PDA

View Full Version : Weighing food

jnf7882
09-12-2014, 12:35 AM
Quick question...right now I'm working on gaining lean muscle and have been put on a macro split of 155 C 135 P 40 F by my coach...on non training days(Sundays) I lower my carbs to 125. When Weighing food (specifically meats) should I weigh them cooked or raw? It seems the nutrition label would refer to the raw product but I've always weighed after I cook? Thinking about it, it could potentially be adding a few hundred calories a day from the discrepancy...my coach said just to weight cooked and be consistent but wanted some opinions from others. Thanks:)

TUWOD
09-12-2014, 12:58 AM
Because nutritional info is given for the uncooked meal (where applicable), you should weigh your food raw. As long as you're consistent with weighing one way, it's ok to stick to 1 method, but if you want to be as precise as possible you should weigh it raw.

Personally, I "have to" weigh my lunches already cooked since I eat from a place near my workplace, where I always get grilled chicken breast and multiply its weight by 1.32 when I input it in my daily tracker - that's the ratio I've found to be closest to the raw weight/cooked weight regarding grilled chicken breast.

jnf7882
09-12-2014, 04:20 AM
Because nutritional info is given for the uncooked meal (where applicable), you should weigh your food raw. As long as you're consistent with weighing one way, it's ok to stick to 1 method, but if you want to be as precise as possible you should weigh it raw.

Personally, I "have to" weigh my lunches already cooked since I eat from a place near my workplace, where I always get grilled chicken breast and multiply its weight by 1.32 when I input it in my daily tracker - that's the ratio I've found to be closest to the raw weight/cooked weight regarding grilled chicken breast.

Thanks! I'll try multiplying by 1.32 when weighed cooked.

tara19
09-12-2014, 04:50 AM
I weigh raw and use raw nutritional values.

Connor1226
09-12-2014, 05:14 AM
Yes.

Nutritional information out there for meats are for the raw weight. Meat can lose significant mass when being cooked depending on the fat content. So you are right, you could be off significantly by the end of the day if you count that way.
HOWEVER, I side with your coach a little bit in that, whatever you do, remain consistent.

I don't weigh my food. I measure what I can but I don't own a scale.
I have a decent eye for sizes of meat, so I do my best to stay consistent that way. I'm likely off in my calorie and macro counts by a bit, but as long as I'm getting results, I don't worry about it.
The way I look at it is, if I stay consistent and eat similar items throughout the week, I will have a pretty consistent number that I am off by. So lets say I'm off by 20%. Well if I notice I'm not losing weight fast enough at 1900 cals, I'll drop it to like 1700 and see if that helps. So I adjusted for the 20% on my own. It wasn't necessary for me to exactly know what I was off by.