ate 7k and didnt retain any

magician27
10-14-2014, 08:17 PM
dont know who is that person, eating 7000 calories you will retain all kinds of crap which is not limited to water.

ifguy12
10-14-2014, 08:20 PM
dont know who is that person, eating 7000 calories you will retain all kinds of crap which is not limited to water.

It's me. Could nutrient partitioning have something to do with it? I know that HIIT makes you more carb sensitive.

magician27
10-14-2014, 08:23 PM
It's me. Could nutrient partitioning have something to do with it? I know that HIIT makes you more carb sensitive.

you can be carb sensitive , that doesnt mean carbs will just evaporate , they will get stored somewhere. and you can only store water if you actually drink it . so you are saying after eating 7000 cals your weight is staying exactly same ?

ifguy12
10-14-2014, 08:30 PM
you can be carb sensitive , that doesnt mean carbs will just evaporate , they will get stored somewhere. and you can only store water if you actually drink it . so you are saying after eating 7000 cals your weight is staying exactly same ?

I gained about a pound and excreted it via urine and feces. Also I am not thirsty at all. Note that this was the first meal I had after doing a 50 hour fast. My metabolic rate probably increased due to the fast.

AFC96
10-14-2014, 08:33 PM
I gained about a pound and excreted it via urine and feces. Also I am not thirsty at all. Note that this was the first meal I had after doing a 50 hour fast. My metabolic rate probably increased due to the fast.

Not sure whether you are serious on that 50 hour fast..

ifguy12
10-14-2014, 08:37 PM
Not sure whether you are serious on that 50 hour fast..

I am serious. I had my last meal on Sunday at 5 PM EST and broke the fast at 7 PM EST today. I'm thinking that since my glycogen stores were probably depleted in combination with the HIIT, that is why I did not really retain any water. However, I know that I was not in ketosis. This takes about 72 hours for a pure water fast assuming that my glycogen stores were already full before the fast.

reckless101
10-14-2014, 08:45 PM
70 hour fast? were you sick or something-? or plain dumb.

why would you deprive your body of nutrients?

ifguy12
10-14-2014, 08:49 PM
70 hour fast? were you sick or something-? or plain dumb.

why would you deprive your body of nutrients?

Once in a while it is good to fast. I am not depriving my body of nutrients. I track my macros and micros. All I am doing is calorie cycling. Plus it is one of the quickest ways to get into nutritional ketosis. Fasting combined with HIIT is a form of hormesis. See this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hormesis

AFC96
10-14-2014, 08:50 PM
I wanted to post a sarcastic remark such as "try doing 100hours of fast".. but you are a special kind of person and im afraid you will actually do the 100 hours of fast and die..

i dont want police coming to my house.

ifguy12
10-14-2014, 08:53 PM
I wanted to post a sarcastic remark such as "try doing 100hours of fast".. but you are a special kind of person and im afraid you will actually do the 100 hours of fast and die..

i dont want police coming to my house.

A 100 hour fast is no problem at all. That is basically 4.5 days. Do you really think that we as a species would have survived if we could not go more than a few days without food? Now I agree that doing 2 week long water fasts could be dangerous and that is why many people go to fasting retreats. But believe me, once you have been doing intermittent fasting for a while, even 100 hour fasts are easy.

Think about it this way: If you usually eat one meal a day, than a 4.5 day fast is really just skipping 4 meals. That is equivalent to skipping breakfast, lunch, dinner and breakfast the next day relatively speaking.

magician27
10-14-2014, 09:21 PM

seems you are watching too much lowcarbcory lol . your metabolic rate wouldnt increase , it would decrease on a period of hunger. like i said you gotta drink that water to be able to store it . usually all that high carb high sodium meals make you extremely thirsty. 7000 calorie worth food , just by its volume would weigh more than 1lb dude . you are either overestimating your caloric intake or you dont know your weight before you started eating that food. over a 50 hour fast you should have lost a lot of glycogen already.

ifguy12
10-14-2014, 09:35 PM
seems you are watching too much lowcarbcory lol . your metabolic rate wouldnt increase , it would decrease on a period of hunger. like i said you gotta drink that water to be able to store it . usually all that high carb high sodium meals make you extremely thirsty. 7000 calorie worth food , just by its volume would weigh more than 1lb dude . you are either overestimating your caloric intake or you dont know your weight before you started eating that food. over a 50 hour fast you should have lost a lot of glycogen already.

Please look at this study:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10837292

Short term fasting does indeed increase metabolic rate.

magician27
10-14-2014, 09:42 PM
hmm it really doesnt make sense actually why body increase metabolic rate first then later decrease it . first time hearing about the study. its kinda old though

ifguy12
10-14-2014, 09:52 PM
hmm it really doesnt make sense actually why body increase metabolic rate first then later decrease it . first time hearing about the study. its kinda old though

It makes sense because it is evolutionary advantageous. During periods of short term fasting people had to be mentally quick and sharp to find their food. This is why metabolic rate increases in the short term. However after a period of time without food why would a person need to have an increased metabolic rate? This is when metabolic rate slows down although the initial drop is about 10%.

Mncdk
10-14-2014, 10:15 PM
Doesn't this guy's name stick out in anybody's heads yet?

*COUGH POST HISTORY COUGH*

Seriously man, get help already.

magician27
10-14-2014, 10:25 PM
Doesn't this guy's name stick out in anybody's heads yet?

*COUGH POST HISTORY COUGH*

Seriously man, get help already.

kinda does, it was writing banned where it writes registered user now :D