PDA

View Full Version : Pasta

IGOTGAMBLE
07-29-2014, 09:14 PM
So i used to be like 210lbs, but now im down to like 190lbs and have gained a lot of muscle during this period. (so i lost 20lbs of fat or more).

I did this by basically reducing my carbs/sugar intake. I've been avoiding pasta/rice/bread everywhere i go.

Now i love pasta, and recently just bought a kitchenaid stand mixer with pasta attachments so i can make pasta at home. I'm just wondering though if pasta is bad for you, and if u can buy the best possible ingredients (money is no issue) what's the healthiest way to make pasta? (i.e what type of flour is healthiest).

thanks!

so again,

1) what pasta bad for you? (cause u to gain fat/screw up your insulin)
2) what type of flour is best/healthiest
3) im trying to cut not bulk.

Follix
07-29-2014, 09:21 PM
Make yourself a huge favor and read the stickies...

FYI: Pasta or any other specific food doesn't make you fat... A sustained caloric surplus will.

IGOTGAMBLE
07-29-2014, 09:25 PM
Make yourself a huge favor and read the stickies...

FYI: Pasta or any other specific food doesn't make you fat... A sustained caloric surplus will.

yeah i know this but carbs in general contain more calories than any other food group.

ErikTheElectric
07-29-2014, 09:29 PM
So i used to be like 210lbs, but now im down to like 190lbs and have gained a lot of muscle during this period. (so i lost 20lbs of fat or more).

I did this by basically reducing my carbs/sugar intake. I've been avoiding pasta/rice/bread everywhere i go.

Now i love pasta, and recently just bought a kitchenaid stand mixer with pasta attachments so i can make pasta at home. I'm just wondering though if pasta is bad for you, and if u can buy the best possible ingredients (money is no issue) what's the healthiest way to make pasta? (i.e what type of flour is healthiest).

thanks!

so again,

1) what pasta bad for you? (cause u to gain fat/screw up your insulin)
2) what type of flour is best/healthiest
3) im trying to cut not bulk.

Incorrect. You did the bolded, because you ate less.

1. Pasta isn't "bad for you" infact, no food is inherently "bad for you" and causes you to "gain fat".
2. Same as above ^, There's no such thing as "healthiest/best" food(s)
3. You can still eat pasta and cut.

MetilHed
07-29-2014, 09:34 PM
yeah i know this but carbs in general contain more calories than any other food group.

Say what ?

ErikTheElectric
07-29-2014, 09:35 PM
Say what ?http://i1276.photobucket.com/albums/y461/Eriktheelectric/Notable%20pictures/meme_zpsb562c9d3.jpg (http://s1276.photobucket.com/user/Eriktheelectric/media/Notable%20pictures/meme_zpsb562c9d3.jpg.html)

IGOTGAMBLE
07-29-2014, 09:38 PM
Incorrect. You did the bolded, because you ate less.

1. Pasta isn't "bad for you" infact, no food is inherently "bad for you" and causes you to "gain fat".
2. Same as above ^, There's no such thing as "healthiest/best" food(s)
3. You can still eat pasta and cut.

well, firstly i love pasta.

secondly. its calorically dense (this is not up for debate). It is bad for you because it causes insulin resistance which is responsible for fat storage. I did not eat "less" during this period. in fact i ate more. But instead of eating pasta i would have 2 steaks. I would eat mcdonalds every night and throw out the buns. My diet was high in fat but i monitored my insulin levels and thus loss weight. Some people consider this ketotic but i would cheat every so often that i was never even close to ketotic at any point.

Of course i can still eat pasta and cut but i want to know if anyone here has any suggestions for what pasta they eat... Does grinding your own flour make it any healthier (not saying im willing to do this)?

Follix
07-29-2014, 10:05 PM
secondly. its calorically dense (this is not up for debate). It is bad for you because it causes insulin resistance which is responsible for fat storage. I did not eat "less" during this period. in fact i ate more. But instead of eating pasta i would have 2 steaks. I would eat mcdonalds every night and throw out the buns. My diet was high in fat but i monitored my insulin levels and thus loss weight. Some people consider this ketotic but i would cheat every so often that i was never even close to ketotic at any point.

Insulin doesn't cause fat storage, eating an excess of calories does... Also, ''calories dense'' is not an argument; control your portions.

Caezar07
07-29-2014, 10:31 PM
False. Gram for gram, fat contains the most calories. This doesn't mean you should avoid fats.

It can be easy to overeat processed carbs (which are usually paired with calorie dense fats), but this doesn't make them bad for you, healthy, or unhealthy. By avoiding carbs, you are simply avoiding processed/calorie dense foods like french fries, burgers, chips, pop, and so on and so forth, and when you do that, it makes it pretty easy to lose weight.

Avoiding carbs as a whole is irrational because that means you'd also be avoiding carbs that contain vital micronutrients that you can get from fruit and veggies.

As long as you eat at least some whole foods, maintain a healthy weight, and an active lifestyle, there is very little you can do to make yourself unhealthy besides smoking cigarettes or doing certain drugs excessively.

As far as weight maintenance, it's 99% about calories in vs. calories out.

loganhart
07-29-2014, 10:33 PM

Of course i can still eat pasta and cut but i want to know if anyone here has any suggestions for what pasta they eat... Does grinding your own flour make it any healthier (not saying im willing to do this)?

Tempted to neg.

ErikTheElectric
07-29-2014, 10:33 PM

Too many cringe worthy things to even mention.

IGOTGAMBLE
07-29-2014, 10:38 PM
Insulin doesn't cause fat storage, eating an excess of calories does... Also, ''calories dense'' is not an argument; control your portions.

so you're saying insulin isnt the hormone that is responsible for fat regulation? lol. im done responding to you sir.

False. Gram for gram, fat contains the most calories. This doesn't mean you should avoid fats.

It can be easy to overeat processed carbs (which are usually paired with calorie dense fats), but this doesn't make them bad for you, healthy, or unhealthy. By avoiding carbs, you are simply avoiding processed/calorie dense foods like french fries, burgers, chips, pop, and so on and so forth, and when you do that, it makes it pretty easy to lose weight.

Avoiding carbs as a whole is irrational because that means you'd also be avoiding carbs that contain vital micronutrients that you can get from fruit and veggies.

As long as you eat at least some whole foods, maintain a healthy weight, and an active lifestyle, there is very little you can do to make yourself unhealthy.

yes you're correct fats are more calorically dense. In fact i eat a LOT of fat. Obviously theres a difference between eating steel cut oatmeal and french fries- they're both carbs but one is refined/processed. I never said i avoid carbs, every food has carbs in it, but the amount of grams i've been eating has been lowered a lot.
I'm just wondering if people have any suggestions of unrefined flour or certain flour they feel is healthiest when it comes to making pasta.

i want to up my pasta intake cuz i like eating pasta.

Caezar07
07-29-2014, 10:44 PM
yes you're correct fats are more calorically dense. In fact i eat a LOT of fat. Obviously theres a difference between eating steel cut oatmeal and french fries- they're both carbs but one is refined/processed. I never said i avoid carbs, every food has carbs in it, but the amount of grams i've been eating has been lowered a lot.
I'm just wondering if people have any suggestions of unrefined flour or certain flour they feel is healthiest when it comes to making pasta.

i want to up my pasta intake cuz i like eating pasta.To your point OP, pasta may be calorie dense, and satiety can play a part in weight gain/loss, but on the most basic level, when you take satiety out of the picture, it's still about calories in vs. calories out. And as far as your body's response to carbs, there have been studies comparing white rice to brown rice, white bread to wheat bread, and white pasta to whole grain pasta and there is negligible difference in the way it affects insulin response. (Although I did read something once about cooking pasta/rice to a point where it's not all the way done and so your body takes longer to digest it, therefore keeping your insulin levels more even, but this sounds like hippie talk to me. Maybe you would want to look into that?)

If you really want "healthier" carbs, you'll have to look away from pasta which doesn't contain much micronutrients besides a tiny bit of fiber, and eat more fruit and veggies.

Just my $0.02 I'm still learning here.

viccles007
07-29-2014, 10:56 PM

Then eat it mate!

failnever21
07-30-2014, 01:09 AM

Insulin does cause fat storage, along with storing amino acids and creating glycogen in the liver. Your body is constantly storing and burning energy.
However net gains of fat only occur in a caloric surplus.

xcountryrunner
07-30-2014, 04:03 AM
I have pasta probably around 3x a week, with nice creamy sauce and cheese. I am a fat **** tho so i dont think its a good idea. NOT SRS. Make it fit your macros..

digistp
07-30-2014, 04:19 AM
suggestions of unrefined flourthis is an oxymoron

jubjubrsx
07-30-2014, 04:49 AM
might try cutting it with other things? at the asian mart I recently picked up some sweet potato pasta....was pretty good.

nicholina
07-30-2014, 05:04 AM

secondly. its calorically dense (this is not up for debate). It is bad for you because it causes insulin resistance which is responsible for fat storage.
Pasta does not cause insulin resistance. Having sustained hyperinsulinemia over an extended period of time is what leads the body to become resistant to insulin. You can eat pasta (made of any flour you want) in the context of an otherwise properly planned diet and not become insulin resistant or gain fat.

Second, your statement that pasta is "calorie dense" is not logical. Calorie dense compared to what? lettuce? Butter? What defines a calorie dense food? And it doesnt matter anyways without context or without considering the diet as a whole.

I also think its interesting that you are concerned with finding the most "healthy, unrefined" flour with which to make your own pasta, but have no problem eating McDonalds EVERYNIGHT (probably the most processed meat I can think of), and you have no concern regarding this because you threw out the buns. The lack of rational thought displayed here is mind boggling.

Nole92
07-30-2014, 05:12 AM
Just eat it, just look up at the calories.

shesprints
07-30-2014, 05:13 AM

LOL LOL LOL

No.

Carbs contain 4 calories per gram. In fact, FIBER (a type of carbohydrate) has between 0-2 calories per gram.

Fat contains 9 calories per gram. So if we're talking calorie density...

Eat pasta if you want to eat it! It's absolutely possible to consume higher carbs on a cut if are relatively metabolically normal. Try it and see how your body reacts. Like others have said, read the d@mn stickies.

Just eat pasta in moderation, preferably as part of a balanced meal. Avoiding a single food group is not sustainable as a way of life, especially since carbs are generally beneficial for training and will help you prevent muscle loss on a cut. They replenish your glycogen stores, lift your mood, and can help you attain stable energy levels. (Carbs are also 'protein-sparing', i.e. the more you eat the less protein you need).

I would say that you should avoid too much pure sugar that is not contained in fruits and vegetables, but some is fine--no more than 10% of your daily calories is a good idea in terms of added sugar.

ETA: By the way, if you have radically cut carbs, I expect that a good 5lbs of your 20lbs lost was water. Carbohydrate causes your muscles to hold more water, so you weigh more (without fat gain) when you increase carb intake. That increase would not be fat. I say thsi because I'm so tired of people coming in and freaking out that they gained 7 lbs 'overnight' and it's the 'evil carbs.' No... it's your muscles filling up with useable fuel.

ETA 2: You can make pasta out of a LOT of types of flour. Experiment! I suggest going to a local gourmet grocery. I've seen spinach powder and tomato powder, chestnut flour (which goes great in gnocchi), etc. Soy flour has a strangely delicious taste. I would stick to a base of semolina flour for most pasta for textural reasons, but you could add up to 1/2 by weight of another flour and see what happens.

bennmuz
07-30-2014, 05:26 AM
so you're saying insulin isnt the hormone that is responsible for fat regulation? lol. im done responding to you sir.

Read the stickies and educate yourself my friend because you seem to know nothing about the basic aspects of nutrition.

Robsolutely
07-30-2014, 05:40 AM
Read the stickies and educate yourself my friend because you seem to know nothing about the basic aspects of nutrition.

^This.

Everything you said is basically up for huge debate OP; simply because you're wrong. Please avoid repeating (especially in an authoritative manner) any notions you may currently have about nutrition. Learn things the correct way this time around. Read the bolded stickies in the Nutrition forum.

Connor1226
07-30-2014, 05:52 AM
I guess that depends on what your definition of healthy is.
Over all there isn't anything unhealthy about pasta. I think it is a good carb to consume.
The only health issues I see with it are:
-Over consuming carbs in general
-Not consuming a high portion of carbs with proteins and some fats (blood sugar regulation).
-Consuming gluten based products if you have problems with gluten.

I see zero need to make your own pasta for any other reason than you enjoy to or you really want to embrace the clean eating lifestyle as much as possible and want to control better of how your food is processed.

I think to make the blanket statement that pasta is bad for you is ignorant.

1) No pasta is inherently bad for you. If you don't over consume calories you won't gain weight, period. No food makes you gain weight.
2) There is a flour that is bad for you?

TailEnd
07-30-2014, 05:59 AM
I guess that depends on what your definition of healthy is.

-Not consuming a high portion of carbs with proteins and some fats (blood sugar regulation).

Why would I need to consume a "high portion" of carbs?

2005 called, they want their advice back.

Robsolutely
07-30-2014, 06:00 AM
I see zero need to make your own pasta for any other reason than you enjoy to or you really want to embrace the clean eating lifestyle as much as possible and want to control better of how your food is processed.

The reason people (and good restaurants) make their own pasta is because it results in better flavor and texture. You're creating something of higher quality with no preservatives.

You also have the freedom to use more expensive ingredients, create your own fillings, and manipulate the pasta into any shape you desire, e.g. agnolotti, ravioli, linguine, etc.

TypeNirvash
07-30-2014, 06:03 AM

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view3/2294207/kelso-burn-o.gif

bambam601
07-30-2014, 06:09 AM

secondly. its calorically dense (this is not up for debate).

It is bad for you because it causes insulin resistance which is responsible for fat storage.

I would eat mcdonalds every night and throw out the buns.

My diet was high in fat but i monitored my insulin levels and thus loss weight.

Obviously theres a difference between eating steel cut oatmeal and french fries- they're both carbs but one is refined/processed.

http://www.reactiongifs.com/r/f-p.gif

Mdenatale
07-30-2014, 06:13 AM

I think he meant you don't want to consume a large carb load without fat or protein in the mix in order to prevent a blood sugar spike. The whole thing about balancing out GI with a mix of foods.

Follix
07-30-2014, 06:40 AM

I am saying that without an energy surplus, you won't store fat. That's basic thermodynamic.

chasecohen
07-30-2014, 07:01 AM
I do see the point OP was trying to make when he said pasta is calorie dense. E.g. 100g of pasta ~350 cals, whereas, 300g of broccoli is ~100 cals for way more volume. So cutting out pasta or replacing it with veggies saved him hundreds of calories a day, putting him in a deficit when he lost weight.

OP, if you're still hungry even when fitting pasta into your macros/diet, consider alternatives like "butternut squash spaghetti".

Or if you want to make pasta with less calories yourself, you could cut back when making the pastry. For example, using skimmed or soya light milk, more egg whites instead of full eggs. Note, I've never tried it myself and I'm pretty sure it's the fat in the normal ingredients which makes pasta with better taste/texture.

shesprints
07-30-2014, 08:16 AM
I do see the point OP was trying to make when he said pasta is calorie dense. E.g. 100g of pasta ~350 cals, whereas, 300g of broccoli is ~100 cals for way more volume. So cutting out pasta or replacing it with veggies saved him hundreds of calories a day, putting him in a deficit when he lost weight.

OP, if you're still hungry even when fitting pasta into your macros/diet, consider alternatives like "butternut squash spaghetti".

Or if you want to make pasta with less calories yourself, you could cut back when making the pastry. For example, using skimmed or soya light milk, more egg whites instead of full eggs. Note, I've never tried it myself and I'm pretty sure it's the fat in the normal ingredients which makes pasta with better taste/texture.

I think you mean spaghetti squash 'spaghetti'? That makes me sad, though. That is not spaghetti.

Why not just toss your pasta with a lighter sauce? Tomato-based sauces are VERY low in calories and high in nutrients and taste great. Add a little seafood for protein (seafood is very low-cal too, and a good source of protein). Or maybe a little parmesan; it's a strong flavor, so I find I don't need more than half an ounce or so on a nice pasta primavera to be satisfied. I can easily create a pasta meal of 500-800 calories.

Or see my sig for a great recipe book. ;)

bambam601
07-30-2014, 08:48 AM
I think you mean spaghetti squash 'spaghetti'? That makes me sad, though. That is not spaghetti.

to be fair, he already stated it wasn't spaghetti. he said it was an alternative.
and there's nothing wrong with spaghetti squash, i actually enjoy it.

jp973156
07-30-2014, 09:54 AM
In response to your specific questions:

1) None per se unless you have celiac's disease perhaps.
2) For homemade pasta I prefer semolina with cage-free eggs.
3) I ate homemade pasta about once a week made on my Kitchenaid.

Tip: Through veggies in your pasta dough for added fiber e.g., spinach works wonders.

welshdale
07-30-2014, 11:00 AM
I look at it this way, I find pasta and rice to be a very clean and good quality carbohydrate there are many others that are not as good as them so as long as your not have a shed full I can see how they would be bad for you, not sure wether its me but I find I had a good pump off pasta too (y)

nicholina
07-30-2014, 12:04 PM
I look at it this way, I find pasta and rice to be a very clean and good quality carbohydrate there are many others that are not as good as them........but I find I had a good pump off pasta too (y)

What? Please stop

loganhart
07-30-2014, 01:30 PM
I look at it this way, I find pasta and rice to be a very clean and good quality carbohydrate there are many others that are not as good as them so as long as your not have a shed full I can see how they would be bad for you, not sure wether its me but I find I had a good pump off pasta too (y)

When I lived in Asia I always rinsed my rice 3 times before putting it in the cooker, it was quite dirty. You have to boil spaghetti so it should be clean once it's cooked.

*sighhhh*

IGOTGAMBLE
07-30-2014, 01:49 PM

Why not just toss your pasta with a lighter sauce? Tomato-based sauces are VERY low in calories and high in nutrients and taste great. Add a little seafood for protein (seafood is very low-cal too, and a good source of protein). Or maybe a little parmesan; it's a strong flavor, so I find I don't need more than half an ounce or so on a nice pasta primavera to be satisfied. I can easily create a pasta meal of 500-800 calories.

Or see my sig for a great recipe book. ;)

^^ bingo pretty much. I hate these videos i see of people making this zucchini pasta and suggesting i eat it cuz it tastes like pasta... or people who meal prep and say omg this is such good food. no. it is crap. @chasecohen thanks for the suggestions though- u did understand the point i was trying to make. If you eat Xg of pasta a day it will turn out to be Y calories. For that same Y calories- u can have a crazy amount of steak or a crazy amount of chicken. If u choose to eat such little amount of pasta over a nice perfectly cooked steak you are literally an idiot.

Now the whole point of this thread was to find out what people on here do to eat the best pasta possible (that is healthiest for u) without sacrificing taste. Today i bought quinoa flour and semolina flour and i plan to make my pasta from that. Tomato sauce im pretty sure i can just make a basic tasty tomato sauce without a problem.

Now im new to this cooking thing and didnt realize that theres so many types of flour. For pasta specifically is there anything better than quinoa flour? It was the most expensive flour i saw on the shelf so it must be good.

ErikTheElectric
07-30-2014, 01:50 PM
^^ bingo pretty much. I hate these videos i see of people making this zucchini pasta and suggesting i eat it cuz it tastes like pasta... or people who meal prep and say omg this is such good food. no. it is crap. @chasecohen thanks for the suggestions though- u did understand the point i was trying to make. If you eat Xg of pasta a day it will turn out to be Y calories. For that same Y calories- u can have a crazy amount of steak or a crazy amount of chicken. If u choose to eat such little amount of pasta over a nice perfectly cooked steak you are literally an idiot.

Now the whole point of this thread was to find out what people on here do to eat the best pasta possible (that is healthiest for u) without sacrificing taste. Today i bought quinoa flour and semolina flour and i plan to make my pasta from that. Tomato sauce im pretty sure i can just make a basic tasty tomato sauce without a problem.

Now im new to this cooking thing and didnt realize that theres so many types of flour. For pasta specifically is there anything better than quinoa flour? It was the most expensive flour i saw on the shelf so it must be good.

http://i1276.photobucket.com/albums/y461/Eriktheelectric/Notable%20pictures/Seinfeld-Leaving_zpsa345fe86.gif (http://s1276.photobucket.com/user/Eriktheelectric/media/Notable%20pictures/Seinfeld-Leaving_zpsa345fe86.gif.html)

Number27
07-30-2014, 02:02 PM
Give him a break we all we're this misinformed at one time. Well not THAT bad but damn I'm done some dumb stuff.

OP you realize that 350 cals is nothing right? If you want to use it on pasta then why the hell not? It tastes good so eat it. Yeah I can get 350 grams of brocoli for that much; you know how many egg whites that will net me?! Or how many bath tubs of sugar free jelly that would make?! Or how many oceans of Diet Dr pepper?

Volumization is a neat trick when you are craving QUANITY but if you are craving PASTA then that's a different story. I'm an eating machine and 100g of pasta does me well.

Also you are wasting your money you can buy pasta for like a 1 and a jar of sauce for 1

IGOTGAMBLE
07-30-2014, 02:23 PM
@Number27 yes im craving quantity.

I'm used to eating anything i want in whatever portions i want- until im full/dont feel like eating. I NEVER COUNT CALORIES. But i notice with pasta in particular its very tricky... since carbs are slower to digest and u wont get the sensation of feeling full as fast so u keep eating.

U go to any fine dining italian restaurant and order lobster ravioli... how many pieces they give u? like 6 pieces or something. Its ridiculous. I plan on eating like 3-5x that amount, if not more, and regularly as well. So the substitutions make a difference.

im not willing to up my gym time in order to eat more-- so i rather just make substitutions.

@Number27 yes im craving quantity. Of course if i just wanted to have pasta once a month i wouldnt even make this thread. I plan on having it weekly.

Number27
07-30-2014, 02:45 PM
@Number27 yes im craving quantity. I don't know how inclined you may be to take my advise but start counting calories. Save yourself all the depriving, guess work, potential guilt and setbacks and just get on Myfitnesspal, buy a tiny food scale (ten bucks) and track your stuff the best you can.

Bro eating very low calorie foods just to get some volume is all well and good but eating like a bodybuilder in contest prep year round will either have you giving it up or putting a pistol in your mouth.

I have pasta multiple times a week at times. Does me no harm. I know what goes in my body and the effects it will have on my body comp. Guess work isn't involved. You're putting more effort into making sure your guess work ends in your favor then you'd need to put in if you just counted the stuff.

Made my life easier. I eat what I want. Buying the best ingredients in the world and making it at the home won't change the effect it will have on your bodycomp relative to the quantity its eaten in. Also pro-tip: Eat it with some fats and protein like cheese and meat. It shouldn't have any reason not to fill you up. Like I said I can eat a buffet out of business and 100 grams does me justice.

IGOTGAMBLE
07-30-2014, 03:27 PM
I don't know how inclined you may be to take my advise but start counting calories. Save yourself all the depriving, guess work, potential guilt and setbacks and just get on Myfitnesspal, buy a tiny food scale (ten bucks) and track your stuff the best you can.

Bro eating very low calorie foods just to get some volume is all well and good but eating like a bodybuilder in contest prep year round will either have you giving it up or putting a pistol in your mouth.

I have pasta multiple times a week at times. Does me no harm. I know what goes in my body and the effects it will have on my body comp. Guess work isn't involved. You're putting more effort into making sure your guess work ends in your favor then you'd need to put in if you just counted the stuff.

Made my life easier. I eat what I want. Buying the best ingredients in the world and making it at the home won't change the effect it will have on your bodycomp relative to the quantity its eaten in. Also pro-tip: Eat it with some fats and protein like cheese and meat. It shouldn't have any reason not to fill you up. Like I said I can eat a buffet out of business and 100 grams does me justice.

well i appreciate the advice. But having to count calories and stuff seems like a hassle and i dont really want to do myfitnesspal. I am not looking to sacrifice anything in my diet. I eat tons of meat and cheese. I plan to start eating chocolate cake weekly and pasta like 2x a week (big servings).
I've been eating restaurant food for basically every meal for the last 7 years of my life (and no its not just mcdonalds usually i go to nice restaurants/bars) and now im going to start cooking my pasta. that's a huge step. I just plan on replicating whatever i get at the restaurants and i want to substitute for better ingredients and up the portion size so i can eat more.

Usually i eat until im full but its usually whole fooods that im eating anyways so my body can process that. and i exercise a decent amount so im fine. I think if i ate pasta everyday (which i could do i love pasta) i'd get fat. I dont do enough activity throughout the day where i can burn off that many calories.

jdawg26
07-30-2014, 05:32 PM
Eat whatever you want. Make it fit your macros. It's that simple.