PDA

View Full Version : First True Bulk: Insight Please!!!

jastinmac
09-30-2014, 07:55 PM
I'm trying to add some mass (bulking) and I am asking for opinions on my calorie intake is. I'm 6'2 182 lbs, about 12% bodyfat, and I hit the gym pretty hard 6 days a week. I stopped doing distance running (unless it's morning pt, which I can't really plan for) except on Sundays in order to help create a larger calorie surplus. I'm taking in about 3800-4000 lean calories daily. 50% coming from protein, 25% from carbs and 25% from fats. Due to training schedules I know I won't always be able to stick to my plan, but I try and stay on course as much as possible. I'm fairly experienced in fitness, just getting off a very successful cut (pics on my profile.) So ideally, I eat at the chow hall 3 times a day, plus a protein shake after my workout. I track all my food intake on my phone so if you have any specific questions about protein/carbs just please ask.

Breakfast: 4 eggs, 4 eggwhites, 2 cup of cottage cheese, oatmeal to fill rest of about 1300cal breakfast
Lunch: Lean meats (mainly chicken breast) and steamed/fresh vegetables only. About 1200cal
After Workout: 500cal shake
Dinner: Same as lunch, about 1000cal

How am I doing?

magician27
09-30-2014, 07:59 PM
omg , are you really eating 400-500 grams protein... tell me thats a joke. (1900-2000 cals ) .. eat at least 400 grams of carbs , otherwise dont say you are bulkin.

Anaerobics
09-30-2014, 08:03 PM
OP. Read.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=156380183

jastinmac
09-30-2014, 08:32 PM
omg , are you really eating 400-500 grams protein... tell me thats a joke. (1900-2000 cals ) .. eat at least 400 grams of carbs , otherwise dont say you are bulkin.

This is why I'm asking. OK so what would be the drawback to getting that much protein calories? Yes, I understand probably half of it is redundant, not being able to be absorbed, but the calorie surplus is the important thing right? I thought I would rather take in the extra calories from lean meats than carbs because less fat would be added along with the muscle gain (hopefully.) And I have access to unlimited free meat. Whats my default? Serious inquiry.

magician27
09-30-2014, 08:35 PM
no... eating protein surplus doesnt mean you are gonna put less fat . surplus is surplus .it will lead to same fat gain. eat at least 50 % of your calories from carbs. if your surplus is not high you wont gain a lot of fat.. its about calories , not carbs. that much protein just too much stress on kidneys , and will drain all the calcium from your body. more protein doesnt mean more muscle gain / less fat gain , it only has little more thermic effect which can make maybe 100 cals difference

jastinmac
09-30-2014, 09:07 PM
no... eating protein surplus doesnt mean you are gonna put less fat . surplus is surplus .it will lead to same fat gain. eat at least 50 % of your calories from carbs. if your surplus is not high you wont gain a lot of fat.. its about calories , not carbs. that much protein just too much stress on kidneys , and will drain all the calcium from your body. more protein doesnt mean more muscle gain / less fat gain , it only has little more thermic effect which can make maybe 100 cals difference

Okay thanks, I didn't know about the kidney strain. I will definitely change it up tomorrow. Do you think my overall calorie intake is good? Will change the car to 50% and protein to 25% (250g)

magician27
09-30-2014, 09:09 PM
Okay thanks, I didn't know about the kidney strain. I will definitely change it up tomorrow. Do you think my overall calorie intake is good? Will change the car to 50% and protein to 25% (250g)

calories sound reasonable. you should stay lean with that