PDA

View Full Version : 10lbs of frozen chicken only yields 6lbs of cooked chicken?

Gains4dayzz
09-21-2014, 07:33 PM
I typically only buy thawed, refrigerated chicken and cook it that night or the next. I was at Costco, and ended up buying a 10lb bag of frozen chicken. I weighed it out beforehand, and got 3lbs. I let it thaw in the refrigerator overnight, and cooked it the next day. When I weighed it again, after cooking it, I got that it was only 1lb and 12oz. Does anyone else have this problem? Unless I accidentally put a huge piece back in the bag afterwords, and forgot about it, I don't see how it could possibly weigh that much. That is only 60% of the original weight. And the chicken was nice and juicy, not dry. Is this normal? Either way I think I'm going to switch back to thawed chicken, I paid for 10lbs of chicken.

AFC96
09-21-2014, 07:37 PM
Water weight.

Dont people know how to use google or search.

Gains4dayzz
09-21-2014, 07:39 PM
Water weight.

Dont people know how to use google or search.

1.) That was my question. It seemed like 40% water-weight is a little bit too much.

2.) Please try to do a Google Search that answers my question.

Don't people know that this isn't a place for uneducated, very small, not aesthetic at all, trolls?

AFC96
09-21-2014, 07:50 PM
Supermarket poultry

Added water: Up to 37 per cent. The EC limit for added water in a frozen, whole chicken is seven per cent, but nearly a third of samples contained more than that in an FSA survey. Chicken breast and thigh portions contained water levels from two to 37 per cent, with frozen portions being the worst offenders. In more than 10 per cent of the breast-and-thigh samples, the added water was not listed anywhere on the packaging.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-150904/How-water-really-food.html

Googled it. got your answer.

it seems that you cant even use google.

cumminslifter
09-21-2014, 08:08 PM
well that was quick

Gains4dayzz
09-21-2014, 08:13 PM
Googled it. got your answer.

it seems that you cant even use google.

1.) EC limit means nothing to me.

2.) The article does little for me. My question was if this was normal (does everyone else get these same results). On top of that, not all the water-weight could have disappeared, which means there is still a large unaccounted weight loss.

3.) Instead of being a troll initially, give people the answer. An answer that actually is relevant to the question. On top of that, for your Google search/article, you would need to assume that it was primarily water weight that accounted for the weight loss. Not everyone would assume that, so it would be very difficult to find.

MetilHed
09-21-2014, 08:15 PM
2.) Please try to do a Google Search that answers my question.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=does+chicken+lose+weight+when+cooked

You're right, impossible question for Google to answer. Only ~845,000 results. The first bunch being many threads from this very forum.

But hey, you paid for 10 lbs of chicken, not 6. You better go get the chicken that doesn't lose water weight when being cooked. Good job on spotting the scam, bro ! ****in' Costco.

cumminslifter
09-21-2014, 08:17 PM
1.) EC limit means nothing to me.

2.) The article does little for me. My question was if this was normal (does everyone else get these same results). On top of that, not all the water-weight could have disappeared, which means there is still a large unaccounted weight loss.

3.) Instead of being a troll initially, give people the answer. An answer that actually is relevant to the question. On top of that, for your Google search/article, you would need to assume that it was primarily water weight that accounted for the weight loss. Not everyone would assume that, so it would be very difficult to find.

Maybe, instead of trolling on BB forums, you could actually work on your body. You're a little manlet who can only squat 180lbs, and your body looks like s**t. Bad troll. No.dont worry AFC i got him for you

Gains4dayzz
09-21-2014, 08:22 PM
Let's get this clear. I know chicken loses weight when cooked. But for it to be almost 40% of the initial weight is extreme to me. I wasn't asking if it is normal for chicken to lose weight, but why my chicken lost SO MUCH weight.

Gains4dayzz
09-21-2014, 08:30 PM
dont worry AFC i got him for you

Ohh no. Reporting me because I don't let trolls rule forums, and at the very least, my own questions? Seems legit. Like I care about a negative reputation anyways. What, am I going to get fired from my job because I have an undeserving bad reputation on BB forums? Is a bad reputation supposed to keep me up at night? What does some random reputation bar have to do with anything. How does it affect me? All that happens now, is when I give people good advice on their own questions, they might not trust me. I don't think any of my 12 whole answers to other people's questions have been bad advice. Go ahead and check. But now, because I stood up for myself to some troll, on my own thread, one time, I am now the "lowest scum on the boards". Apparently my advice to others means nothing, only this one incident. How pathetic are you. You're like a cop. You think you can throw around your authority (on a website, might I add) because you don't like something I said. ON MY OWN THREAD. Whatever. It doesn't affect me. If it makes you feel good to do this, I guess it's whatever.

BeauFlexington
09-21-2014, 08:47 PM
OP, fast freezing at the processor can cause the ice crystals to rupture cell walls in the meat tissue. The tissue water during freezing expands faster than the elasticity of the tissue will allow. As a result, thawing and cooking allowed more water to leave the chicken than if cooking an unfrozen cut. In a soup or stew, this wouldn't matter and that's probably the best intended use for bulk frozen chicken. For a fillet that you're eating whole, better to use freshly butchered cuts.

desslok
09-21-2014, 08:56 PM
ITT: elementary school physics dumbfounds people

NEBinAK
09-21-2014, 09:17 PM
ITT: elementary school physics dumbfounds people

I need to come to the nut section more often, these guys bring the lulz

Itt everyone that explains stuff to idiots is a troll

ErikTheElectric
09-21-2014, 09:32 PM
I typically only buy thawed, refrigerated chicken and cook it that night or the next. I was at Costco, and ended up buying a 10lb bag of frozen chicken. I weighed it out beforehand, and got 3lbs. I let it thaw in the refrigerator overnight, and cooked it the next day. When I weighed it again, after cooking it, I got that it was only 1lb and 12oz. Does anyone else have this problem? Unless I accidentally put a huge piece back in the bag afterwords, and forgot about it, I don't see how it could possibly weigh that much. That is only 60% of the original weight. And the chicken was nice and juicy, not dry. Is this normal? Either way I think I'm going to switch back to thawed chicken, I paid for 10lbs of chicken.Welcome to the beauty of Economics and clever packaging.

hwa12
09-21-2014, 09:48 PM
I paid for 10lbs of chicken.

Time to ask for a refund. You've certainly been duped by Costco. No other explanation.

ErikTheElectric
09-21-2014, 10:41 PM
Time to ask for a refund. You've certainly been duped by Costco. No other explanation.

Not sure if srs?

They'd laugh at you.

Mncdk
09-21-2014, 11:07 PM
Stop cooking your chicken until it's bone dry. That might also help.
Or buy higher quality chicken.

http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20140801050206/walkingdead/images/thumb/1/1e/3980754-8787229048-BH8VO.jpg/400px-3980754-8787229048-BH8VO.jpg

ErikTheElectric
09-21-2014, 11:31 PM
Stop cooking your chicken until it's bone dry. That might also help.
Or buy higher quality chicken.Unless you're going by brand alone, in the states.. we don't really get that choice when buying frozen chicken.

Mncdk
09-21-2014, 11:59 PM
Unless you're going by brand alone, in the states.. we don't really get that choice when buying frozen chicken.
Can't you get it fresh then?
I get mine like this

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=7290651&stc=1&d=1411369074

and then freeze the pieces in whatever portions I need them.

ErikTheElectric
09-22-2014, 12:10 AM
Oh of course you can buy them fresh, I was just speaking in context of the OP and his frozen chicken selection(s).

janglingjack
09-22-2014, 01:25 AM
OP I suggest you ring 911. This is a crime against humanity

kaygell
09-22-2014, 03:44 AM
Chickens are usually inserted with extra water and salt

cumminslifter
09-22-2014, 07:35 AM
Ohh no. Reporting me because I don't let trolls rule forums, and at the very least, my own questions? Seems legit. Like I care about a negative reputation anyways. What, am I going to get fired from my job because I have an undeserving bad reputation on BB forums? Is a bad reputation supposed to keep me up at night? What does some random reputation bar have to do with anything. How does it affect me? All that happens now, is when I give people good advice on their own questions, they might not trust me. I don't think any of my 12 whole answers to other people's questions have been bad advice. Go ahead and check. But now, because I stood up for myself to some troll, on my own thread, one time, I am now the "lowest scum on the boards". Apparently my advice to others means nothing, only this one incident. How pathetic are you. You're like a cop. You think you can throw around your authority (on a website, might I add) because you don't like something I said. ON MY OWN THREAD. Whatever. It doesn't affect me. If it makes you feel good to do this, I guess it's whatever.lol nice rant. why would i report you?

hwa12
09-22-2014, 10:56 AM
Not sure if srs?

They'd laugh at you.

Not sure if srs about being not sure if srs...

Lol, of course, not serious. But anyone who's had the misfortune of working in retail or observing a retail workplace knows that there are many people who are this stupid and routinely ask for such things.

ErikTheElectric
09-22-2014, 10:49 PM
Not sure if srs about being not sure if srs...

Lol, of course, not serious. But anyone who's had the misfortune of working in retail or observing a retail workplace knows that there are many people who are this stupid and routinely ask for such things.Brings me back to my days at the BBQ place..

"Sir, why are the beef ribs SO huge?"

"Maam, have you ever seen where they come from vs. pork ribs"?

Blacklac
09-22-2014, 11:37 PM
Just eat it raw and get your moneys worth.

Connor1226
09-23-2014, 05:55 AM
Depends how fatty the chicken is too. The fattier it is, the more weight that tends to be lost in cooking to grease.

I would not be freaking out about this. Since it really doesn't matter at the end of the day. Macros are still the same regardless of weight pre vs. post cooked.