PDA

View Full Version : About upping calories...

mistereverybody
08-19-2014, 03:42 AM
Hi,

I have had 2 questions on my mind for quite some time now:

1/_ How long should you wait to up your calories? I mean, if your weight remains the same for 2 weeks, should you up your intake or wait a little longer?

2/_ What do you put in these extra calories? This is what I do:

On off days:
1g protein/lbs of bodyweight
1g carbs/lbs of bodyweight
the rest is fat (mostly extra virgin olive oil. There's no coconut oil or almond oil where I live).

On workout days:
1g protein/lbs bodyweight
2.5 lbs carbs/lbs bodyweight
the rest is fat (mostly extra virgin olive oil. There's no coconut oil or almond oil where I live).

Now, if I want to up my calories intake by 300 calories, should I make those fat? carbs? protein?

thanks,

Flagaba
08-19-2014, 04:21 AM
Two weeks sounds about right for changes if you need to change something, You could add 100-150 calories (more or less) and see how weight changes on the scale depending on the goals you have.

Regarding your macros, I'd rather set a number for fats instead of carbs. Dietary fats are an essential macronutrient and you need 0.4-0.5g/pound of body weight for hormones production and regulation. I suggest you to make sure you have that number set and when your protein and fats minimums are reached you may fill the rest with any macros you want (don't forget micronutrients though, they're very important health-wise). At this point it won't matter where those calories come from as long as everything is in check, if you're worried about fat gains just make sure that the surplus remains a small one (300 calories sounds good for a slow/lean bulk).

I prefer to consume approximately the same amount of calories and macros everyday whether it's a workout day or not but if you like it this way go for it. I would personally recommend you to vary your sources of fat though, I may be wrong but it doesn't seem to me like you could reach your minimum fat intake if you only use EVOO.

mistereverybody
08-19-2014, 05:32 AM
thanks,