PDA

View Full Version : Pre Workout Nutrition

LDZ42487
10-12-2014, 12:58 PM
Ok, we all know that pre and post workout nutrition can arguably be the most important "meals" of the day. Ive read/been told that specific kinds of carbs are curtail at these times as well. Pre workout carbs consisting of slow burning/long lasting carb source for energy and post workout carbs consisting of a burst of dextrose dense carbs such as a gatorade or carb supp. Now my question to whoever can wrap their brains around this theory is specifics on what to intake pre workout for carbs. Usually an orange or an apple has been my go to but I am wondering if drinking a big glass of orange juice would do the same thing as eating an orange. I know I would be missing the fiber portion of an actual orange but is that necessary for pre workout nutrition. Any light shed on this topic would be awesome, thanks for the help guys.

Gxp23
10-12-2014, 01:00 PM
Everyones different, just do what works for you man, many people dont eat before or after their workout because they literally dont need to. Trial and error, see what gives you the best performance.

InItForFitness
10-12-2014, 01:09 PM
Outside of the context of your overall daily dietary intake, your pre-/post- workout meals in their individuality are largely irrelevant in regards to body composition results.

Assuming your overall dietary intake is the same, the difference between 10 grams of carbs and 30 grams of carbs prior to training is not going to make a difference, same can be said for both other macronutrients, as well as the post workout meal.

Focus on the aspects that matter (ie : overall daily dietary intake) and do what works best for you as an individual when it comes to your pre-/post- workout nutrition.

JerryB
10-12-2014, 04:33 PM
If you are meeting your macro nutrients through the day, the need for pre-workout and post workout nutrition is not critical.

The following is a review of the studies:

http://www.biomedcentral.com/content/pdf/1550-2783-10-5.pdf

krybolt
10-12-2014, 06:54 PM
Ok, we all know that pre and post workout nutrition can arguably be the most important "meals" of the day. Ive read/been told that specific kinds of carbs are curtail at these times as well. Pre workout carbs consisting of slow burning/long lasting carb source for energy and post workout carbs consisting of a burst of dextrose dense carbs such as a gatorade or carb supp. Now my question to whoever can wrap their brains around this theory is specifics on what to intake pre workout for carbs. Usually an orange or an apple has been my go to but I am wondering if drinking a big glass of orange juice would do the same thing as eating an orange. I know I would be missing the fiber portion of an actual orange but is that necessary for pre workout nutrition. Any light shed on this topic would be awesome, thanks for the help guys.

Any carbs that don't disrupt your GI tract is fine. Usually the type of carbs depend on how soon you are going to workout. If your meal is 3 hours before.. eat some whole grain carbs. If 30 minutes before, drink a sports drink. At the end of the day, if your calories are met then it won't really matter. Energy wise throughout your workout... just get some type of carbs.