PDA

View Full Version : insulin resistance?

MrSmellGood
08-24-2014, 10:54 AM
being in the high bodyfat range, how can i tell if im insulin resistant?

Mrpb
08-24-2014, 10:56 AM
On high-carbohydrate intakes, do you find yourself getting pumped and full or sloppy and bloated? If the former, you have good insulin sensitivity; if the latter, you don’t.
When you eat a large carbohydrate meal, do you find that you have steady and stable energy levels or do you get an energy crash/sleep and get hungry about an hour later? If the former, you probably have normal/low levels of insulin secretion; if the latter, you probably tend to over-secrete insulin which is causing blood glucose to crash which is making you sleepy and hungry.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/insulin-sensitivity-and-fat-loss.html

MrSmellGood
08-24-2014, 11:04 AM
On high-carbohydrate intakes, do you find yourself getting pumped and full or sloppy and bloated? If the former, you have good insulin sensitivity; if the latter, you don’t.
When you eat a large carbohydrate meal, do you find that you have steady and stable energy levels or do you get an energy crash/sleep and get hungry about an hour later? If the former, you probably have normal/low levels of insulin secretion; if the latter, you probably tend to over-secrete insulin which is causing blood glucose to crash which is making you sleepy and hungry.

yeah i find that any carbs i eat at all and im ready to pass the F out within like 20-30mins. as far as if i find myself sloppy or bloated, i am at 35%BF so either way i feel sloppy and bloated haha. and im also always hungry lol

what should i do then?

Dr. Horse
08-24-2014, 11:04 AM

how about no

MrSmellGood
08-24-2014, 11:12 AM
how about no

care to elaborate?

Mrpb
08-24-2014, 11:16 AM
yeah i find that any carbs i eat at all and im ready to pass the F out within like 20-30mins. as far as if i find myself sloppy or bloated, i am at 35%BF so either way i feel sloppy and bloated haha. and im also always hungry lol

what should i do then?

Sounds like you have poor insulin sensitivity. You are a good candidate for a low carb diet.

I recommend you read the whole article by Lyle McDonald.

GrowMacGrow
08-24-2014, 12:54 PM
Sounds like you have poor insulin sensitivity. You are a good candidate for a low carb diet.

I recommend you read the whole article by Lyle McDonald.

Nicely broken down, sir ;)

Dr. Horse
08-24-2014, 02:06 PM
Sounds like you have poor insulin sensitivity.

Why does poor insulin sensitivity cause low blood glucose?

sub5
08-24-2014, 02:07 PM

^what a bunch of horse****. Shaking my head...

OP, ask your doctor for an oral glucose tolerance test. If the 2-hour value is over 140 mg/dl you're probably insulin resistant.

A normal value doesn't rule out that you're insulin resistant, but it's unlikely.

tom10
08-24-2014, 02:13 PM
I don't mean to sound like an ass, but what does it matter? Any type of reasonable diet with a caloric deficit will decrease your weight and increase your insulin sensitivity.

Sub5, this test is rarely done outside of obstetrics. 2 random glucose checks, a fasting glucose level or an HbA1c are the tests of choice here.

NutritionKing
08-24-2014, 02:14 PM
If you had poor insulin sensitivity, you would not be fat

tom10
08-24-2014, 02:27 PM
If you had poor insulin sensitivity, you would not be fat

This is not true. Type 2 diabetics that acquired the disease by being obese are normally insulin resistant. If you check out the mechanism of why this is, it makes sense, but I will admit it does look paradoxical at first glance.

Ondle
08-24-2014, 02:53 PM
Idk bout u guys but im cutting on high carbs and protein and lowish fat and im getting stronger, recovering better from workouts and not even that hungry. The only advantage low carb did for me was faster weight loss. Idk why that is. Maybe because I was losing water. Im thinking of switching to a lowered carb intake, but it may not be a good idea atm.

tom10
08-24-2014, 03:00 PM
Idk bout u guys but im cutting on high carbs and protein and lowish fat and im getting stronger, recovering better from workouts and not even that hungry. The only advantage low carb did for me was faster weight loss. Idk why that is. Maybe because I was losing water. Im thinking of switching to a lowered carb intake, but it may not be a good idea atm.

Nailed it.

How low is fat? Low fat diets are great at first, but you can end up feeling like **** as hormone levels go to ****.

Ondle
08-24-2014, 03:22 PM
Nailed it.

How low is fat? Low fat diets are great at first, but you can end up feeling like **** as hormone levels go to ****.

45-50 grams per day. Pretty low, but its working so far.

Im probably gonna increase it to 55-60 grams. Is 0.3 g per pound of bw a good guideline to follow?

Mrpb
08-25-2014, 12:49 AM
^what a bunch of horse****. Shaking my head...

That's usually not the way Lyle McDonald is classified.

While I agree an oral glucose test at his doctor would be better, I think Lyle's way can work as an indicator. Going by his answer it's time to get tested.

WonderPug
08-25-2014, 12:58 AM
Why does poor insulin sensitivity cause low blood glucose?One could argue that dietary induced nonpathalogical insulin resistance is associated with low(er) blood glucose, but now I'm just being pedantic, perhaps because prolonged periods of nutritional ketosis have exacerbated my curmudgeonly tendencies.

Or maybe he just got it backwards.

SuffolkPunch
08-25-2014, 02:33 AM
Blood glucose would not be chronically low, it would swing into the low range due to the body overcompensating for poor function in the insulin receptors by producing too much insulin - so after a time lag following a CHO meal, there will be a period of low blood sugar.

Any yes, a ketogenic diet is a very good solution, I know this from experience. Also just generally losing weight, getting better conditioning and eating more nutritious foods helps too.

nicholina
08-25-2014, 05:15 AM
Any yes, a ketogenic diet is a very good solution, I know this from experience. Also just generally losing weight, getting better conditioning and eating more nutritious foods helps too.
This is a good suggestion. At your body fat, its likely there is some level of insulin resistance. When your body starts displaying an inability to metabolize carbohydrates effectively, its usually a good idea to stop eating so much of them.

WonderPug
08-25-2014, 05:24 AM
This is a good suggestion. At your body fat, its likely there is some level of insulin resistance. When your body starts displaying an inability to metabolize carbohydrates effectively, its usually a good idea to stop eating so much of them.Undeniably logical.