PDA

View Full Version : Macros for a teenager?

bec1298
09-22-2014, 10:21 PM
there's probably a million posts just like this but Im checking just to be sure (plus i cant find the 'best' macros for a teenager)

Im 64kg, 159cms, 16 years old, female (bmr is 1400calories). I do strength training 5 times a week (upper/ lower split) and crossfit (no **** pls) 4 times a week in the afternoon. I want to gain muscle but as little fat as possible so I was thinking a slight surplus with carb cycling? or is carb cycling only good for cutting?

rest day: 1630 cal (170p/ 50f/ 130c)
upper: 2000 cal (170p/ 50f/ 220c)
lower: 2250 cal (170p/ 50f/ 280c)

is this too a good amount or too much/ little? Ive been using these macros for just over a month now but my body weight has been all over the place because of thattimeofthemonth.

AFC96
09-22-2014, 11:44 PM
I dont know how to make it sound not ironic because im 18 but

"you should not be counting macros at your age, just eat in consideration and lift."

Mrpb
09-22-2014, 11:48 PM
No need for counting macros at your age, and even less need to cycle carbs (at any age).

seanfinn01
09-22-2014, 11:57 PM
No need for counting macros at your age, and even less need to cycle carbs (at any age).

This. BMR calculators aren't accurate for teenagers because you are still growing. Eat when hungry, be active and enjoy being a teenager =)

ErikTheElectric
09-23-2014, 12:33 AM
I dont know how to make it sound not ironic because im 18 but

"you should not be counting macros at your age, just eat in consideration and lift."Your statement has nothing to do with irony.

AFC96
09-23-2014, 12:35 AM
Your statement has nothing to do with irony.

last time i wrote that, people came saying "its ironic how you advise teen not to count macros and yet you are only 18"

ErikTheElectric
09-23-2014, 12:44 AM
last time i wrote that, people came saying "its ironic how you advise teen not to count macros and yet you are only 18"Once again, that has nothing to do with irony.

What is rather odd is that you give out this sort of advice. Yet you yourself are 18 years old, and are underweight.

bec1298
09-23-2014, 12:52 AM
Thanks :) I know counting them at 16 sounds dumb but I have to prep my food the night before because Im at school and work until 8 at night each day so theres no reason not to count them really. Do they look like theyre in the right range? :)

ErikTheElectric
09-23-2014, 12:54 AM
Thanks :) I know counting them at 16 sounds dumb but I have to prep my food the night before because Im at school and work until 8 at night each day so theres no reason not to count them really. Do they look like theyre in the right range? :)

So you pack a sandwich for school the night before, and automatically think that there's no reason to not track the amount of calories in it? wat?

bec1298
09-23-2014, 01:34 AM
I leave home at 5am and dont get home until 8pm so I have to pack every meal im going to eat that day besides dinner, goodluck trying to fit a days worth of food into a sandwhich. I find it easier to know how much i should pack rather than not packing enough/ too much. Not that it really matters?

ErikTheElectric
09-23-2014, 09:35 AM
I leave home at 5am and dont get home until 8pm so I have to pack every meal im going to eat that day besides dinner, goodluck trying to fit a days worth of food into a sandwhich. I find it easier to know how much i should pack rather than not packing enough/ too much. Not that it really matters?That doesn't mean you have to track everything you consume? I'm confused as to why you think you have to..

dest0
09-01-2015, 03:31 AM
Bec, the point is, you being a teenager and still growing; means that you should eat what your parents provide in moderation and shouldn't be concerned with counting calories till a much later stage.

PovertyLifter
09-01-2015, 03:39 AM
wait wat. I dont understand the reason behind the suggestions saying dont track macros? If she wants to track macros then thats fine, probably beneficial for her health compared to someone who has crappy macro ratios, just because she's a teenager doesnt mean her metabolism acts uniquely from an adult (inb4 youre 18). srsly tho, if she wants to track macros, only good things can come out of that.

you mentioned wanting to gain lean body mass, this is probably best achieved through a small caloric surplus, id say 500 calories surplus maximum if youre really concerned about gaining fat, gradually lowering it to 250 after time (gains will slow down gradually). dont worry about carb cycling. your macro ratios look fine, would probably bump up the fat slightly. calories are purely based on the individual, you have to find out your maintenance via trial and error by weighing yourself (probably best done in the morning after waking up/going to the toilet). also for the sake of simplicity, keep your macros and calories the same for everyday, weekly calories are more important than daily calories.

ironwill2008
09-01-2015, 05:40 AM
Teens, in light of their involvement with social media these days, and especially minor teens, are susceptible to disordered eating. Becoming overly concerned with details about their food intake is just one more issue that may well push them down an increasingly darker path.

This is a bodybuilding nutrition forum, and is not a proper venue for children to ask about what and/or how much they should be eating. That is an issue that they should discuss with their parents.

Mrpb
09-01-2015, 05:41 AM
wait wat. I dont understand the reason behind the suggestions saying dont track macros? If she wants to track macros then thats fine, probably beneficial for her health compared to someone who has crappy macro ratios, .

Whether it's beneficial to someone's psychological health is the big question.

For a 16 year old, I'd say not.