PDA

View Full Version : Any experience with the Perfect Health Diet ?

dgnation
10-13-2014, 10:20 AM
Just bought the book, because it plays right into my way of thinking, but I wanted to see if anyone has experience with this. Looks similar to paleo, but covers some items where paleo falls short.

I did a search, but couldn't find anything on it here.

I am sold on the scientific method the authors used, but if it doesn't work in the GYM, there is nothing perfect about it.

I have to say they have lost me out of the gate by talking smack on peanut butter.

Anyone with personal experience with "the perfect health diet" please share.

AdamWW
10-13-2014, 10:22 AM
Just bought the book, because it plays right into my way of thinking, but I wanted to see if anyone has experience with this. Looks similar to paleo, but covers some items where paleo falls short.

I did a search, but couldn't find anything on it here.

I am sold on the scientific method the authors used, but if it doesn't work in the GYM, there is nothing perfect about it.

I have to say they have lost me out of the gate by talking smack on peanut butter.

Anyone with personal experience with "the perfect health diet" please share.

Why did you spend money to learn about nutrition from a book?

Jcart159
10-13-2014, 10:41 AM
Why did you spend money to learn about nutrition from a book?

Because he said this:

Just bought the book, because it plays right into my way of thinking

OP, this is just another fad diet. Will provide no magical benefits, just like Paleo, although the arbitrary restriction of certain foods may actually harm you.

Paleo and the like treat peanut butter like it was made by the devil because peanuts technically are not nuts, they are legumes. All because its a legume... for no other reason... let that sit in for a little.

TheLongRun
10-13-2014, 11:01 AM
Take anything they claim with a grain (oh no, not a grain!) of salt. First carbs were the devil, and now since so many people who excluded carbs felt horrible and reintroduced them and felt better, there's "safe starches" now that are okay to eat. Yeah I did that whole paleo stuff a few years back. It's all just bullchit.

In 5 years, I'm willing to bet legumes and/or wheat will go from "toxic" to "nutritious".

Bottom line: eat the foods you enjoy that make you feel best personally. Experiment. No book can or should tell you what to eat.

JerryB
10-13-2014, 12:21 PM
There is no such thing as a perfect diet.

desslok
10-13-2014, 03:51 PM
If a diet has some gimmicky name and you have to buy a book to learn about it, its basically a bulking diet for the author's wallet.

RedSox1990
10-13-2014, 04:03 PM
"The scientific methods the authors used"

Every author of every diet book thinks his diet is backed in some way by science. Truth is that 100% of them are wrong because as someone else said there is no such thing as perfect.

dgnation
12-27-2014, 11:37 PM
Thanks for the responses. I can say I can tell a difference in bloat, almost like an on/off switch with the wheat. I was and still am taking plenty of carbs from fruits, potatoes etc.

I have already felt first hand some negative side effects of this diet, especially bottoming out while lifting. I could tell during one workout I was pushing it a little hard, as my hearing was odd. The muted hearing had happened before, and was never a concern. I finished ok, sat for a few and realized I better get help. I blacked out off and on for a half hour after my workout (leg day). I don't have any blood sugar issues, but I am pretty sure 2 pieces of candy corn that one of the people helping fed me are the only reason I wasn't down for the count. I had eaten an apple, a banana, and almond butter an hour before the workout. The hospital bill , ekg, blood work etc was ~$800 with insurance to be told I just pushed too hard. ( same workout or less than pre-diet change)

Note, I do not hold my breathe while lifting, I believe it was low blood sugar incident. Using energy faster than my body could produce it.

Since that workout, I pay attention closely to the hearing cue, and I take a longer break until my heart isn't coming out of my chest. Supersets may not be the best idea for leg day.

I think there is a balance I have to find here. LongRun & JCart, I appreciate your sharing of your Paleo experiences. These are good points and I am not clear on what all the legume bashing is about from PHD & Paleo. I don't feel any affect from them like I do the wheat. I could definitely appreciate putting peanut butter back in my diet.

Ktraybae
12-28-2014, 02:56 AM
Excluding certain food groups or foods because some random person tells you to seems a but ridiculous.

AFC96
12-28-2014, 03:12 AM
Excluding certain food groups or foods because some random person tells you to seems a but ridiculous.

Sounds alot like EDC Brah.. Srs.