PDA

View Full Version : best thing to drink before a workout?

Whiskas
08-21-2014, 03:54 PM
i know what to consume after my workout, but i'm just wondering if there's an ideal drink that you should have prior to your workout. i like to have ~500ml chocolate milk before my workouts because it's rich in carbs and provides me a sufficient amount of fuel, but at the same time i realize that i need water to hydrate my muscles. although i read that chocolate milk is 85% water on this brochure from my gym.

is plain old water the best thing to have?

Zykanthos
08-21-2014, 04:04 PM
i know what to consume after my workout, but i'm just wondering if there's an ideal drink that you should have prior to your workout. i like to have ~500ml chocolate milk before my workouts because it's rich in carbs and provides me a sufficient amount of fuel, but at the same time i realize that i need water to hydrate my muscles. although i read that chocolate milk is 85% water on this brochure from my gym.

Water mixed with a pre-workout supplement and creatine is #1 in my book.

Gxp23
08-21-2014, 04:08 PM
What do you consume after your workout?

Whiskas
08-21-2014, 04:39 PM
What do you consume after your workout?
a shake containing 1 scoop of optimum nutrition weight gainer, 1 banana, 400~ml ice cream, ~1 cup yogurt, ~1 cup frozen fruit, 250ml milk and 2 tbspn peanut butter and a light meal/snack to go with it.

necon76
08-21-2014, 04:41 PM
Overthinking 101.

Whiskas
08-21-2014, 04:44 PM
Overthinking 101.
proper hydration is fundamental to a healthy workout, so i wouldn't consider myself overthinking anything l0l

rhadam
08-21-2014, 04:44 PM

You should be drinking water throughout the day, not just pre workout to "hydrate your muscles". You should be drinking to thirst, or a nice rule of thumb is at least a half gallon a day.

When it comes to your workouts, your nutrition should be adapted to best suit your training. Whatever foods give you the proper amount of energy to maximize exercise performance, eat them. The same goes for liquids. As per what to eat after a workout, there's really nothing specific outside of getting in some nutrients with at least 20g of protein within 20-24 hours post workout. MPS (muscle protein synthesis) stays elevated long after your workout. No need to slam a protein shake or eat a big meal right after dropping the weights. Concern yourself with the entirety of your diet, not acute instances.

rhadam
08-21-2014, 04:45 PM
proper hydration is fundamental to a healthy workout, so i wouldn't consider myself overthinking anything l0l

It is overthinking when you consider the fact that everyone should be drinking water regardless. If you're training and sweating, you should increase the water intake as well as making sure you're ingesting the proper micro nutrients for cellular balance.

necon76
08-21-2014, 04:48 PM

Do you not drink anything else throughout the day?

SOJA
08-21-2014, 04:48 PM
Marinara sauce. Fast acting carbs and flavorful.

Whiskas
08-21-2014, 04:50 PM
i drink water throughout the day (as well as some chocolate milk for the extra calories and calcium/protein), but i'm just wondering if there are other drinks that count toward your daily recommended 3.5-4L~ water consumption, or if i should just be drinking water

necon76
08-21-2014, 04:53 PM
i drink water throughout the day (as well as some chocolate milk for the extra calories and calcium/protein), but i'm just wondering if there are other drinks that count toward your daily recommended 3.5-4L~ water consumption, or if i should just be drinking water

They all count.

rhadam
08-21-2014, 05:09 PM

I use powdered Gatorade to drink throughout the day, however it's very diluted. But during the summer i'm outside all the time and sweating, so the Gatorade really helps replenish electrolytes. Anyways. I use a 2L jug. I could that as 2L of water, even though i'm mixing Gatorade in to it.

Savvy?

KobiDC
08-21-2014, 05:22 PM

Then drink water? :)

SuperTrampsv
08-21-2014, 05:28 PM
Water obviously as stated. However, not over-thinking 101 IMO.. unless I read that you workout later in the day. BC if you are training relatively early ... then you will want to consume some fluids before training. General rule of thumb I have been told or read was about 1000ml. But again... maybe I am lazy and didnt read that you are training later in the day. For performance reasons I use designer carbohydrates. Specifically Glycofuse due to the majority of the serving to be strictly Highly Branched Cyclic Dextrins. I mix with Aminolast and drink during my training session. It seems to have been extremely beneficial to my most current contest preparation as well.

Gxp23
08-21-2014, 05:39 PM
a shake containing 1 scoop of optimum nutrition weight gainer, 1 banana, 400~ml ice cream, ~1 cup yogurt, ~1 cup frozen fruit, 250ml milk and 2 tbspn peanut butter and a light meal/snack to go with it.

Lol ok.

necon76
08-21-2014, 05:52 PM
For performance reasons I use designer carbohydrates. Specifically Glycofuse due to the majority of the serving to be strictly Highly Branched Cyclic Dextrins. I mix with Aminolast and drink during my training session.

Lol ok.

PBateman2
08-21-2014, 06:14 PM
Chocolate Milk = Nectar of the Gods.

DAaaMan64
08-21-2014, 06:16 PM
Chocolate Milk = Nectar of the Gods.

came in expecting...
Leaving satisfied

EDIT:

Overthinking 101.

I can't find it on BB.com, where do you guys buy this stuff?

necon76
08-21-2014, 06:25 PM
I can't find it on BB.com, where do you guys buy this stuff?

Sickgainsbrah.com.ru

Jasonk282
08-21-2014, 06:28 PM
shot of jack and a miller lite