PDA

View Full Version : Sleepy all the time while Bulking

floridagirl7
10-06-2014, 07:22 PM
I've been bulking for about 2 months now and gained about 3 pounds. Im eating 2200 cal, which is 500 above my maintaince.

Lately, I've been feeling very sleepy, especially after meals. I'm not super active besides a 1 hour workout 3 days a week. Other than that just walking to classes, sitting at library/class, and cooking/eating.

Im wondering if this feeling of tiredness all the time is due to the sheer amount of calories im consuming(takes alot of energy for body to digest) , or if its my carb intake. I've considered lowering carb intake and upping fat to see if this while make any difference?
Im currently at 270c 150p 60f

does anyone else feel tired/sleepy when bulking?

desslok
10-06-2014, 07:39 PM
Personally i mainly get sleepy after big meals. Or if i have a lot of simple carbs and come down off a sugar high later.

floridagirl7
10-06-2014, 07:50 PM
Personally i mainly get sleepy after big meals. Or if i have a lot of simple carbs and come down off a sugar high later.

almost all of my carbs are complex (oats, whole wheat bread/pasta, brown rice, beans, sweet potato, etc) so Im guessing that cant be why.
Also, My sugar intake is usually no more than 50g a day, with at least 30-40 from natural sources (milk,fruit, greek yogurt, etc).

Could it just be the amount of carbs?

Also, I've thought about this it might be totally wrong but just a thought...could complex carbs make me sleepy due to the fiber content and the fact that they are harder to digest?

AFC96
10-06-2014, 07:52 PM
Sleepy after a big meal.

floridagirl7
10-06-2014, 07:56 PM
Sleepy after a big meal.

I try to spread my meals throughout the day so I never have to have a huuuuge meal. 600cal is my biggest meal (70c)

Mrpb
10-06-2014, 09:27 PM
Could it just be the amount of carbs?

Totally.

Large amounts of carbs make me sleepy too. I bulk on higher fat.

Explained here: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/macronutrient-intake-for-mass-gains-qa.html/

floridagirl7
10-07-2014, 09:04 AM
Totally.

Large amounts of carbs make me sleepy too. I bulk on higher fat.

Explained here: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/macronutrient-intake-for-mass-gains-qa.html/

What would be considered "high carb"?
How many carbs would you all consider in a "carb heavy" meal?

Mrpb
10-07-2014, 09:15 AM
What would be considered "high carb"?

Depends.

This for example I consider high carb/low fat:

Im currently at 270c 150p 60f

floridagirl7
10-07-2014, 09:29 AM
Depends.

This for example I consider high carb/low fat:

by how much would you recommend lowering carbs ( replacing with fat) to consider it not "high carb"?

BMC171
10-07-2014, 09:34 AM
i would drop 30 grams of carbs and up fats by 14-15g. see how you get on you don't want to drop too drastically at first, just see how your body reacts. For you, if eating carbs during the day makes you real tired you can always adjust your carbs (as mrpb has told me its personal preference) so you could do carb backloading where you eat all your carbs after your workout thats if you workout in the evening (this is traditional carb backloading but morning shouldn't matter i guess). or you could just have them before and after workout or in the morning and after workout if you workout at night. up to you.

floridagirl7
10-07-2014, 09:39 AM
i would drop 30 grams of carbs and up fats by 14-15g. see how you get on you don't want to drop too drastically at first, just see how your body reacts. For you, if eating carbs during the day makes you real tired you can always adjust your carbs (as mrpb has told me its personal preference) so you could do carb backloading where you eat all your carbs after your workout thats if you workout in the evening (this is traditional carb backloading but morning shouldn't matter i guess). or you could just have them before and after workout or in the morning and after workout if you workout at night. up to you.

I typically space them out throughout the day.
50g Breakfast
(workout)
20g PWO
60g Lunch
20g Snack
70g Dinner
40g Before bed

If I ate carbs only before/after workout, I would have to comsume around 120g before and 120g after. That seems like an insane amount for one meal

Mrpb
10-07-2014, 09:46 AM
by how much would you recommend lowering carbs ( replacing with fat) to consider it not "high carb"?

For your stats I would eat at least 100 gram carbs. The rest you can fill up with fat. Also see this article: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/macronutrient-intake-for-mass-gains-qa.html/

Feeling sleepy after carbs can also be solved by choosing different carbs and by adding more fibre and fat to the meal.

For example white rice is very high on GI, GL and II, while white pasta is relatively low.

floridagirl7
10-07-2014, 09:50 AM
For your stats I would eat at least 100 gram carbs. The rest you can fill up with fat. Also see this article: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/macronutrient-intake-for-mass-gains-qa.html/

Feeling sleepy after carbs can also be solved by choosing different carbs and by adding more fibre and fat to the meal.

For example white rice is very high on GI, GL and II, while white pasta is relatively low.

Yeah there no way I could possibly meet my cals for bulking going under 200g carb, let alone 100g.

And yes, My meals all have fiber ( Daily intake around 45g) and a god amount of fat. I eat complex carbs.

That's why Im confused as to why I would feel sleepy

Mrpb
10-07-2014, 09:54 AM
Yeah there no way I could possibly meet my cals for bulking going under 200g carb, let alone 100g.

Of course you can, just eat more fat.

I eat complex carbs.

That's irrelevant. White pasta is less insulogenic than brown rice for example.

That's why Im confused as to why I would feel sleepy

Probably a reaction to high insulin levels. A lot of people have this problem, especially while bulking.