PDA

View Full Version : How to prevent the body from going into survival mode?

Hulkenberg82
09-10-2014, 11:45 PM
I'm at a calorie deficit, trying to get rid of some stubborn bellyfat before beginning with any kind of bulking. I'm eating about 1200-1500 (maintenance at 2000) calories that are mostly coming from protein and fats. I feel like I've Hit a wall and that my body is in the so called survival mode. I'm eating apples, avocado, green tea and so on to try to help my metabolism work faster, but it doesn't seem to be working. Any tips on how to kick start my system again ?

Gxp23
09-11-2014, 12:14 AM
Eat more than 1200-1500 calories. Your metabolism is adapting to the amount you are eating. How the hell is your maintenance so low? Try eating at maintenance for a day or two.

Haveboards
09-11-2014, 12:19 AM
Yes you wouldn't want to go into survival mode. Try decreasing your life span.

Wouldn't want to live to long.

Well that's enough interwebz for today.

Mrpb
09-11-2014, 12:43 AM
5 ft 11, 170 pound, cutting at 1200 cal.

If you're trying to create an eating disorder you are doing things well.

MattPercy1991
09-11-2014, 12:50 AM
There is no true 'survival mode', your body cannot outrun a calorie defecit, however that being said, if you're eating at that horribly low calories constantly then your metabolism will adapt humungously to be able to run on close to that so try eating at maintainence or even just above for a couple of days and make sure your carbs are significantly higher than you're consuming now too. This should sort out your leptin levels to at least some degree and speed up your metabolism a bit again. Repeat this once a week/once a fortnight.

Hulkenberg82
09-11-2014, 01:34 AM
Eat more than 1200-1500 calories. Your metabolism is adapting to the amount you are eating. How the hell is your maintenance so low? Try eating at maintenance for a day or two.

According to the Katch McArdle formula my maintenance without sports is at 2050 calories (office job, body fat 18 [assumption]). So on days I dont train, I've been eating around 1200-1500 kcal with a couple of refeed/cheat days per month. On training days (cardio) , I've been eating a bit more, but then likely not enough. I don't have trouble with energy levels or anything like that, but the bellyfat isn't going away.

Hulkenberg82
09-11-2014, 01:41 AM
5 ft 11, 170 pound, cutting at 1200 cal.

If you're trying to create an eating disorder you are doing things well.

Well lol, no I'm not trying to create an eating disorder. I've lost close to 100 lbs over the course of the last 2,5 years by starting to do cardio and fixing my diet. I tried bulking and building muscle for a few months, but my gym trainers had no idea what they were doing so I put on weight and mostly bellyfat (very little if at all muscles) that I'm now trying to get rid of (with cardio) before beginning seriously with Jim Stoppani's shortcut to size programm.

Gxp23
09-11-2014, 01:47 AM
According to the Katch McArdle formula my maintenance without sports is at 2050 calories (office job, body fat 18 [assumption]). So on days I dont train, I've been eating around 1200-1500 kcal with a couple of refeed/cheat days per month. On training days (cardio) , I've been eating a bit more, but then likely not enough. I don't have trouble with energy levels or anything like that, but the bellyfat isn't going away.

Eat the same everyday.

GrowMacGrow
09-11-2014, 01:52 AM
Up your caloric intake and incorporate re-feeds - eating at or above maintenance with carb macros high and fat low - 1-2x/week.

Mrpb
09-11-2014, 04:19 AM
Well lol, no I'm not trying to create an eating disorder. I've lost close to 100 lbs over the course of the last 2,5 years by starting to do cardio and fixing my diet. I tried bulking and building muscle for a few months, but my gym trainers had no idea what they were doing so I put on weight and mostly bellyfat (very little if at all muscles) that I'm now trying to get rid of (with cardio) before beginning seriously with Jim Stoppani's shortcut to size programm.

Stoppani's program uses ineffective training frequency. A good program for you would work your full body 3 times a week.

Options: Stronglifts 5x5, Fierce 5, ICF 5x5, All Pro.

On your next bulk make sure to eat a small surplus (~250-300 calories).

Hulkenberg82
09-11-2014, 05:21 AM
Stoppani's program uses ineffective training frequency. A good program for you would work your full body 3 times a week.

Options: Stronglifts 5x5, Fierce 5, ICF 5x5, All Pro.

On your next bulk make sure to eat a small surplus (~250-300 calories).

Hmm, ok. Because I was doing Arnold's Golden Six, which is a full-body workout - alternating 3 or 4 times a week, but not seeing much gains. I mixed in cardio as well, which might have been a mistake, but I still put on a way too much weight and bellyfat. I realize some of that was due to adding carbs to my diet again and those carbs holding water in my body, but anyway - the gains were nowehere to be seen. :(

Based on that experience I thought Stoppani's workout might be useful instead....

Mrpb
09-11-2014, 07:22 AM
Hmm, ok. Because I was doing Arnold's Golden Six, which is a full-body workout - alternating 3 or 4 times a week, but not seeing much gains. I mixed in cardio as well, which might have been a mistake, but I still put on a way too much weight and bellyfat. I realize some of that was due to adding carbs to my diet again and those carbs holding water in my body, but anyway - the gains were nowehere to be seen. :(

If you put on fat it was likely because the surplus was too large.

Too much cardio could hinder gains on lower body lifts.