PDA

View Full Version : Doubts about Intermittent Fasting

Andratos95
07-23-2014, 02:02 PM
Hello everyone!
I am a male of 19 years old.
I am trying to drop my bodyfat (currently I am about at 15, but it is just an estimation), but I also would like not to look "sick" and lose muscles (I actually would like to gain it, cause I am far away from my aims. A 9% bodyfat would be great). I have read online that the best way to achieve this is dieting (It could be considered as obvious, but I also read that cardio is very important. I do it on a daily basis though, but have not seen the effects I want yet). I stumbled upon this "diet pattern", the 16/8 intermittent fasting. I would probably open my eating window at 10 or 12 am and close it at 6 or 8 pm. My question is: when should I work out? Do I have to always workout every day at the same time once I start this "diet"? And what about cardio? I run and bike a lot (in the same days as gym workout days, which, in this summer period, are 5-6 times a week). One last thing... I take whey protein after my workouts. But before starting the 16 hours fasting window, should I eat some slow digest protein (such as eggs maybe? Cause I cannot afford too many different proteins nor BCAAs+proteins). Or would this last thing kind of defeat the purpose of fasting?
Thank you for your time :)

SuffolkPunch
07-23-2014, 02:08 PM
You don't need potions and powders, you should try to get your daily calories and macros (such as protein) from wholefood sources where possible.

Timings are generally not important. If IF makes it easy for you to control your appetite and fits your schedule, use it. If not, forget about it, there is no good reason to do it.

Mncdk
07-23-2014, 02:09 PM
The trick to IF is this:
Skip breakfast so you can eat more caloric dense meals later in the day.

That's all there is to it. Those "windows" are arbitrary, so don't use strict eating windows.
And you should exercise whenever you feel like it.

Andratos95
07-23-2014, 02:43 PM
Should I integrate another diet while doing IF though? For example (the only one I know), can I do the paleo diet while doing IF? Or is IF only about timing, and when I am not fasting I could eat all the pasta, pizza, desserts I want? (I am Italian, so it is very hard to resist the temptation of pasta and pizza lol).

AlwaysTryin
07-23-2014, 02:46 PM
Should I integrate another diet while doing IF though? For example (the only one I know), can I do the paleo diet while doing IF? Or is IF only about timing, and when I am not fasting I could eat all the pasta, pizza, desserts I want? (I am Italian, so it is very hard to resist the temptation of pasta and pizza lol).

IF is not a diet. It's a meal timing protocol.

Paleo is the arbitrary restriction of foods - stupid

davidolson22
07-23-2014, 03:52 PM
All you need to know about fat loss is in the stickies.

SirOttis40
07-23-2014, 03:53 PM
I tried IF after my cut stalled. My diet and workouts stayed the same, just ate all of my meals between 10 am and 8 pm. After stalling for almost a month I dropped 8 pounds in 2 weeks. Was this because if IF? I don't know for sure but that is the only thing I changed.

As said above, IF is not a diet. I basically do IIFIYM and ate within my feeding window. I did notice I didn't have as much energy as I needed on leg or back days so I may skip the IF on those days for a while and see if it helps. I wouldn't say IF is a world beater just yet, but it may be worth a try if you are stuck else where.

AlwaysTryin
07-23-2014, 03:59 PM
I tried IF after my cut stalled. My diet and workouts stayed the same, just ate all of my meals between 10 am and 8 pm. After stalling for almost a month I dropped 8 pounds in 2 weeks. Was this because if IF? I don't know for sure but that is the only thing I changed.

As said above, IF is not a diet. I basically do IIFIYM and ate within my feeding window. I did notice I didn't have as much energy as I needed on leg or back days so I may skip the IF on those days for a while and see if it helps. I wouldn't say IF is a world beater just yet, but it may be worth a try if you are stuck else where.

When did you weigh yourself each day

Andratos95
07-23-2014, 04:32 PM
Thank you to you all for answering very quickly :) I have another question. When in an IF protocol, what is better to get? BCAAs or Whey Protein? I have to buy one of those, which one do you think would be the best? Thanks

bigtree75
07-23-2014, 04:55 PM
Thank you to you all for answering very quickly :) I have another question. When in an IF protocol, what is better to get? BCAAs or Whey Protein? I have to buy one of those, which one do you think would be the best? Thanks

Many whey's have BCAA's in them

bambam601
07-23-2014, 05:41 PM

eating between 10 am and 8 pm is pretty normal lol.
if you want to call that IF, then go right ahead.

SirOttis40
07-23-2014, 06:25 PM
I typically weigh myself first thing every Monday morning right after I wake up.

And bambam, my schedule doesn't permit me to maintain a 16 hour fast, such as Berkhan prefers, so I have been going with 14. Call it what you want bud but it has worked for me. I don't really care about anything else. And I typically get up about 5 am and was eating breakfast at 5:30, and every 3-4 hours after that until bedtime for a while. So fasting for 14 hours was quite a change for me.

cumminslifter
07-23-2014, 08:01 PM
IF is not a diet. It's a meal timing protocol.

Paleo is the arbitrary restriction of foods - stupidthis^ i thought we were getting past all this non sense

jsullivan7
07-23-2014, 10:58 PM
You CAN NOT eat as much of whatever as you want just because you're doing IF. You still have to be eating under maintenance (eat less calories than you're burning). The only reason some people do IF when cutting is so that they can eat big meals in one-two sittings rather than smaller meals more spaced out. Just want to reiterate that they are still eating less calories than they're burning. if you can fit your pasta and pizza into your macros and calories and still be under maintenance than go for it though

SuffolkPunch
07-23-2014, 11:03 PM
ALL whey's have BCAA's in them
Fixed. It is a constituent part.

OP: A diet doesn't have to have a name or a gimmick. Paleo is one of the sillier concepts out there - it can often lead to consuming mostly minimally processed foods which is a good thing - but overly restricts other foods for no scientifically valid reason - which can lead to problems with peoples relationship with food or diet adherence.

A "diet" of any kind is just a way of controlling the calorie intake while ensuring that you get enough macro and micronutrients. This should be possible using foods you like and that are convenient to prepare - eaten at times that suit you. Read the macro calculation sticky threads for further information.

tbarabash
07-23-2014, 11:06 PM
Fixed. It is a constituent part.

OP: A diet doesn't have to have a name or a gimmick. Paleo is one of the sillier concepts out there - it can often lead to consuming mostly minimally processed foods which is a good thing - but overly restricts other foods for no scientifically valid reason - which can lead to problems with peoples relationship with food or diet adherence.

A "diet" of any kind is just a way of controlling the calorie intake while ensuring that you get enough macro and micronutrients. This should be possible using foods you like and that are convenient to prepare - eaten at times that suit you. Read the macro calculation sticky threads for further information.

Listen to this guy, full of knowledge.

I do IF because if I eat my cutting calories spaced t/o the day I will wake up in the middle of the night absolutely starving and not be able to sleep. Skipping breakfast and lunch, or skipping breakfast and eating just a light light lunch if I really feel like I need some food helps cause then I can have a huge dinner and a solid bedtime snack and go to bed happy as a baby.