PDA

View Full Version : Addicted to sugar?

devilbones
08-08-2014, 06:46 AM
I have been trying to lay off the sweets. I stopped eating dessert on Sunday. Well last night I broke down and had a slice of cake with a scoop of ice cream (Safeway Dulce de Leche), choco syrup, Cool Whip and two (2) Cherries. Any way to get rid of these cravings? I consider myself a pretty disciplined eater but I feel I may be addicted. Anyone else?

SeanM4
08-08-2014, 06:49 AM
Why don't you just fit it into your daily cals/macros if you enjoy eating it that much?

devilbones
08-08-2014, 06:53 AM
It would be hard but could be doable. Its usually right before I go to bed my will is broken and I give in.

Chewmattica
08-08-2014, 06:57 AM
I eat ice cream and popcorn every night. Fits in with my daily caloric goal/macros. Create a plan for during the day and save them cals for when you normally have those cravings, then satisfy them :)

Lefticle
08-08-2014, 07:05 AM
Fruit and fruit juice has worked best for me. Still has sugar but not high fructose corn syrup which is the most detrimental

shesprints
08-08-2014, 07:13 AM
I think the issue where is that you feel that you must be constantly 'disciplined' in your eating. If you have a healthy relationship with food, very little day-to-day discipline is actually necessary, and you won't feel horrible for having the occasional indulgent food (provided you have the appetite for it and are not eating far beyond fullness).

I would argue that you do not seem to be addicted to sugar. First of all, cake with Cool Whip and ice cream is primarily high in fat, as well as sugar. I doubt you were getting the shakes so hard you upended a bowl of pure table sugar into your mouth, correct?

Yes, there are some hyper-palatable foods that can induce us to eat more or crave them, but the addiction model with regards to any type of food doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. That's just my two cents.

I think a lot of the 'addiction' people may feel around food is more behavioral than biochemical or related to the food--that is, it's more about YOU and your attitude toward food than the food itself. It seems like you have a rather rigid black-and-white mindset about what you eat, labeling it 'good' and 'bad.' Human beings don't respond well to harsh, strict guidelines. We tend to rebel.

I mean, if anything, you could work on improving the QUALITY of your treats, perhaps. Like, Cool Whip is kind of problematic because it's hydrogenated oil, so maybe not ideal (I mean, it won't kill you, but it's not good for you). If the cherries are maraschino cherrie, I mean... c'mon, you know that isn't ideal. Why not have a piece of cake made with butter, flour, sugar, cocoa powder, and some real fresh cherries? Seriously, how is that so bad, if it fits your macros (which should be a range anyway, not exact)? What about taking some pleasure in life? That's not a sin. We're not Calvinists or Puritans here. I mean, I'm not, IDK about the rest of you.

kris90
08-08-2014, 07:14 AM
If you are going to include these types of foods in your diet, just practice of portion control. Eat as much whole foods as you desire (meats, veggies, fruits, nuts/seeds) and limit yourself to a small treat every night and you'll be fine.

If you can't control the cravings, you may do better to eliminate the sugar. Next time you get a sugar craving, have some peanut butter, or something high in fat. Or try dark chocolate.

devilbones
Fruit and fruit juice has worked best for me. Still has sugar but not high fructose corn syrup which is the most detrimental
I guess what I really meant to say was I like to eat cake, ice cream, cool whip, jelly and white bread a lot. I usually end up busting my limit by a few cals. I have incorporated extra running and some ruck marching to make up for it though:)

TheMadPhysicist
Calories are calories . Just make sure you're packing in your protein , carbs and fats according to your current goal. Any excess calories can be offset by increasing your tdee, just lift more. Or incorporate a little HIIT.

Don't need to to be too anal with anything other than your broad macros and wouldn't worry about it. Unless you are competing or on a cut goal lower than 10%

You're either on a bulk or a cut, which ever it is, simple calculations of cals in vs cals out...and surplus/deficit (to your target) can be easily balanced out.

Try eating for nutrition not pleasure. Then explore recipes and you may find food that tastes good and remains within your 'allowance'

I have been trying to lay off the sweets. I stopped eating dessert on Sunday. Well last night I broke down and had a slice of cake with a scoop of ice cream (Safeway Dulce de Leche), choco syrup, Cool Whip and two (2) Cherries. Any way to get rid of these cravings? I consider myself a pretty disciplined eater but I feel I may be addicted. Anyone else?

Caezar07
08-08-2014, 07:17 AM
I hate feeling like I just have to have something, whether it be sugar, caffeine, alcohol or any other addictive substance for that matter. IIFYM will allow you to have your cake and eat it too. So you could go to the gym 5x a week, have your cake and ice cream every night, and still stay in shape. It's no big deal if you eat cake every now and then, or even everyday, as long as you're not gaining too much weight and you're still getting in your micro nutrients.

If you want to get in control of your cravings, start by cutting out artificial sweeteners. Try to get sweetness from fruit instead of cake or pastries.

shesprints
08-08-2014, 07:20 AM
I guess what I really meant to say was I like to eat cake, ice cream, cool whip, jelly and white bread a lot. I usually end up busting my limit by a few cals. I have incorporated extra running and some ruck marching to make up for it though:)

Doing extra exercise to try to 'negate' poor food choices is not a habit you want to get into. It's borderline disordered.

Also... I have to say, it kind of seems like the foods you are eating look kind of processed and high in HFCS and preservatives. Like, I'm just guessing, but does white bread = Wonder bread?

Does 'jelly' = 'hardly any fruit, mostly sugar"?

Cool whip, I already talked about.

Cake = like grocery store cake with hydrogenated oils and artificial colors and so forth?

Maybe just pay some attention to your food quality. It doesn't sound like a food addiciton now. It sounds like you're in the habit of relying on highly rewarding/highly processed food instead of whole foods or minimally processed foods that frankly taste better anyway.

devilbones
08-08-2014, 07:26 AM
Doing extra exercise to try to 'negate' poor food choices is not a habit you want to get into. It's borderline disordered.

Also... I have to say, it kind of seems like the foods you are eating look kind of processed and high in HFCS and preservatives. Like, I'm just guessing, but does white bread = Wonder bread?

Cake = like grocery store cake with hydrogenated oils and artificial colors and so forth?

Maybe just pay some attention to your food quality. It doesn't sound like a food addiciton now. It sounds like you're in the habit of relying on highly rewarding/highly processed food instead of whole foods or minimally processed foods that frankly taste better anyway.
By cake I am meaning like a wedding sheet cake with butter cream. White bread is the store brand and the jelly is the processed kind with no HFCS. I really live by the rule where I try to eat good 85% of the time and dont really care 15%. Its just got me wondering why I have to eat something sweet? Why cant I get a steak craving before bed or pork rinds?

shesprints
08-08-2014, 07:29 AM
By cake I am meaning like a wedding sheet cake with butter cream. White bread is the store brand and the jelly is the processed kind with no HFCS. I really live by the rule where I try to eat good 85% of the time and dont really care 15%. Its just got me wondering why I have to eat something sweet? Why cant I get a steak craving before bed or pork rinds?

Perhaps you are craving sweets because you aren't eating enough carbohydrate throughout the day. I used to get sweets cravings when I restricted carbs. Why would it be 'better' to eat steak before bed than cake? I would feel ill and perform poorly if I ate a large steak instead of a carb-heavy bedtime snack, since I only require 85 of protein a day but do best on 400g of carbs. You are a fit guy, so you may actually be moderately able to trust your physical cravings. If you don't crave protein and fat you may not need more protein and fat. What are your macros and general level of activity/type of exercise?

Overtraining also leads to sugar cravings. I just don't think it's 'addiction.' If you are overdoing cardio and not refueling properly (as many who try to use it to 'burn off calories' do), it only becomes a vicious cycle.

Caezar07
08-08-2014, 07:37 AM
I think the issue where is that you feel that you must be constantly 'disciplined' in your eating. If you have a healthy relationship with food, very little day-to-day discipline is actually necessary, and you won't feel horrible for having the occasional indulgent food (provided you have the appetite for it and are not eating far beyond fullness).

This.

Sometimes I get the sense that a lot of people are using IIFYM and IF in order to perpetuate an unhealthy relationship with food, rather than using these types of diets towards physical or health goals.

devilbones
08-08-2014, 07:42 AM
My macros look like this:
Cals - 2,000
Carbs - 100
Fat -89
Protein - 200
Usually run about 9 miles a week @ 8 min pace. Lifting weights 3x week for about an hour. Trying to lose about 1lb/week.
I put the smiley at the end of that sentence because I was trying to be cheeky. I know that its not making up for anything.

Britanica
08-08-2014, 07:42 AM
Try using hard candy. Buy some flavor you enjoy (suckers come in any flavor now a days) and suck on them anytime you have a sweet tooth. I use to do this and now I have better control over my cravings. I prefer salt more than sugar now.

TheMadPhysicist
08-08-2014, 07:56 AM
So you are cutting then. What bodybuildig programme incorporates running 9 miles?

Sack the cardio unless your goal is fitness. Yes it has benefits, but in the interest of bodybuilding, stick to heavy compound. IMO fine to add HIIT in addition to lifting, but never as a substitute.

Would be interested to know what cutting programme you're working with.

Cals - 2,000
Carbs - 100
Fat -89
Protein - 200
Usually run about 9 miles a week @ 8 min pace. Lifting weights 3x week for about an hour. Trying to lose about 1lb/week.
I put the smiley at the end of that sentence because I was trying to be cheeky. I know that its not making up for anything.

devilbones
08-08-2014, 08:02 AM
So you are cutting then. What bodybuildig programme incorporates running 9 miles?

Sack the cardio unless your goal is fitness. Yes it has benefits, but in the interest of bodybuilding, stick to heavy compound. IMO fine to add HIIT in addition to lifting, but never as a substitute.

Would be interested to know what cutting programme you're working with.
I run because military. They dont test you for anything but situps, pullups, 3mi run. Does the program matter? Do you want to know my reps and sets? I feel we may be getting off topic. My question was related to why I crave 'sweets' and nothing else. It would be easier for me to fit in some cottage cheese mixed with peanut butter before bed but I want a PB&J with a glass of milk or some cake. Trying to figure out what triggers that sensation.

naturalguy
08-08-2014, 08:07 AM
Why don't you just fit it into your daily cals/macros if you enjoy eating it that much?

Not everyone is disciplined enough to stop eating those foods to make them fit. Some people are better off avoiding them altogether.

As far as can you be addicted to certain foods, science says it's possible:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/24/magazine/the-extraordinary-science-of-junk-food.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1

Stealth12
08-08-2014, 08:27 AM
I run because military. They dont test you for anything but situps, pullups, 3mi run. Does the program matter? Do you want to know my reps and sets? I feel we may be getting off topic. My question was related to why I crave 'sweets' and nothing else. It would be easier for me to fit in some cottage cheese mixed with peanut butter before bed but I want a PB&J with a glass of milk or some cake. Trying to figure out what triggers that sensation.

A bit of a bandade solution maybe, but there are plenty of substitutions for desserts that are lower in calories and/or sugar, in many places including this sites recipe articles. e.g. Homemade Protein Icecream, or make Greek yogurt mixed with protein powder and then freeze...Both higher in protein, and lower in overall calories, making it easier to fit into your macros.

shesprints
08-08-2014, 08:42 AM
At your stats you should not be cutting on 2,000 calories a day. That is a huge deficit. Your TDEE is almost surely above 3,000 assuming a rough estimate RMR of 1800 and a high activity factor. So that might be your issue right there... ESPECIALLY since you are doing performance-focused training. Do you really want to weaken yourself or risk muscle mass, strength, and health? At 2,000 calories per day you'd be losing upwards of 2 lbs a week--either that or your measurements are off.

devilbones
08-08-2014, 08:58 AM
At your stats you should not be cutting on 2,000 calories a day. That is a huge deficit. Your TDEE is almost surely above 3,000 assuming a rough estimate RMR of 1800 and a high activity factor. So that might be your issue right there... ESPECIALLY since you are doing performance-focused training. Do you really want to weaken yourself or risk muscle mass, strength, and health? At 2,000 calories per day you'd be losing upwards of 2 lbs a week--either that or your measurements are off.

I calculated my TDEE to be about 2500. I took off 20% and thats where I got the 2000. I notice that I am losing about 1lb/week but I have increased my water intake a bunch. I will try to add about 300 cals of carbs and see if that fixes my situation. I think I was more curious as to why I crave the sweets and not the savory stuff. Thanks all for the replies.

Follix
08-08-2014, 09:05 AM
Cals - 2,000
Carbs - 100
Fat -89
Protein - 200

Protein are unnecessarily high, you could easily get away with 150g, just saying...

bigperm0107
08-08-2014, 11:58 AM
Not sure if I am going to get flamed for saying this but at least for me I noticed that on days I would drink diet soda I would eat all kinds of crap. I would have mad sugar cravings and find myself baking shet in my house with the sweet items that I had on hand(pretty limited amount of items since I am or was a sugar addict). On the days I wouldn't drink it then I wouldn't crave that stuff. I have stopped drinking soda and drink just water now and all the cravings are gone. I also try to get some fruits in as much as possible because I have heard that they can kill the sugar cravings too.

devilbones
08-08-2014, 12:03 PM
After thinking about this all day at work I sped home and had to make some. My son had the rest of the milk in cereal so I took it away from him and poured it through the coffee filter to get the Lucky Charms out. I dont feel bad and I think I am going to take the day off from the gym. Thanks guys.
http://i57.tinypic.com/jjtder.jpg

TheMadPhysicist
08-08-2014, 12:37 PM
I appreciate all you've written however, if you're not either cutting or bulking then you are swimming against the tide. Somewhat enjoying the byproducts of 'fitness' and engaging dormant muscles. Therefore, sugars and cravings for fat are negligible and least of your concerns. That's why I asked about you're programme. Ironically, progressively overloading on heavy compound, chest press for example, will make press ups hell a lot easier. There is a reason most bodybuilding programmes don't incorporate cardio.

devilbones
08-08-2014, 12:45 PM
I appreciate all you've written however, if you're not either cutting or bulking then you are swimming against the tide. Somewhat enjoying the byproducts of 'fitness' and engaging dormant muscles. Therefore, sugars and cravings for fat are negligible and least of your concerns. That's why I asked about you're programme. Ironically, progressively overloading on heavy compound, chest press for example, will make press ups hell a lot easier. There is a reason most bodybuilding programmes don't incorporate cardio.
I dont get what your trying to say here, it kinda sounds like its impossible to stay at maintenance? I wouldnt consider my routine a traditional bodybuilding routine and that is why I was asking you if it mattered. I never indicated that I didnt do any type of progressive overload. Right now I am cutting because after my last bulk I have some extra fat around my belly. While my weight is perfectly normal there are some standards that you cannot look like a sack of hammered a$sholes while in uniform. Because its impossible to target the area to lose fat, I have been cutting.

XCRunner9
08-08-2014, 12:47 PM
Why not incorporate some of the sweets you like into your diet? It's not eve necessary to restrict yourself from the foods you love and that could be causing dem cravings.

Just my two cents.

n0useforaname
08-08-2014, 01:14 PM
I know you want to know why... but not sure there is an easy answer. Why do some people like coke over pepsi? Or why do some people love fruit over veggies and vice versa? I really wouldn't worry about it if it's not affecting your job/goals/etc.. The other day I went home and had a bacon/ranch chicken wrap and then pounded about 800 cals worth of ice cream because I felt like eating it, and not veggies/fruit/etc... Sometimes you just gotta live life and eat what you want.

InItForFitness
08-08-2014, 04:19 PM

I would argue that you do not seem to be addicted to sugar. First of all, cake with Cool Whip and ice cream is primarily high in fat, as well as sugar. I doubt you were getting the shakes so hard you upended a bowl of pure table sugar into your mouth, correct?

Yes, there are some hyper-palatable foods that can induce us to eat more or crave them, but the addiction model with regards to any type of food doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. That's just my two cents.

I think a lot of the 'addiction' people may feel around food is more behavioral than biochemical or related to the food--that is, it's more about YOU and your attitude toward food than the food itself. It seems like you have a rather rigid black-and-white mindset about what you eat, labeling it 'good' and 'bad.' Human beings don't respond well to harsh, strict guidelines. We tend to rebel.

I mean, if anything, you could work on improving the QUALITY of your treats, perhaps. Like, Cool Whip is kind of problematic because it's hydrogenated oil, so maybe not ideal (I mean, it won't kill you, but it's not good for you). If the cherries are maraschino cherrie, I mean... c'mon, you know that isn't ideal. Why not have a piece of cake made with butter, flour, sugar, cocoa powder, and some real fresh cherries? Seriously, how is that so bad, if it fits your macros (which should be a range anyway, not exact)? What about taking some pleasure in life? That's not a sin. We're not Calvinists or Puritans here. I mean, I'm not, IDK about the rest of you.

Perhaps you are craving sweets because you aren't eating enough carbohydrate throughout the day. I used to get sweets cravings when I restricted carbs. Why would it be 'better' to eat steak before bed than cake? I would feel ill and perform poorly if I ate a large steak instead of a carb-heavy bedtime snack, since I only require 85 of protein a day but do best on 400g of carbs. You are a fit guy, so you may actually be moderately able to trust your physical cravings. If you don't crave protein and fat you may not need more protein and fat. What are your macros and general level of activity/type of exercise?

Overtraining also leads to sugar cravings. I just don't think it's 'addiction.' If you are overdoing cardio and not refueling properly (as many who try to use it to 'burn off calories' do), it only becomes a vicious cycle.

TFW you come into a thread expecting to have to lay down the 'Food Relationship' speech and find out shesprints is already in thread :o

OP, ANYTHING + EVERYTHING you need is in the posts quoted above.
Listen to the advice she is providing, not just in regards to your food relationship, but also with your overall dietary outline.

devilbones
08-08-2014, 06:22 PM
TFW you come into a thread expecting to have to lay down the 'Food Relationship' speech and find out shesprints is already in thread :o

OP, ANYTHING + EVERYTHING you need is in the posts quoted above.
Listen to the advice she is providing, not just in regards to your food relationship, but also with your overall dietary outline.
Instead of going to the gym and running today I ate cake & ice cream and played video games. I went to Five Guys for dinner and took a nap. I like this way better. Not sure how this evolved into this. I thought my question was pretty simple. Why do I crave sugar and not savory? Turns out I have an ED, am doing all the wrong routines and I should feel better about myself.

:)

InItForFitness
08-08-2014, 06:57 PM
Instead of going to the gym and running today I ate cake & ice cream and played video games. I went to Five Guys for dinner and took a nap. I like this way better. Not sure how this evolved into this. I thought my question was pretty simple. Why do I crave sugar and not savory? Turns out I have an ED, am doing all the wrong routines and I should feel better about myself.

Welcome to the 'Nutrition Section' my friend :p

In all seriousness, it's highly unlikely you are to that much of an extreme, but there is always the potential for future problems or development of eating/body disorders that could cause harm.
That's why we offer the advice we do.

We're not necessarily saying you're there, but there is potential, and it's better to realize it before hand.

The basic takeaway here is that there's no need to cut out foods to see results.
Like with anything else, just do some moderation, common sense, and self control and you should be alright.

gansi1
08-08-2014, 06:59 PM

You are not addicted to sugar. Nor do you have an eating disorder. You are using the "eating disorder" excuse to somehow mask your weakness and lack of willpower and justify the poor choices that you blame yourself for making. Labeling whatever you feel may be causing you to break down and have a guilt-inducing dessert at the end of the day is a poor attempt at shifting the blame from a controllable one to something that you believe you cannot control.

The elevated serotonin rush that you associate with the feeling of pleasure when satisfying your cravings is not a disorder. Not yet, at least. It is, at best, laziness. Like others in the thread have said, unless you look in the mirror and own up to your dietary choices, change will not happen. If you want to change, stop giving up and make it happen.