PDA

View Full Version : Am I not eating enough??

amc2014
07-28-2014, 04:53 PM
I eat around 1500 to 1700 average. Around 120 grams of protein per day. I'm doing about an hour to hour 15 min of cardio every day along with weights. So I burn off about 700 through cardio alone. My trainer set this plan for me. I'm usually not too hungry during the day. But the problem is I will have days where I completely over eat. It's like I'll do so good for weeks and then just have a couple days where I'm ravenous. A friend told me I'm not eating enough regularly... But I'm not sure just how much to eat while still being able to lower my bf %. ( I'm 140 lbs 5ft8 ). Any insight would be great. This is really frustrating because I feel like the days where I over eat just ruins my progress....

kimm4
07-28-2014, 05:01 PM
I eat around 1500 to 1700 average. Around 120 grams of protein per day. I'm doing about an hour to hour 15 min of cardio every day along with weights. So I burn off about 700 through cardio alone. My trainer set this plan for me. I'm usually not too hungry during the day. But the problem is I will have days where I completely over eat. It's like I'll do so good for weeks and then just have a couple days where I'm ravenous. A friend told me I'm not eating enough regularly... But I'm not sure just how much to eat while still being able to lower my bf %. ( I'm 140 lbs 5ft8 ). Any insight would be great. This is really frustrating because I feel like the days where I over eat just ruins my progress....

What is your overall goal and why are you doing so much cardio?

Anyone would be hungry doing that much cardio.

amc2014
07-28-2014, 05:50 PM
What is your overall goal and why are you doing so much cardio?

Anyone would be hungry doing that much cardio.

I think I should definitely cut down the cardio as well. if I cut down the cardio should I then reduce calories? Overall I want to get down to around 15 % bf while maintain the muscle I have now. I guess I'm just not sure how much I should be eating everyday to be losing 1-2 pounds per week.

natnat5
07-28-2014, 05:55 PM

If you eat 1700 calories a day and burn off 700 of them doing cardio, then your body is only getting 1000 calories a day... which is several hundred calories below your BMR (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basal_metabolic_rate). Basically you aren't even getting enough calories for your body to function, so yes you are going to have days when you "over eat" because your body needs those calories.

Take a look at the nutrition sticky and calculate how many calories you need. Then eat like 100-200 less than that each day if you want to lose weight. If you're doing all that cardio, you need to eat to make up for it. If you just stopped doing cardio and kept lifting you would probably still lose fat and you won't have those binges.

kimm4
07-28-2014, 06:00 PM
I think I should definitely cut down the cardio as well. if I cut down the cardio should I then reduce calories? Overall I want to get down to around 15 % bf while maintain the muscle I have now. I guess I'm just not sure how much I should be eating everyday to be losing 1-2 pounds per week.

At your stats you don't have much to lose, so a 2 lb loss a week isn't realistic. Fat loss is a slow process. You want to focus on preserving muscle first and losing bodyfat second. You should be around 1600 calories a day and manage to lose at a steady rate. Make sure you're tracking your intake properly and use a food scale to measure/weigh portions. When you don't have much to lose it becomes more difficult and this means less room for error.

Cardio is not going to get you lean. Focus on a solid weight training program and let your diet do the work for you.