PDA

View Full Version : Protein questions

oal25
07-21-2014, 04:07 PM
I have been recently taking the Amp Pro Performance protein powder that they sell at GNC and I have had no problems with it, however I have run out of money and can no longer buy protein powders and I am leaving for college when the summer is over so I will be unable to buy protein for awhile.

I would take it in a shake 30 min after my workout and get aprox 60g of protein. My question is if I replace the shake with a meal/snack that is aprox 60g such as 2 cans of tuna would I get the same results?

Also what is the general window that I should eat my protein so I can get the best results? I have been following the 30 min after workout but will it matter if I eat it an hour or so later?

-Thanks in advance

bmorebuilt
07-21-2014, 04:22 PM
I would take it in a shake 30 min after my workout and get aprox 60g of protein. My question is if I replace the shake with a meal/snack that is aprox 60g such as 2 cans of tuna would I get the same results?

Sure, as long as you're hitting your daily target for protein intake.

Also what is the general window that I should eat my protein so I can get the best results? I have been following the 30 min after workout but will it matter if I eat it an hour or so later?

There is no general window. You're fine eating your protein 30 minutes or 4 hours after your workout. Again, as long as you're hitting your daily target for protein intake.

Connor1226
07-21-2014, 04:59 PM
I have been recently taking the Amp Pro Performance protein powder that they sell at GNC and I have had no problems with it, however I have run out of money and can no longer buy protein powders and I am leaving for college when the summer is over so I will be unable to buy protein for awhile.

-Thanks in advance

You were wasting your money to begin with.
Protein powders give you no different results than eating real food. In fact, I would argue nothing can compare (supplements or food replacements) to a diet where all your needs are provided with whole and natural foods. That is what is superior if anything, not these processed to hell protein shakes.

Nutrient timing doesn't really matter. So just eat when you want.

FightGenome
07-21-2014, 06:10 PM
Start drinking more milk, cheapest sports drink out there. 20% whey - 80% casein. If you choose you could go with skim after your workouts with 0 fat content as fats will slow the absorption of the protein. If the taste is hard for you to handle my favorite thing to do is squirt in a water enhancer (like Mio) for flavors, 0 calories. ; ) If you need the calories for your diet, opt for the 1% or 2% at other times.

bigperm0107
07-21-2014, 06:25 PM

-Thanks in advance

I am broke as hell right now and have mostly been getting my protein from natural sources. I eat the shiat out of cottage cheese, pull down chicken breasts or ground turkey for dinner and breakfast always consists of a couple of eggs and some meat such as turkey bacon or turkey sausage. Also enjoy me some cheese too!

Former300lber
07-22-2014, 03:02 AM
Considering protein powder is probably your best bang for your buck in terms of $/g, you're **** out of luck OP.

ChiBearsfan
07-22-2014, 07:07 AM
Considering protein powder is probably your best bang for your buck in terms of $/g, you're **** out of luck OP.

He's probably not aware that he's being ripped off at GNC and that's why he thinks he can't afford whey powder.

Check out the store here at bodubuilding.com especially if you find a sale and get a discount code. Whey is cheaper than canned tuna on a $/gm basis as 300lber says.

Mdenatale
07-22-2014, 07:51 AM
He's probably not aware that he's being ripped off at GNC and that's why he thinks he can't afford whey powder.

Check out the store here at bodubuilding.com especially if you find a sale and get a discount code. Whey is cheaper than canned tuna on a $/gm basis as 300lber says.

Listen to this guy, he's done all the research on the value of tuna :) sorry ChiBearsfan, couldn't resisit.

OP, like others have said, if cost is your concern then you are going to have a hard time finding a cheaper source of protein than whey. Even as expensive as the GNC stuff is it is still a value compared to many other sources. To replace 60g of protein from whey you will need about 14oz of tuna, 9 oz of chicken breast, or 7oz of top round steak. It will be difficult to find those cheaper than the whey.