PDA

View Full Version : Washing salted Pistachio nuts

NotJamesBond
09-06-2014, 06:33 AM
Good afternoon fellow builders,

For the first time today I had pistachio ice cream and my god was it good, I then decided to try and add pistachio nuts to my frozen proghurt this evening. Usually as a dessert I prepare myself a kilo of frozen yoghurt with a scoop of powder and I garnish it with nuts: I tend to put coconut on top since it is my favorite nut... ...until today.
To my disappointment unsalted pistachio kernels are extremely expensive (6 for 80g) and the shops don't seem to sell non-salted pistachios. Personally, I do not like salted food (sweet tooth) so I was wondering what would happened if I washed salted nuts to get rid of the salt, anyone ever tried found this? If not I will try in the name of science :D

azzspankr
09-06-2014, 06:35 AM
I've never thought of washing a pistachio. Won't it wash a way a lot of the flavor?

NotJamesBond
09-06-2014, 06:37 AM
I've never thought of washing a pistachio. Won't it wash a way a lot of the flavor?
I'm scared it will do exactly that

Connor1226
09-06-2014, 06:44 AM
I'm bordering on whether to take this seriously or not.

Oh well...
Adding pistachios to your yogurt likely will not make it taste like the ice cream. For the same reason almond flavored desserts don't taste like almonds. The extract is what provides that really awesome, sweet flavor. So you can maybe consider adding some extract to your froyo instead.
Sure you can wash pistachios. Why would it not be ok? If it doesn't work the first time well, lesson learned. It's not going to kill you.

I'm still having a hard time getting over the kilo of frozen yogurt per day. I just hope that's a typo or a joke.

NotJamesBond
09-06-2014, 06:50 AM
I'm bordering on whether to take this seriously or not.

Oh well...
Adding pistachios to your yogurt likely will not make it taste like the ice cream. For the same reason almond flavored desserts don't taste like almonds. The extract is what provides that really awesome, sweet flavor. So you can maybe consider adding some extract to your froyo instead.
Sure you can wash pistachios. Why would it not be ok? If it doesn't work the first time well, lesson learned. It's not going to kill you.

I'm still having a hard time getting over the kilo of frozen yogurt per day. I just hope that's a typo or a joke.

No joke. I love frozen yoghurt and nuts. I know it probably won't taste like pistachio ice cream but if I wanted pistachio ice cream I'd go buy a tub it :P
I don't understand why it is a joke to eat a kilo of it

Connor1226
09-06-2014, 07:04 AM
A kilo is 2.2lbs. A GALLON of ice cream is 4.5lbs
You are telling me you eat approx. a half a gallon tub of frozen yogurt per day?

NotJamesBond
09-06-2014, 07:18 AM
A kilo is 2.2lbs. A GALLON of ice cream is 4.5lbs
You are telling me you eat approx. a half a gallon tub of frozen yogurt per day?

6 small 150g cups of white yoghurt + 100ml of milk + 25g of powder, yes it adds up to 1025g :p

muruku
09-06-2014, 07:37 AM
Bake the nuts to dry them out after washing em. If not they will taste very very blah.

NotJamesBond
09-06-2014, 07:48 AM
Bake the nuts to dry them out after washing em. If not they will taste very very blah.

Will do, I just washed them and about to bake them. Hope they turn out ok :D thanks

Mncdk
09-06-2014, 07:48 AM
Either buy unprocessed pistachios or just add them as is.
Why all the fuss?

NotJamesBond
09-06-2014, 08:17 AM
It worked, thanks guys :D

NotJamesBond
09-06-2014, 08:19 AM
Either buy unprocessed pistachios or just add them as is.
Why all the fuss?

They don't sell them in Luxembourg unless you feel like paying 7.20 for 100g and I eat 25g a day

ironwill2008
09-06-2014, 08:19 AM
Good afternoon fellow builders,

For the first time today I had pistachio ice cream and my god was it good, I then decided to try and add pistachio nuts to my frozen proghurt this evening. Usually as a dessert I prepare myself a kilo of frozen yoghurt with a scoop of powder and I garnish it with nuts: I tend to put coconut on top since it is my favorite nut... ...until today.
To my disappointment unsalted pistachio kernels are extremely expensive (6€ for 80g) and the shops don't seem to sell non-salted pistachios. Personally, I do not like salted food (sweet tooth) so I was wondering what would happened if I washed salted nuts to get rid of the salt, anyone ever tried found this? If not I will try in the name of science :D

Run them through a couple of wash/rinse cycles in a dishwashing machine. You'll be good to go.

NotJamesBond
09-06-2014, 08:34 AM
Run them through a couple of wash/rinse cycles in a dishwashing machine. You'll be good to go.

Next time lol.

ironwill2008
09-06-2014, 08:35 AM
Next time lol.

If you don't have a dishwasher, rent a high-powered pressure washer and use that. You'll be good to go.

NotJamesBond
09-06-2014, 08:36 AM
If you don't have a dishwasher, rent a high-powered pressure washer and use that. You'll be good to go.

So much for staying on a budget with the food

muruku
09-06-2014, 10:04 PM
So much for staying on a budget with the food

bro he's just being snarky. please do not go thru all that trouble just to rinse out the salt.
no idea why either when you're just trying to save some cash. who likes salted nuts with their yogurt or ice cream anyway.
i personally buy raw nuts and then roast or bake them myself, cos raw nuts are a on average $2 cheaper per kg. every cent counts mang