PDA

View Full Version : Can excess protein contribute to glycogen stores?

saw7988
09-29-2014, 07:48 AM
Pretty self-explanatory title IMO. I'm sort of thinking in the context of refeeds here. Generally, with an LBM of 160 and bodyweight somewhere in the 190s, I like to get between 160-200 grams of protein per day. I'm under the impression that excess protein is essentially converted to glucose for fuel. Is this correct? If so, will this standard protein intake be good on a refeed too, or would it be more optimal to reduce protein to say the 80-100 gram range in order to more fully maximize carb intake (and/or maybe keep calories lower while gaining the high carb/refeed benefits)?

magician27
09-29-2014, 07:55 AM
the pathway from protein to glycogen is too long , that conversion will take 3-4 days, if you arent having high carb day, then you arent refeeding. thats only way to restore your leptin and glycogen levels efficiently. on a refeed day, keep your fats around 25-30 grams , protein slightly below 1gr/lb then fill everything else with carbs until you reach your maintenance.i would say you should hit at least 400 grams of carbs

saw7988
09-29-2014, 08:09 AM
Ok, interesting about the 3-4 day time scale. Agree with most of your post.

So given the fact that protein seems to not play much of a role in the refeed, my original proposition was to drop protein way down for the day. I don't think there will be any noticeable detriments at all to having something like 80-100 grams for one day. Seems to me like this would absolutely be the way to go to either trade out for more carbs or just keep calories lower.

For example, a 2500 maintenance/refeed day:

(format is F / P / C = calories)
A: 20 / 180 / 400 = 2500
B: 20 / 80 / 500 = 2500
C: 20 / 80 / 400 = 2100

A would be the original/standard refeed, with my propositions being B or C.

cls91
09-29-2014, 09:42 AM
I'd go with option B.

Your lower end (160g) of your 'normal intake' is already above the higher end of what you need to be consuming. Basically you already are consuming more protein than is necessary, so dropping to 80g-100g for one day will not have any noticeable downsides. It's only about .42-.52g/lbs bodyweight, but at 5'7" and 190lbs, I think it's safe to assume that there is quite a high bf% and therefore that protein intake will be sufficient when considering your LBM.

Which also makes me curious what your bf% is with those stats...

saw7988
09-29-2014, 09:56 AM
I'd go with option B.

Your lower end (160g) of your 'normal intake' is already above the higher end of what you need to be consuming. Basically you already are consuming more protein than is necessary, so dropping to 80g-100g for one day will not have any noticeable downsides. It's only about .42-.52g/lbs bodyweight, but at 5'7" and 190lbs, I think it's safe to assume that there is quite a high bf% and therefore that protein intake will be sufficient when considering your LBM.

Which also makes me curious what your bf% is with those stats...

Thanks for the response man. Seems like you agree - low protein for one day is worth the carb benefits for the refeed. Regarding myself, I was really just thinking about it in a general way. I have no need for refeeds at the bodyfat % I'm at now.

You can do the math if you want since I said 160 LBM. But I don't even really have a great idea myself. I've figured 153-155 LBM when I was leaner, in the low 170s, and figured 160-165 after my recent bulk (eg fattening), weight varying between 194-200 now. I feel like I'm somewhere between 16-19% BF.