PDA

View Full Version : BF% estimate, please.

jdiz86
08-27-2014, 11:21 AM
I bought calipers but realized I can't measure myself very accurately.. at all lol. Not going to ask my bff to do it either. Waste of $20.

What do you think my bf% is? I'm guessing somewhere between 13-16%.

I'm 5 months into lifting fyi. Trying to put on weight, but find myself stuck around 193. The heaviest I've ever seen the scale was at 195, and the lowest in the last month or so has been 190. But that is from 175, 5 months ago. It's funny, I've put on quite a bit of weight, but I think I've actually cut fat too. 20lb gain would make that seem like lucky results, I'd think.

cls91
08-27-2014, 11:25 AM
I'd say around 13%. Definitely up the kcals and keep bulking, looking good so far but will look much better with some more LBM

magician27
08-27-2014, 11:27 AM
12-13%

Mrpb
08-27-2014, 11:30 AM
13% I'd think.

daddyuk
08-27-2014, 11:32 AM
15% ish

jdiz86
08-27-2014, 11:39 AM
I'd say around 13%. Definitely up the kcals and keep bulking, looking good so far but will look much better with some more LBM

I'm chasing that LBM...aren't we all.. And have recently upped my cals and changed my routine (from 3day/week, full body to 4 day/week, upper/lower split). Ready to reach the next level. Also, took a good look at my macros and noticed the fats were too low - add a couple spoonfulls of nat peanut butter in there should help with that. Thanks for the response.

kaygell
08-27-2014, 12:28 PM
I'm chasing that LBM...aren't we all.. And have recently upped my cals and changed my routine (from 3day/week, full body to 4 day/week, upper/lower split). Ready to reach the next level. Also, took a good look at my macros and noticed the fats were too low - add a couple spoonfulls of nat peanut butter in there should help with that. Thanks for the response.

Don't worry about the exact BF %, it's the look that your going for not the number.
Will it make a difference to your look if your estimate here is 5% or 15%, no it won't.

Just use a calliper to have your BF measured and use that number and the following measurements as a tool to judge your progress.

devilsrule61287
08-27-2014, 12:41 PM
I'd say about 13 or 14%. I'm surprised you find the calipers to be inaccurate. I bought calipers that cost all of 3 bucks, and it nearly always aligns with peoples' estimates on this site. But of course, you are missing the point of measuring bodyfat. Its not about the absolute number. Its about the change over time. So long as you measure yourself in a consistent manner, it doesn't matter if its objectively inaccurate, so long as its inaccurate by the same amount each time (therefore revealing the actual change in BF).

jdiz86
08-27-2014, 01:51 PM
I'd say about 13 or 14%. I'm surprised you find the calipers to be inaccurate. I bought calipers that cost all of 3 bucks, and it nearly always aligns with peoples' estimates on this site. But of course, you are missing the point of measuring bodyfat. Its not about the absolute number. Its about the change over time. So long as you measure yourself in a consistent manner, it doesn't matter if its objectively inaccurate, so long as its inaccurate by the same amount each time (therefore revealing the actual change in BF).

Maybe it was the guide I was going off, but there are 2 areas on your back to fold and then pinch with the calipers.. may I ask how you accomplished this with 2 hands?

Also, folding and the pinching your bicep area and then your upper/side pec... If you can't fold your skin with one hand, I'd think that you're not going to get an accurate reading.

I do understand that it should be about individual progress, but I really want to know (for some reason) what my true bf% is. Maybe the only accurate way to do this is with a DEXA scan. I think it's $100 a pop though..

Connor1226
08-27-2014, 02:30 PM
I'm with the 13%, maybe a bit lower crowd.