PDA

View Full Version : Confused about protein spiking

Emdad
08-17-2014, 07:57 PM
I know you can tell by reading the labels if a powder is being spiked, but what are the figures to look for? For example in this link
http://www.******************/p/********-whey-tech-chocolate-5-lb-powder/vs-2269#.U_Fd4_ldXOo
all the aminos are listed, but what do I do with that info to tell if it's telling the truth about the protein content?

Supplement Facts
Serving Size 1 SCOOP (24 GM)
Servings Per Container 94

Amount Per
Serving
% Daily
Value

Calories
N/A*

Calories From Fat
N/A*

Total Fat
2 Gm
2%

Saturated Fat
1 Gm
5%

TRANS FAT
0 Gm
N/A*

Cholesterol
30 Mg
10%

Sodium
45 Gm
2%

Potassium
260 Mg
7%

Total Carbohydrate
3 Gm
1%

Dietary Fiber
0 Mg
N/A*

Sugars
2 Gm
N/A*

Protein
17 Gm
N/A*

Vitamin A
N/A*

Vitamin C
N/A*

Calcium
15%

Iron
2%

TYPICAL AMINO ACID PROFILE (PER 24 GM OF POWDER)
N/A*

Alanine
1 Gm
N/A*

Arginine
1 Gm
N/A*

Aspartic Acid
3 Gm
N/A*

Cystine
1 Gm
N/A*

Glutamic Acid
4 Gm
N/A*

Glycine
1 Gm
N/A*

Histidine
0 Gm
N/A*

Isoleucine
1 Gm
N/A*

Leucine
2 Gm
N/A*

Lysine
2 Gm
N/A*

Methionine
1 Gm
N/A*

Phenylalanine
1 Gm
N/A*

Proline
1 Gm
N/A*

Serine
1 Gm
N/A*

Threonine
2 Gm
N/A*

Tryptophan
0 Gm
N/A*

Tyrosine
1 Gm
N/A*

Valine
1 Gm
N/A*

ManWithNoName93
08-17-2014, 08:26 PM
You cannot always tell by just reading the label. There can be certain ingredients added that can give off the impression that the protein is spiked but it doesn't necessarily mean the reported protein content on the label is spiked. The only real way to know for sure is a full amino acid profile.

Lionology
08-17-2014, 08:27 PM
What's the protein?

Emdad
08-17-2014, 08:30 PM
Vitamin shoppe whey tech.

Apollo 13
08-17-2014, 08:43 PM
Vitamin shoppe whey tech.

wouldn't worry about spiking with that protein since the L-glutamine is listed way after the flavoring so its very little of it. Also don't see any of the other things companies use to spike in the ingredient list.

*EDIT* didn't see the that Glycine was in the profile list though but it's 1 gram and I think 1 gram of it only adds a little over 1gram of protein to the the total protein.

Emdad
08-17-2014, 08:53 PM
wouldn't worry about spiking with that protein since the L-glutamine is listed way after the flavoring so its very little of it. Also don't see any of the other things companies use to spike in the ingredient list.

*EDIT* didn't see the that Glycine was in the profile list though but it's 1 gram and I think 1 gram of it only adds a little over 1gram of protein to the the total protein.

Thanks a bunch man, how do you know about the glycine and L-glutamine being the ones that are used to spike with?

Apollo 13
08-17-2014, 08:55 PM
Thanks a bunch man, how do you know about the glycine and L-glutamine being the ones that are used to spike with?

I did a google search a few days ago and read up on the spiking before making another purchase of protein. You should do the samething so you know what all to look for.