PDA

View Full Version : Qatar female bball squad pulls out of Asian Games for Hijab rules

AllFiredUp1
09-25-2014, 06:25 AM
Cliffs:

- No headgear, hair accessories or jewelry in FIBA rules
- They showed up, but forfeited the game and the competition

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/middleeast/2014/09/qatar-withdraws-from-asian-games-hijab-row-2014925103944356157.html

I feel like this is propaganda by Qatar. Obviously being the Asian games there are plenty of other Muslim players who have no qualm with the rules.

Where do you stand on it?

Personally I do not think the rule book of sports should consider religious doctrine, whatsoever.

dosneufer
09-25-2014, 06:33 AM
I am neutral.
I am curious about what they wearing in diving and swimming. :o

ODBM
09-25-2014, 06:42 AM
I find it strange that women who are permitted to compete in a sporting event are still required to wear the hijab. Surely there is some oppressive excerpt from the Qur'an which forbids women from such activities, no?

AllFiredUp1
09-25-2014, 06:44 AM
Big Ramy is a Muslim bodybuilder at the moment, and it's haram for him to be on stage in public in a g-string. Obviously he always mixes freely with women who are not accompanied by family. It's equally as bad as not wearing a hijab for women.

So I'm wondering if Muslims find that contradictory

Or is this simply yet another case of obeying the culturally desirable and ignoring the rest

seven11
09-25-2014, 07:40 AM
They entered a private competition with its own set of rules. So Qatar should've never joined if the were not willing to follow the rules set forth.