PDA

View Full Version : Macros for lean bulking?

alexamaemills
07-30-2014, 11:03 AM
Hi everyone-
I am 20 years old, about 5'2" 110 pounds on average and approximately 16-18% body fat. I'm an intermediate fitness level, but just recently decided to get very into lean bulking. I would like to gain muscle/lose a little belly fat without gaining fat. I've been doing HIIT cardio 5 days a week, 20-30 mins each workout. I've been also lifting 5-6 days a week. I guess you could say I'm a recovering "clean eater". For 1-2 years I've consumed probably 1000-1200 calories max per day, with one binge/cheat meal per week. Most of my meals consisted of fruit/almond milk smoothies, apples, peanut butter, luna bars, and chicken. For the last 2 weeks, I've been following loosely the macros given to me from an online calculator: 1878 cals- 44 fat, 118 protein, 250 carbs. I've been eating a lot of protein oats, Greek yogurt, turkey sandwiches, chicken wraps on flatout, quest bars, baked sweet potato fries, egg sandwiches, peanut butter, etc. Lots of things inspired from fitfam on Instagram. However everyone is different and it is surely too early to see results but I'm just worried this is inaccurate and would like another opinion (without spending $200 on a personalized program). Does anybody have a professional or personal opinion for an iifym diet based on this info? Help would be much appreciated.

vanillabn
07-30-2014, 11:21 AM
Well, first of all, you can't really gain muscle without putting on *any* fat. It's impossible. To bulk, you simply need to eat a calorie surplus. To keep fat gains minimal, you'll want to eat at only 100-200 calories above your maintenance level. Keep in mind that women can only gain about 0.5 lb of muscle per month. However, you'll need to accept the fact that SOME fat gain is going to happen. This isn't too much of a concern because losing fat afterwards is a lot easier than putting on the muscle to begin with.

As for a IIFYM diet, I'm not totally sure what you're asking, because that's the whole point of it, is that you need to stick to a certain calorie level / macro breakdown consistently. If you're doing this, it doesn't matter the specific foods you're eating. Obviously from a health standpoint you want to focus more on nutritionally-dense foods, however the concept of 'clean' is outdated and also doesn't have a solid definition.

alexamaemills
07-30-2014, 11:26 AM
Well, first of all, you can't really gain muscle without putting on *any* fat. It's impossible. To bulk, you simply need to eat a calorie surplus. To keep fat gains minimal, you'll want to eat at only 100-200 calories above your maintenance level. Keep in mind that women can only gain about 0.5 lb of muscle per month. However, you'll need to accept the fact that SOME fat gain is going to happen. This isn't too much of a concern because losing fat afterwards is a lot easier than putting on the muscle to begin with.

As for a IIFYM diet, I'm not totally sure what you're asking, because that's the whole point of it, is that you need to stick to a certain calorie level / macro breakdown consistently. If you're doing this, it doesn't matter the specific foods you're eating (although obviously from a health standpoint you want to focus more on nutritiously-denser foods). However, the concept of 'clean' is outdated and also doesn't have a solid definition.

What I'm asking is if anyone has an accurate macros count as to what someone with my size/activity level/goals should be consuming. How many grams of fat, protein, carbs? If the counts I listed were accurate, I will stick with them. However, I'm not quite sure an online calculator is 100% correct, which is why I asked for a human opinion.

Anaerobics
07-30-2014, 11:28 AM
What I'm asking is if anyone has an accurate macros count as to what someone with my size/activity level/goals should be consuming. How many grams of fat, protein, carbs? If the counts I listed were accurate, I will stick with them. However, I'm not quite sure an online calculator is 100% correct, which is why I asked for a human opinion.
Read the stickies in the nutrition section. All you need to know is simple math and you can do it for yourself. Trust me, it helps in the long run. Determine your TDEE and work your way from there.

vanillabn
07-30-2014, 11:53 AM

Got it :)

Here's the link to the nutrition sticky that anaerobics referenced:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=156380533

As a rule, you want to eat a minimum of .4 g fat per lb of bodyweight, 1g protein per lb and the rest in carbs, or more protein+fat (discretionary cals) to meet your calorie goal.

Once you establish an estimate as to your maintenance level, I'd set your cals to 100-200 above that, and make sure you're tracking really well. You'll be able to judge from the scale after a couple weeks. If it's going up slowly you're on the right track :)

oregonchick76
07-30-2014, 02:15 PM
What I'm asking is if anyone has an accurate macros count as to what someone with my size/activity level/goals should be consuming. How many grams of fat, protein, carbs? If the counts I listed were accurate, I will stick with them. However, I'm not quite sure an online calculator is 100% correct, which is why I asked for a human opinion.1g of protein and .4g fat per lb of body weight, the rest of your calories in carbs. Eat enough to gain 1-2 lbs per month. For a 'lean' bulk, aim for the 1 lb per month gain.

aguaintegral
08-01-2014, 03:30 PM

As for a IIFYM diet, I'm not totally sure what you're asking, because that's the whole point of it, is that you need to stick to a certain calorie level / macro breakdown consistently. If you're doing this, it doesn't matter the specific foods you're eating. Obviously from a health standpoint you want to focus more on nutritionally-dense foods, however the concept of 'clean' is outdated and also doesn't have a solid definition.

Hello, Im starting little by little to lifting weights, because I never did exercise. Its a slow progress because my muscle are week, but Im feeling they are responding very well and feeling stronger each day. I dont know if is advised for me to do cardio, I have 30% fat but almost no muscle, and I look very slim. Should cardio be indicated for me? I want to get rid of my fat, when Im sited I have a big stomach fat (when Im up, stomach fat became hidden because of my slim figure.