PDA

View Full Version : Bulking while training 2x a week?

EGamComp
10-12-2014, 03:32 PM
So I rotate between lifting 3x one week and 2x the other week. Wish I could do more, but I can't at this time. So...

M | T | W | T | F | S | S

X | * | X | * | X | * | *
* | X | * | X | * | * | *

X's are on days, *'s are off days

As you can see, there 4 rest days between Friday and Tuesday, and 4 rest days between Thursday and Monday.

I usually bulk at 20% surplus (I weigh 140lb). However, I don't want unnecessary fat gains on those 4 rest days every week.

Should I continue bulking at 20% EVERY day? Or only bulk 10% when I have a 4-day-rest? Or keep Maintanance calories those 4 days?

AFC96
10-12-2014, 03:37 PM
Eat the same amount everyday. See the changes on the scale in a month. Adjust from there.

EGamComp
10-12-2014, 03:40 PM
Eat the same amount everyday. See the changes on the scale in a month. Adjust from there.

But eating caloric surplus without lifting leads to pure fat gains.

So even thought the scale will say I gained the same amount, on those 4 rest days as I did on 4 workout days, it'll be fat instead of muscle.

xxjohnnybravoxx
10-12-2014, 03:55 PM
Just decrease the calories. To be honest even if you went over 1 calorie over your maintenance you're still gaining "weight" so if your scared of getting fat due to not working out often than go on a 100 calorie bulk and see how you are. A lot of people train 3 days a week anyways

Gxp23
10-12-2014, 04:44 PM
But eating caloric surplus without lifting leads to pure fat gains.

So even thought the scale will say I gained the same amount, on those 4 rest days as I did on 4 workout days, it'll be fat instead of muscle.
No it wont. Rest days are when the body repairs and recovers, an overall surplus will lead to muscle gain and fat gain regardless, you cant avoid it.

EGamComp
10-12-2014, 05:27 PM
No it wont. Rest days are when the body repairs and recovers, an overall surplus will lead to muscle gain and fat gain regardless, you cant avoid it.

Right. But that's the case for 1 or 2 rest days, not 4 rest days.

Lifting twice a week is pretty rare I'd say

Gxp23
10-12-2014, 05:30 PM
Right. But that's the case for 1 or 2 rest days, not 4 rest days.

Lifting twice a week is pretty rare I'd say

Do a full body 2-3 times a week then.

Mrpb
10-12-2014, 10:05 PM
It makes no sense to base your surplus on a percentage. Instead aim for 2-3 pounds weight gain per month.

And I agree, eating higher calories on workout days than on rest days can help minimise fat gains.

Lyle McDonald:
Id suggest putting a majority of that on training days (and around training) with a lesser surplus on non-training days. That should help keep fat gains down somewhat.
http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain-mistakes/