PDA

View Full Version : Fats/Statins/Vit k2 presentation help and advice!

LegacyH
08-01-2014, 10:40 AM
Hi all

I am a student curreently studying nutrition and will be given an assignment where I must give a 15 minute presentation (yes, not very long) on a subject of my choice infornt of my class.

My question is this. What do you think would be a more interesting presentation idea;

Statins - Talk about what they do and whether they actually work.

Saturated Fats - Are they as unhealthy as people make out?/Their role in Heart disease?

Vitamin K2 - Vitamin k2 deficiencies/marker for health and links to atherosclerosis

Everyone in my class thinks saturated fats are bad, including some lecturers, and i dont agree with that opinion. I am also interested in Statins and vitamin k2 and have done some degree of research into all of these topics.

I want to make this a great presentation and wondered what may be the most interesting topic?

Any thoughts or contributions would be great, as well as any information you may have on any of these areas

Thanks!!

cumminslifter
08-01-2014, 11:25 AM
i think saturated fat would be of most interest to people

zaazaa16
08-01-2014, 11:36 AM
hey man! i think the saturated fat is an interesting subject because a lot of people think that they are bad so they should be eliminated completely from their diet.

jp973156
08-01-2014, 05:34 PM
Saturated fat for sure. You can talk about the Ancel Keys scandal it would blow everyone's mind.

nicholina
08-02-2014, 05:19 AM
Statins for sure. Look into how artificially lowering cholesterol numbers for the sake of having better numbers on paper unintentionally disrupts other biological processes in the body. You could also look at why cholesterol is necessary for the body to function on a cellular level

LegacyH
08-02-2014, 10:24 AM
hey man! i think the saturated fat is an interesting subject because a lot of people think that they are bad so they should be eliminated completely from their diet.

Saturated fat for sure. You can talk about the Ancel Keys scandal it would blow everyone's mind.

I agree, there's alot of interesting information, Ancel Keys definitely being a major part of all of that. my only concern is whether, due to my enthusiasm, I would be able to fit all that information into a short power point.

Statins for sure. Look into how artificially lowering cholesterol numbers for the sake of having better numbers on paper unintentionally disrupts other biological processes in the body. You could also look at why cholesterol is necessary for the body to function on a cellular level

Couldn't have put it better nicholina. I personally believe Statins are something everyone should be aware of, particularly with new recommendations being set which could have children as young as 8 years old being prescribed them which is just terrible.

Once again, my concern for statins however is whether or not i could fit in anything about how they stemmed from the belief that saturated fats increased cholesterol which in turn increased risk of CVD. As a result lifestyle changes pushed by doctors prescribing these drugs often include reducing saturated fat intake.

Thank you for your replies so far, i am currently gathering information on all topics until I make a final decision!

mikeyvee123
08-02-2014, 04:59 PM
Saturated Fats. Just quote Taubes all day long.

nicholina
08-03-2014, 06:30 AM
I agree, there's alot of interesting information, Ancel Keys definitely being a major part of all of that. my only concern is whether, due to my enthusiasm, I would be able to fit all that information into a short power point.

Couldn't have put it better nicholina. I personally believe Statins are something everyone should be aware of, particularly with new recommendations being set which could have children as young as 8 years old being prescribed them which is just terrible.

Once again, my concern for statins however is whether or not i could fit in anything about how they stemmed from the belief that saturated fats increased cholesterol which in turn increased risk of CVD. As a result lifestyle changes pushed by doctors prescribing these drugs often include reducing saturated fat intake.

Thank you for your replies so far, i am currently gathering information on all topics until I make a final decision!

Or, even more interesting would be how perpetuating the belief that dietary cholesterol restriction was necessary to correct numbers and how this affected health, along with low fat diet recommendations. You will get points for being able to differentiate dietary saturated fats and cholesterol :)